Tandy

Roger Goodell sends memo to all 32 teams regarding anthem

511 posts in this topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000859541/article/goodell-issues-memo-to-teams-on-national-anthem

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday issued a memo to all 32 teams addressing the issue of the national anthem before games.

In the memo, obtained by NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport, Goodell stated that the league believes "that everyone should stand for the National Anthem," and that "the controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues."

Goodell also wrote that the NFL has developed a plan to review during next week's Fall League Meeting in New York based on discussions with teams and players. The plan "would include such elements as an in-season platform to promote the work of our players on these core issues, and that will help to promote positive change in our country," per Goodell.

Below is the memo in full:

"We live in a country that can feel very divided. Sports, and especially the NFL, brings people together and lets them set aside those divisions, at least for a few hours. The current dispute over the National Anthem is threatening to erode the unifying power of our game, and is now dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country.

"I'm very proud of our players and owners who have done the hard work over the past year to listen, understand and attempt to address the underlying issues within their communities. At our September committee meetings, we heard directly from several players about why these issues are so important to them and how we can support their work. And last week, we met with the leadership of the NFLPA and more players to advance the dialogue.

"Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us. We also care deeply about our players and respect their opinions and concerns about critical social issues. The controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues. We need to move past this controversy, and we want to do that together with our players.

"Building on many discussions with clubs and players, we have worked to develop a plan that we will review with you at next week's League meeting. This would include such elements as an in-season platform to promote the work of our players on these core issues, and that will help to promote positive change in our country. We want to ensure that any work at the League level is consistent with the work that each club is doing in its own community, and that we dedicate a platform that can enable these initiatives to succeed. Additionally, we will continue the unprecedented dialogue with our players.

"I expect and look forward to a full and open discussion of these issues when we meet next week in New York. Everyone involved in the game needs to come together on a path forward to continue to be a force for good within our communities, protect the game, and preserve our relationship with fans throughout the country. The NFL is at its best when we ourselves are unified. In that spirit, let's resolve that next week we will meet this challenge in a unified and positive way."

40 minutes ago, Tandy said:

I agree with Roger, except my reason would be: the controversy over the Anthem is an excuse for not  having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues.

So let's just drop that, and see what the next tapdance will be.

NashvilleFalcon01 and Halcon-1 like this

2 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Meh cut the fake concern. Too many fans are offended. We get it. Just cut a $20 million check to the ACLU and be done with it

So they can put it on an off shore account. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

The NFL stands to bleed like a stuck pig both in ratings and in revenue if this shat isn’t removed from the game post haste. Dammm, is everything in the entertainment venue a political conduit for every real or perceived social injustice in our world? 

Take away the social platforms of the entitled and privileged in today’s society and give those begging to be heard a megaphone and have them stand on a corner and preach instead 

25 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Protests are not supposed to be comfortable, that is the entire point of them

Protests doesnt mean you disrespect your national flag / anthem by sitting down...and standing up for other nations national anthem when they went overseas.

These young athletes dont know what it is like to be in other countries....Im a son of immigrant who was raised overseas, now a citizen in this great country for over past  2 decades.

I have been to over 94 countries.....lived for year or less in half of them. 

Theres NO BETTER country than U.S.A!! 

Are we perfect? Absolutely, NO. But, all these issues can be handled before and after our national anthem at right platform being involved in our society and right people.

And these guys act as if they are oppressed and racially abused every waking moment.

Theres NO nation on this planet who accommodates so many different races, allows to practice their religion, express rights in one small fabric of our society and being world leader at the same hand.

#respectyourflag

#nationoverfootball 

I will banish all sports events, team gears if this trend continues...even if its my own Falcons.

Edited by mattyicefalcon

7 minutes ago, rounz said:

I agree with Roger, except my reason would be: "the controversy over the Anthem is an excuse for not  having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues."

So let's just drop that, and see what the next tapdance will be.

I vote to allow ESPN to have sole rights over any issue dealing with protesting...bar all others venues and outlets from even whispering anything about it! Especially the NFL, players, coaches, etc., unless it’s via ESPN! 

1 minute ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Protests doesnt mean you disrespect your national flag / anthem by sitting down...and standing up for other nations national anthem when they went overseas.

These young athletes dont know what it is like to be in other countries....Im a son of immigrant who was raised overseas, now a citizen in this great country for over past  2 decades.

