Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MayorWest13

Cam makes boneheaded comment in a press conference

150 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, stizz said:

I just said my opinion man. We all have views of the other gender that we'd never state publicly that they'd surprise us with if they knew otherwise. If you listed off Vouge's top 10 nail polishes for the season, it would be surprising.

If a guy is paid to know makeup for a living, knowing that wouldn't be surprising.

I'm pretty sure his intent wasn't malicious, just chose the wrong words ("it's funny", it's strange", or "I'm not used to it", nothing wrong with that sentiment)... the point is, up until this year or maybe even last, fans and players never really saw women analysts on any of the shows (not the fans or players fault on that either) and I can't say I ever noticed a woman journalist asking questions so it is uncommon still to hear a woman speak about the sport in the same jargon.  I know plenty of women that enjoy football, most of which couldn't hold a technical conversation regarding the sport mainly because they just don't care all that much about the depth.  This PC world needs to learn to unclench the sphincter.  Also I'm pretty tired of hearing about this being a man's world, I contend with the same jackasses as everyone else though in a different way so be done with all that.  This is an egoists world and they come in all shapes, sizes, types, colors and creeds.  

What's gonna happen when a coach goes Denny Green on a woman who asks a question that sets them off?  People need to think before they react to an emotion, more often than not the emotion is wrong and detrimental.  

35 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Sorry, but what year are you living in?  It's not "PC" to give respect to a reporter and not bring up their gender.  Cam's young enough to realize that, even if you think that female reporters are so strange to him that he didn't know how to act.

He could have gone without saying what he said to be sure, but as much as I know him (admittedly not all the great) I can't recall any issues in the past of him treating women badly or him speaking poorly about them so there is no precedent for why he said what he said in regards to the reaction some folks are having.  She took offense and requested an apology and he should have apologized, but do we really think he was being sexist with the intent to condescend to her?  There are plenty of post game clips out there of reporters being "disrespected" by a coach or player.  Are you suggesting women reporters get more respect than their male counterparts?  Oh, and for the record I'm living in the year of the Rooster.

edit: oh boo, why did you delete your reply?

I deleted my reply because I realized that I don't want to get into this with you.  All I'll say is that if it bothers you that the reporter felt this was offensive, you might want to think about why you actually care about this.

8 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

I deleted my reply because I realized that I don't want to get into this with you.  All I'll say is that if it bothers you that the reporter felt this was offensive, you might want to think about why you actually care about this.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, what bothers me are all the white knights out here taking up a cause... more like making up a cause 

video is NSFW!!!

35 minutes ago, chitowndirtybird said:

He could have gone without saying what he said to be sure, but as much as I know him (admittedly not all the great) I can't recall any issues in the past of him treating women badly or him speaking poorly about them so there is no precedent for why he said what he said in regards to the reaction some folks are having.  She took offense and requested an apology and he should have apologized, but do we really think he was being sexist with the intent to condescend to her?  There are plenty of post game clips out there of reporters being "disrespected" by a coach or player.  Are you suggesting women reporters get more respect than their male counterparts?  Oh, and for the record I'm living in the year of the Rooster.

edit: oh boo, why did you delete your reply?

If saying “females don’t understand football” isn’t sexist than nothing is 

1 minute ago, NeonDeion said:

If saying “females don’t understand football” isn’t sexist than nothing is 

You and I both know he didn't say that, and you even used quotes.  You inferred that but if you can't tell the difference then the point is moot... if you think what Cam said was so bad then check out that video I posted, there are TONS of examples out there of how much worse it could be and how much worse it will likely be once someone really goes off. 

This is sad but I feel the need to say I have no issues with women doing anything and everything in this world.  I think it's absurd it took civilized societies so long to realize that half the population could really make a difference.  There are plenty of women I've met in my life that put me to shame in one aspect or another with their talents and abilities.  They are just as talented and qualified, if not more so than most men.

14 minutes ago, chitowndirtybird said:

You and I both know he didn't say that, and you even used quotes.  You inferred that but if you can't tell the difference then the point is moot... if you think what Cam said was so bad then check out that video I posted, there are TONS of examples out there of how much worse it could be and how much worse it will likely be once someone really goes off. 

This is sad but I feel the need to say I have no issues with women doing anything and everything in this world.  I think it's absurd it took civilized societies so long to realize that half the population could really make a difference.  There are plenty of women I've met in my life that put me to shame in one aspect or another with their talents and abilities.  They are just as talented and qualified, if not more so than most men.

Ok since you’re a literalist, I’ll break it down.

what he actually said:

”It’s funny to hear females talk about routes”

What’s your interpretation of this?

Mine is: It’s funny to hear females talk about football knowledge.

How is that any better?

20 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Ok since you’re a literalist, I’ll break it down.

what he actually said:

”It’s funny to hear females talk about routes”

What’s your interpretation of this?

Mine is: It’s funny to hear females talk about football knowledge.

How is that any better?

It seems folks are hung up on the word "funny".  They interpret it as condescending like "it's funny you think you know football, aw how cute", yet he used it as in "there is a funny smell" or, "that is a funny lookin dude", get it, as in it's just different and not expected?  And because the reporter got upset and asked for an apology it's been blown way out of proportion.  HE SHOULD HAVE APOLOGIZED regardless however.  If he really said worse to her when she confronted him after the presser than it's news to me that Cam is a sexist a-hol

it was definitely said in jest and without too much thought behind it, but i don't see it as this huge sexist, disparaging comment that will set women and female reporters back. would it have been as sexist for a man to make a comment about something he wore postgame and cam to give the same response? i think if you look hard enough you can find undertones of offense in anyone's response towards just about anything. if he really felt that way towards women, well correct me if i'm wrong, i'd believe there would be more patterns that supported him being a sexist. stupid response to a not-so-great question imo.

