Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
parmenion

We were outcoached - both offensively and defensively

46 posts in this topic

Every team has injuries, every team has turnovers but when an elite team like the Falcons - can't change plays after what they see transpiring then we don't have the right people in the right positions.

Both of our Offensive and Defensive coordinators are not ready for prime time.

In four games we have not put significant pressure on quarterbacks, Matt Ryan has looked like he did two years ago (scared to get hit)  and Trufant and Co - a little below average.

To say we are unhappy with the play in the first four games is an understatement.

dothan_birdman and osiruz like this

5 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Atlanta is third in the league in sacks.

And we would have had more if Taylor was not so mobile..... We actually got pretty  consistent pressure on him forcing him out of the pocket.....he is just a great athlete at the position

Just now, falconsd56 said:

And we would have had more if Taylor was not so mobile..... We actually got pretty  consistent pressure on him forcing him out of the pocket.....he is just a great athlete at the position

he forgot he was supposed to just stand there.

Vandy, poutlipper, osiruz and 2 others like this

9 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

both valid points

9 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

name another team to spot a team 3 turnovers, including giving up a defensive TD and not get blown away.

6 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

name another team to spot a team 3 turnovers, including giving up a defensive TD and not get blown away.

That's the thing. We are committing turnovers and not getting any takaways. The team is 28th in turnovers to takaways - minus 3 on the year. That's not sustainable - that stat has to get better.

1 minute ago, raysnill1 said:

That's kind of my thoughts... with our expectations of this team, we know we have not played well.  Yet we're 3-1.  Good teams fix their issues throughout the season, rarely do you see a juggernaut from week 1 on. Green Bay was 2-5 last year before "running the table" to the championship game.  We've had 2 3 turnover games this season, and we're 1-1.  I'll take that.... when I'll be concerned is when we get back from the bye if things don't look better. 

1 minute ago, poutlipper said:

That's kind of my thoughts... with our expectations of this team, we know we have not played well.  Yet we're 3-1.  Good teams fix their issues throughout the season, rarely do you see a juggernaut from week 1 on. Green Bay was 2-5 last year before "running the table" to the championship game.  We've had 2 3 turnover games this season, and we're 1-1.  I'll take that.... when I'll be concerned is when we get back from the bye if things don't look better. 

Co-signed. I feel exactly the same way. We drop to 3-2 against Miami, I'll start getting concerned.

poutlipper and rugger8 like this

I dont wanna do it but I have to give  Sean McDermott big credit for a solid game plan.

The Bills have a Season long advantage over the NFL same as a New QB, and they opened up

a can of Whup that a$$ and poured it on.

1 minute ago, Karst41 said:

I dont wanna do it but I have to give  Sean McDermott big credit for a solid game plan.

The Bills have a Season long advantage over the NFL same as a New QB, and they opened up

a can of Whup that a$$ and poured it on.

See, I disagree.. we put up 391 yards on them, beat them in first downs, beat them in time of possession... we lost our #1 and #2 and were left with Gabriel, Hardy, and Williams.  If we have Sanu and Julio, or just one or the other, I think we win.

Posted (edited)

Lost both starting WRs...

One hugely blown call that leads to a TD...

Another WR tipped ball for interception...

And yet, we still only lose by less than a TD. Do people even watch the games? Or are they just talking out of their @ss?

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
rugger8, NeonDeion, anm263 and 7 others like this

Last week on 680 I think it was Kincaid who was preaching that were are simply the "better team" and that is correct.

Welcome to the NFL or Any given Sunday,  pick one or both ?

2 minutes ago, poutlipper said:

the game was just weird. first of all Sanu scored on that wildcat run, but we scored on the next play so whatever. Shady was tackled about a yard short on that 3rd and 17 play and they spotted him a full 2 yards ahead ... ok whatever. Taylor ran out short of a first, got a first. the "fumble" ... serious? both Dean Blandino and Mike Pireira, as well as the game announcers said that an incorrect call, but what's really messed is that a ref was waving the plat off, which is why no one went in pursuit of the player. over-all weird game considering Buffalo did get penalized a lot but somehow we got rammed. BTW, what was the personal foul on the fumble return?

5 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

the game was just weird. first of all Sanu scored on that wildcat run, but we scored on the next play so whatever. Shady was tackled about a yard short on that 3rd and 17 play and they spotted him a full 2 yards ahead ... ok whatever. Taylor ran out short of a first, got a first. the "fumble" ... serious? both Dean Blandino and Mike Pireira, as well as the game announcers said that an incorrect call, but what's really messed is that a ref was waving the plat off, which is why no one went in pursuit of the player. over-all weird game considering Buffalo did get penalized a lot but somehow we got rammed. BTW, what was the personal foul on the fumble return?

They never said it on TV.  No clue.

26 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

But spotting other teams 3 turnovers is a pretty big problem. Our QB is playing like he did in 2015, not like his MVP 2016 season.

And the good teams win the turnover battle.

rounz likes this

Think outcoached is thrown around too much.  Even with the debates on the last two play calls I think poor execution was more an issue than anything yesterday.  That, and having to go with your 3rd and 4th receivers.   Defense gave up one TD and Hauschka booted two from 54+ yards.  That was with a rookie playing at FS.

We got beat because Buffalo played a better game/executed when it counted.

falconsd56 and raysnill1 like this

4 minutes ago, slamee101 said:

Think outcoached is thrown around too much.  Even with the debates on the last two play calls I think poor execution was more an issue than anything yesterday.  That, and having to go with your 3rd and 4th receivers.   Defense gave up one TD and Hauschka booted two from 54+ yards.  That was with a rookie playing at FS.

All of the above is true, but I think we were outcoached as well.

after all, execution comes back to coaching.

14 minutes ago, slamee101 said:

I agree with this. I too think that the term is thrown around too loosely.

For the most part the team was in position to make plays - but they didn't execute when it mattered the most. Way too many missed tackles, drops and missed throws. Even with all of that, we were still in a position to win.

raysnill1 likes this

I keep seeing that we're 3-1 despite not playing well..... But I have to disagree I think we are playing very well just not up to our standards and capabilities.

We have been unlucky as we have been bad....probably more so.

There are certainly things to work on but there are a lot of teams in the NFL who would kill to be three and one and average 400 yards a game on offense right now...... That is how good we are we are averaging 400 yards a game and not playing our best and sharpest football.

5 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

I agree with this. I too think that the term is thrown around too loosely.

For the most part the team was in position to make plays - but they didn't execute when it mattered the most. Way too many missed tackles, drops and missed throws. It happens.

So missed tackles et al overall sloppy play aren't a coaching issue? Not just this one game either, but missed tackles all season long?