I have been to over 94 countries.....lived for year or less in half of them. 

Theres NO BETTER country than U.S.A!! 

And these guys act as if they are oppressed and racially abused every waking moment.

Theres NO nation on this planet who accommodates so many different races, allows to practice their religion, express rights in one small fabric of our society and being world leader at the same hand.

#respectyourflag

#nationoverfootball 

I will banish all sports events, team gears if this trend continues...even if its my own Falcons.

Dilly, dilly!!!  X + 10

Faithful Falcon and UK13 like this

16 minutes ago, caponine said:

What Roger Goddell fails to realize is its not about him or the nfl, 

BINGO!!!

When will this putz and the rest of his over-paid league realize that we don't pay our money to get their political or social or personal opinions...I pay to be entertained, not to be lectured by folks who don't know shat from shinola..

What is the point of standing for the National Anthem if we are coerced or forced to do so, what meaning does it have? It does not matter whether it is the NFL, workplace or a PTA meeting, your response to the anthem should be consistent, no matter where you here it.

Those that put meaning behind standing for the National Anthem, should show their support by standing proud. Those that believe this country to be hypocritical should be able to put their careers and personal prestige on the line to show their lack of support for the way things are. Maybe the ones that support standing, should ask those who don't why they have an issue with the ceremony, and find out why everyone may not feel the same way they do. 

Imagine this happening in the NFL 40-years ago, the players involved would be gone before the next game. So I think no matter who you are, the atmosphere for staging a personal protest in this country has improved, whether we want to admit it or not. Things may not be perfect yet, but they have improved, so let's not go back in time.

Lucas, mar31985, Vogelgryff and 4 others like this

4 minutes ago, roguebeaver said:

I vote to allow ESPN to have sole rights over any issue dealing with protesting...bar all others venues and outlets from even whispering anything about it! Especially the NFL, players, coaches, etc., unless it’s via ESPN! 

Can't think of one yet, huh?

Just now, rounz said:

Can't think of one yet, huh?

Nope, none at all that involves protesting, unless it worms it’s way into the NFL! 

1 minute ago, roguebeaver said:

Nope, none at all that involves protesting, unless it worms it’s way into the NFL! 

Nice two-step

6 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

What is the point of standing for the National Anthem if we are coerced or forced to do so, what meaning does it have? It does not matter whether it is the NFL, workplace or a PTA meeting, your response to the anthem should be consistent, no matter where you here it.

Those that put meaning behind standing for the National Anthem, should show their support by standing proud. Those that believe this country to be hypocritical should be able to put their careers and personal prestige on the line to show their lack of support for the way things are. Maybe the ones that support standing, should ask those who don't why they have an issue with the ceremony, and find out why everyone may not feel the same way they do. 

Imagine this happening in the NFL 40-years ago, the players involved would be gone before the next game. So I think no matter who you are, the atmosphere for staging a personal protest in this country has improved, whether we want to admit it or not. Things may not be perfect yet, but they have improved, so let's not go back in time.

it should be a privilege an utmost honor. 

if anyone has soo much problem with their country ....they just should just effin leave!! 

or if they want to do something, contribute in society, work as a public servant and stay engaged in our community.

if one cant, then they should effin leave !!! its simple ...surrender your citizenship and just effin leave!!

Birdy Dird and SacFalcFan like this

Holding a meeting will do nothing, its a problem outside of the nfl. Its just going to make it worse. This is not a problem the nfl can solve. People keep bringing up these other things, kapernick was protesting about 1 particular thing. Goddell listen its not about the flag , its not about race nor the national anthem. When Kap first started this

Edited by caponine
Flying Falcon likes this

7 minutes ago, Jumpin Jehosaphat said:

BINGO!!!

When will this putz and the rest of his over-paid league realize that we don't pay our money to get their political or social or personal opinions...I pay to be entertained, not to be lectured by folks who don't know shat from shinola..

Exactly he is getting involved in something he has no business getting into. 

FalconsSavant likes this

5 minutes ago, Vogelgryff said:

Is it really honoring the flag to involve it in an entertainment arena?

everything in our society exists because of our national flag.

Go get some history lessons about our great nation and what patriotism is. 

Hopefully, you wont ask such questions.

FalconsSavant likes this

Good. Now make and enforce the rule impartiality and we’re good and back to football I hope.