14 minutes ago, chitowndirtybird said:

It seems folks are hung up on the word "funny".  They interpret it as condescending like "it's funny you think you know football, aw how cute", yet he used it as in "there is a funny smell" or, "that is a funny lookin dude", get it, as in it's just different and not expected?  And because the reporter got upset and asked for an apology it's been blown way out of proportion.  HE SHOULD HAVE APOLOGIZED regardless however.  If he really said worse to her when she confronted him after the presser than it's news to me that Cam is a sexist a-hol

That’s a huge stretch man. I don’t know how you can watch that video and not read his facial expression as condescending 

vitaman likes this

Just now, NeonDeion said:

That’s a huge stretch man. I don’t know how you can watch that video and not read his facial expression as condescending 

I can totally see why folks interpret that but I have no back history to draw from to jump to the conclusion that he was being sexist for the sake of being sexist and the fact is women being in these positions is still very new, as of just last season in fact, which is awesome mind you (Kay Adams on GMF knows her s^*t), so for me it's easy to see, but I'm bothered by her saying he said worse when she confronted him.  I'd like to know what was going on with that.

We may be social creatures, but that doesn't mean we are all good at communicating... and... I hesitate to go here but, I'm not exactly sure how educated Cam is to be able to articulate that idea properly.  It's likely he said what he said innocently enough in his own mind then when she confronted him he got upset and didn't react in the proper manner.

I find a pragmatic approach to these situations yields better results than thinking through emotions.  I see why people are upset, I just think they got it all wrong, and that's not to say I have no sympathy to the plight of women.  Historically and statistically men are the number one cause pain or duress for women to the point that it's amazing the species has gotten this far.

Kerwin likes this

9 hours ago, stizz said:

He isn't wrong, his mistake was saying it publicly.

Same deal as if a dude got to talking in depth about nail polish. You just don't expect it.

Not if you were in a Nail Salon.  The female SPORTS BEAT WRITER is AT A FOOTBALL PRESS CONFERENCE talking to an NFL Quarterback.  Big difference. 

2 hours ago, chitowndirtybird said:

I can totally see why folks interpret that but I have no back history to draw from to jump to the conclusion that he was being sexist for the sake of being sexist and the fact is women being in these positions is still very new, as of just last season in fact, which is awesome mind you (Kay Adams on GMF knows her s^*t), so for me it's easy to see, but I'm bothered by her saying he said worse when she confronted him.  I'd like to know what was going on with that.

We may be social creatures, but that doesn't mean we are all good at communicating... and... I hesitate to go here but, I'm not exactly sure how educated Cam is to be able to articulate that idea properly.  It's likely he said what he said innocently enough in his own mind then when she confronted him he got upset and didn't react in the proper manner.

I find a pragmatic approach to these situations yields better results than thinking through emotions.  I see why people are upset, I just think they got it all wrong, and that's not to say I have no sympathy to the plight of women.  Historically and statistically men are the number one cause pain or duress for women to the point that it's amazing the species has gotten this far.

The problem is you're not seeing it from all perspectives. You may say you're "thinking through emotions" - but no, you're not. 

Cam is a celebrity. idol to thousands, maybe millions of kids (whether we like it or not) and has a duty as a public figure to not be a total piece of **** (we have enough of those in every position Hollywood to Washington). 

Disrespecting somebody for doing their job is bush-league ****. We all know he is a baby but he degraded women in football across the league with what he said, period. It was sexist, it was stupid, and he deserves to get called on it. Period.

This has been a most entertaining read.  The reality is everybody is right.  A lot of people would interpret it was a sexist comment but it also is the truth about everyone of us.  There are thoughts and feelings in every last person that we have normalized internally that would offend someone else if spoken aloud.  Some take the leap that his comment was condescending while others see it as him just not having a woman come at him with a technical question.  He could have been saying that a woman should not know such knowledge (sexist) or he could have been impressed if he had not been around women who possessed technical knowledge (surprised).  If you have an opinion one way or the other, you are drawing conclusions based on what "you" think. 

21 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

This has been a most entertaining read.  The reality is everybody is right.  A lot of people would interpret it was a sexist comment but it also is the truth about everyone of us.  There are thoughts and feelings in every last person that we have normalized internally that would offend someone else if spoken aloud.  Some take the leap that his comment was condescending while others see it as him just not having a woman come at him with a technical question.  He could have been saying that a woman should not know such knowledge (sexist) or he could have been impressed if he had not been around women who possessed technical knowledge (surprised).  If you have an opinion one way or the other, you are drawing conclusions based on what "you" think. 

Well it's sexist either way you describe it right there. One is thinking women shouldn't be talking football (overtly sexist) and one is thinking women aren't capable (or just don't know because reasons?) of understanding football the way the reporter did (passively sexist). Either way you're defining what she should know by her gender.

And regardless of the possibility that what he said/did was totally innocent, the way he spoke, laughed at her/the concept, and acted, was completely unbecoming of a celebrity/idol to kids that is $100mm banked. 

Also, is your avatar supposed to be Eli Manning dressed as Speed Racer taking a ****? Lol