Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MayorWest13

Cam makes boneheaded comment in a press conference

150 posts in this topic

I don't like Cam one bit, but this is ridiculous. He's a ********* and everyone know it. Being one is his god given right,Those of us who don't like him because of it, that is ours. 

3 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

I don't like Cam one bit, but this is ridiculous. He's a ********* and everyone know it. Being one is his god given right,Those of us who don't like him because of it, that is ours. 

So its cool that he's disrespecting women (who actually hold multiple positions in the NFL and sports media, **** a few even  tried out for kicker  and ST for a couple teams) with countless  kids watching and looking  up to him?

It's not like he's some  nobody or  some idiot newscaster, he's a celebrity and idol to  a lot of people (regardless of the fact that  you and I  know he's a moron). 

NeonDeion likes this

1 hour ago, SamMills51 said:

Unacceptable comment. Something you shouldn't say on a public platform.

But even so, seems we always get some drama from Cam before we play the Lions. Last time, he called Suh "Donkey Kong Suh" which brought a whole host of drama as well.

Donkey Kong Suh was pretty funny!! :lol:

No.11 likes this

3 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

And then there's Roddy White.

Should probably watch the whole thing in context to hear what the question actually was.  If she has no clue what she's talking about then I can see the laughing, but even still, the comment is sexist AF (and Roddy's is close too).

roguebeaver likes this

15 minutes ago, Robb4242 said:

Should probably watch the whole thing in context to hear what the question actually was.  If she has no clue what she's talking about then I can see the laughing, but even still, the comment is sexist AF (and Roddy's is close too).

They definitely are. And nah the lady did know, that's why Cam laughed.  They're both **** and grown men should know better. 

I'd give someone the stank  eye if they said that **** in person watching a game... coming from celebrities? Nah **** that. Ridiculous. 

I can't get on-board with people who ***** about racism but ignore sexism. You either admit prejudice on all fronts or pretend it ain't real. No picking and choosing. 

2 hours ago, caponine said:

Hows that boneheaded ?? Running routes is a whole lot more complicated than just plain sight. Some females think of it from plain sight. They see a guy running a crossing route and thinks its easy

This...

2 hours ago, Dirtybird56 said:

While he complains about prejudice 

...and that.

2 hours ago, Kerwin said:

From some idiot named Joseph Zucker's article on BR:

Exactly as I mentioned above... Cam never said or implied that she didn't understand routes.  He merely said it was "funny" to hear her talk about routes.

That being said, the female reporter also tweeted (take her word for it or don't): "I spoke with him (Cam) after and it was worse".  So perhaps Cam tried to explain himself later by making actual sexist comments.  I can't defend those, but IMO the first one he said is no big deal.

Did you see the press conference?? He was clearly implying she shouldn't talk about something she has no idea about because she is a woman. Though perhaps he was right she didn't know what she was talking about (most sports journalists don't know **** about what they are talking about regardless of gender) the way he said it was clearly disrespectful and nasty, and focusing on her gender in today's world shows you what a clueless idiot Cam is. 

Robb4242, vitaman and jas82487 like this

2 hours ago, Robb4242 said:

Not sure why it's funny to Cam, after all, they have a female playing QB.

at least they have one who dresses like most people's grandmothers

Robb4242 likes this

2 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

I've seen girls play flag football, they know routes. Pure sexist.

apparently cam's never watched the lingerie league either.......

one would think he'd at least be watching for fashion tips, if nothing else

:ninja::ninja:

Falconsfan567 likes this

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article177107336.html

Cam Newton’s sexist comment to Observer reporter wasn’t one bit funny

BY SCOTT FOWLER

OCTOBER 04, 2017 8:30 PM

Cam Newton laughed at and belittled one of my sportswriting colleagues at The Observer Wednesday, and that is inexcusable.

Jourdan Rodrigue, for the past year one of two beat writers assigned by The Observer to cover the Carolina Panthers, asked Newton during his weekly press conference about wide receiver Devin Funchess’s routes.

“It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes,” Newton said, laughing to himself and then repeating, “It’s funny.” He punctuated the remark with a couple of exaggerated smiles. Only then did he answer the question.

I was in that room, which held about 30 media members, and there was dead silence when Newton proclaimed “It’s funny” – because actually it wasn’t funny at all. To state the obvious, this is 2017 and not 1967. All Rodrigue wanted to do on Wednesday was her job, and instead she found herself in the middle of a social media firestorm.

After the news conference, Rodrigue wanted to find Newton and talk about what he said. She did catch up with him briefly. The conversation, according to Rodrigue, was not taped but went something like this:

She asked the quarterback if he really didn’t think a female could understand routes.

Newton said she wasn’t really seeing specific routes when watching the game, she was just seeing if somebody was open. She argued that he didn’t know what she saw nor how hard she had studied football, and that maybe the two of them needed to have a deeper conversation.

Newton said that maybe he should have said it was funny to hear “reporters” talk about routes and that, if she actually did know about them, then she knew more than most reporters. Then he gestured toward the locker room, still filled with her colleagues.

Rodrigue ended by asking Newton – whom she had introduced herself to on the first day of her employment with The Observer in October 2016 – if he knew her name after she had covered the team almost every day for the past year.

Newton said he did not.

“Jourdan Rodrigue, Charlotte Observer,” she said, and then walked away.

Panthers spokesman Steven Drummond said later Wednesday afternoon via a statement: “I have spoken with Jourdan and Cam and I know they had a conversation where he expressed regret for using those words. We strive as a department to make the environment for media comfortable for everyone covering the team.”

What should have been forthcoming immediately from the quarterback, of course, was an apology.

But Rodrigue said Newton did not apologize. She said of Newton’s original comment to her question: “I was dismayed by his response, which not only belittled me but countless other women before me and beside me who work in similar jobs. I sought Mr. Newton out as he left the locker room a few minutes later. He did not apologize for his comments.”

‘Just plain wrong’

Women have regularly been covering pro sports for decades. Newton’s original comment was sexist and ill-informed, and the follow-up conversation was no better. The NFL understood all this a lot more quickly than the Panthers did and put out its own statement condemning Newton’s comments.

Cam Newton

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton’s comments about an Observer reporter have been condemned by the NFL as “just plain wrong and disrespectful.”
Winslow Townson AP

“The comments are just plain wrong and disrespectful to the exceptional female reporters and all journalists who cover our league,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told The Observer. “They do not reflect the thinking of the league.”

Let me just add this: I’ve been covering the Panthers for the past 23 seasons, and Rodrigue knows more about the subtle intricacies of football than I do.

For instance: I sort of know what a wide receiver’s “route tree” is. Rodrigue knows exactly what a route tree is and can diagram one for you.

I kind of understand what a “3” technique is for a defensive lineman. Rodrigue knows just what it means.

So yes, she’s a 25-year-old woman, and she knows a ton about football.

2 hours ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

He's a childish little boy in a grown man's body. A crybaby, I'm glad we have a classy QB like Matt Ryan.

Nope, not a childish lil boy..,in a grown mans body! He is an ego centric clown that’s found a way to make serious money. Ok, so folks here’s the dude people want to respect. Child man, azzz clown, computer thief, test cheating, punk.  Well rich punk anyway.  

papachaz likes this

He isn't wrong, his mistake was saying it publicly.

Same deal as if a dude got to talking in depth about nail polish. You just don't expect it.