Post your ideas on how to decrease CTE in NFL players.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Hometownfan said:

The biggest cause of brain trauma in teen aged boys is automobile accidents.  The careful Mom who won't let her son play football, smiles proudly as the son is given his first car.....

concussion is mild TBI,. im curious of the source of that statistic, because it ĉould be looked at different ways depending on definitions.

also a LOT more boys drive than play football. just not feeling the comparison...what are you getting at? would you let your son play football or not let him drive?

23 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Isn't specifically TATF, but obviously includes players from all teams including ours. 

I have some brain damage from concussions that I have suffered in my life. I think I had a light concussion in H.S. and had one walking on in college that I had no business doing. Other than that I have had 3 more severe concussions in ATV accidents. I developed epilepsy and have problems with anxiety and to a lesser degree depression. I'm sure a few posters just said "Oh ok now I get it." Anyway the CTE epidemic is something that I relate too and just can't imagine the **** these men live in. I keep posting stuff on CTE in threads so I would rather just start a post and hopefully get a real dialogue going.

I have my own ideas that I will share if this thread goes anywhere. I would love to hear any and all ideas you guys have, and I plan to write to the NFLPA, and other organizations regarding possible changes that could be made. I have a professor of neurobiology that has promised to help me with it and sign his name along side mine to give it credibility.

So post any ideas you guys have. No idea is stupid because it is a brainstorm exercise. I definitely won't flame anyone for anything they say as I just appreciate the participation, and awareness that such participation creates. Thank you falcon or any other fans that are from other teams that come hear for the entertainment. It is definitely one of the better message boards in the league.

Thank you guys, and gals. Go Falcons!

A couple of rule changes that could eliminate the need for violent hits that lead to head injuries:

•  Would be to throw a flag for any defender hitting a WR with the perceived intent of making a bone-rattling hit to jar the ball loose vs making a tackle to just bring the Receiver to the ground. Look what happened to Allen last week.
  • The NFL could live without kick-off returns, just too violent with too many injuries for the benefit of a couple of extra yards. Keep punt returns.
  • QB is the only player on the field that can be blind-sided from behind, causing potential whip-lash and possible serious head injury. Not sure how to address this play without drastically changing the true integrity of the game, but should still be addressed and the danger of head injury diminished. 
Edited by Cheap Talk

I'm not going to read 3 pages. Sorry if this has been posted. I believe you have to create an incentive for players to take their head out of plays and use proper technique. I am 100% serious in saying they need to remove helmets or make this more of a shell that will stop abrasions. I played football out in my yard virtually every day for 5 straight summers and only remember one knock on the head. That came when I was tackled into the side of my house which doubled as the sideline. I had a ton of busted lips and bruises, but I never lowered my bear head and used it for a weapon...it would have been non-intuitive. 

If you give them a weapon, they are going to use it. Not to do so would be to give the opponent an edge. Go back to leather and call it a day. No purple!

20 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Does it stop the brain from bouncing around in the skull upon contact?  I read another article on that helmet about how it disperses the energy generated upon contact, but concussions aren't the only problem with regards to CTE.

Sounds like what we need is inertial dampeners.  Too bad this scifi technology doesn't exist.

19 hours ago, Hometownfan said:

The biggest cause of brain trauma in teen aged boys is automobile accidents.  The careful Mom who won't let her son play football, smiles proudly as the son is given his first car.....

Pretty slanted comparison as almost every teenage boy will ride in an automobile at some point.  How about you start posting percentages. 

Play on natural grass only, improve helmet design and require all players to use the safest/best helmets and require all players to have annual (or more regular) brain scans to identify and monitor any damage so that they can make informed decisions.

Rugby tackling makes sense from a safety perspective, but it does means conceding yardage in the tackle which is tough thing to commit to in a game that is fought - and ultimately won and lost - over small amounts of yardage.

2 ways to decrease CTE

1. Don’t play tackle football 

2. Change the game to flag football. 

Thats about it. My cousin Jeremey Mincey played 10 years in the nfl and I’m worried he has CTE. I’ve seen signs and he’s gotten a settlement from the nfl. I don’t know what it was but I’d bet it was for something dealing with head/brain  issues.

I wonder at times if I have a touch of CTE. I was never knocked out but have taken some hard shots and given some and had headaches after. I’ve been knocked dizzy but never left the game. And this was before the “protocol” era of football. I rarely get headaches unless it’s sinus and my memory is still good. I don’t have violent outrages and I’m  still laid back and chill but still I have to wonder. I don’t even know if I really want my 10 year old son to play.

I still deal with an unresolved rotator cuff and a knee injury to this day. And when it’s gonna rain I don’t need a forecast because I feel pain in my joints where I was hurt playing. Smh. The game I love is a dangerous game. And I didn’t play nfl. Semi pro but still. What about the guys that never made money from playing but have CTE?? 

The best shot is to re-design the equipment. Nothing hard allowed. Surely in the modern era of 3D printing we could come up with something that is better than what we have now. Leading with crown of the helmet is a symptom of the equipment we use. It would be the end of the game as we know it ...but not the end of the game. The cte thing will end it unless it turns out to be false science.

18 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

concussion is mild TBI,. im curious of the source of that statistic, because it ĉould be looked at different ways depending on definitions.

also a LOT more boys drive than play football. just not feeling the comparison...what are you getting at? would you let your son play football or not let him drive?

I'd let my son play football AND let him drive.

http://www.stlouischildrens.org/diseases-conditions/head-injury

On 9/28/2017 at 2:49 AM, quotemokc said:

Football along with many other pro sports is high risk, high reward. If you do not want to risk injury then do not play and get a normal job that is far less glamorous and profitable.

Plenty of people get paid less to do far more dangerous work.

Although I think the NFL needs to develop more disposable helmets that absorb impacts and crumple the same way new cars do to lessen the trauma inside the head.

Yea, but comparing football to a job is illogical imho. These other jobs are necessary; football is not. . . 

22 hours ago, Hometownfan said:

So long as she teaches him to be responsible. . . . . Like the HoF Kurt Warner, I will not let my son explore football. . . .screw that. . . 

2 hours ago, the_sheff said:

Pretty slanted comparison as almost every teenage boy will ride in an automobile at some point.  How about you start posting percentages. 

How about realizing dangers exist in almost every human activity.  Martial arts are often to blame for head injuries, but I know Moms who won't let their sons play football, yet revel in their karate successes.

1 hour ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

There's no good answer to that other than to eliminate the sport. Keep creating music while all is good )))

Agreed . .  . . but too much money involved for players, team execs, team owners, and other special interests. You'd be surprised what people would take a chance at doing all in the name of the almighty dollar. . .

On 9/28/2017 at 0:50 PM, MAD597 said:

The issue is Football is an entertainment/sport job, it's overall importance to society is pretty low on the totem pole and over time will be ragarded as not worth the life long toll it will almost always take on people who play it.

Rates of CTE's in football players examined after death were something like 99% 

I don't think you understand how much football effects the economy. It boosts all local businesses near the venue. Hotels see massive increases in revenue during football season. Hundreds of thousands of people would lose their jobs if football went away. It's not as simple as football is entertainment.