Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AF89

Playoffs Clinched!!!

20 posts in this topic

Playoffs are such a weird system in football.

I hope the MLS gets rid of it. If they want a champion system just have the east and west set up as a league, and then have the champions of the west play the east in a massive champions league final/superbowl type of event at the end.

On 10/6/2017 at 0:12 PM, Forever Julian said:

Playoffs are such a weird system in football.

I hope the MLS gets rid of it. If they want a champion system just have the east and west set up as a league, and then have the champions of the west play the east in a massive champions league final/superbowl type of event at the end.

Attendance for most of these middle of the standings teams are poor enough without taking away their mathematical chance at still lifting a trophy.  Not to mention a team like Toronto running away with things early would just be boring. We get enough of that in Europe.

You can't do away with the playoffs without a pro/reg system in place anyway (and we are many many many years from being able to pull that off).

Also there's only like 1 real champions league spot to play for unless you win the US Open or are a Canadian club. We've also no Europa equivalent, or threat of relegation and the domestic cup is a joke unless your a NASL team or until the actual final. There would be literally nothing to play for. Less even cause you can still pick up a fair amount of depth in the MLS draft by losing.

Frankly I'd like to see more European leagues experiment with a playoff. Mexico does them and their awsome.

A Premier League playoff featuring the final four teams in the table would be dope as heII (as would one featuring the bottom four to stay in PL). They can get rid of that dumb money grab tournament they for some reason have early in the season. (Seriously who has TWO domestic cups?) 

7 hours ago, AF89 said:

Frankly I'd like to see more European leagues experiment with a playoff. Mexico does them and their awsome.

A Premier League playoff featuring the final four teams in the table would be dope as heII (as would one featuring the bottom four to stay in PL). They can get rid of that dumb money grab tournament they for some reason have early in the season. (Seriously who has TWO domestic cups?) 

But honestly even without it mathematically being an impossibility, it is still pretty much a sure thing.

Toronto is the best team in the east by far. As far as leagues go they have clearly won it. If they happen to slip up in a game or two doesnt change the fact that they are, by far, the best side in the east. the mexican league with the playoffs is far from awesome too. Its just we think fondly of them because they were all people of our generation really had in terms of mainstream football growing up. If you didnt have a satellite/international box on your TV as a kid you would never have seen the likes of Zidane or Henry except during the world cup because the internet was too slow to stream the games perfectly the way we can now 

I like the two domestic cups in England. it allows championship and conference league sides to show off their talent for their players to get a chance to potentially move up, and it also allows many to get a piece of the money pie.

The last few months of the premier league was super boring last year. The only drama was whether Arsenal could pull a champions spot out its arse. But at least in PL they have relegation, continental tournaments and 100 year old rivalries that are themselves worthwhile getting hype for  (like in college football). We don't really have that in MLS. Sides the hype atmosphere of everything to play for and everything to lose is hard to beat. It's frankly the only time in years past I found MLS watchable.

I'd rather see them keep playoffs and loosen up the salary cap. Normally I'm a big fan of salary caps it's format is far superior to what we get in Europe where the same handful of teams will always dominate if it lasts a 100 years but if we ever want to build our global prestige and take things like CONCACAF champions league seriously, we need to be able open our wallets for depth.  I don't buy the arguments that the domestic talent will suffer, a better league promotes more kids playing soccer and we're starting to send our best playmakers to places like Bundesliga anyway.

On 10/8/2017 at 1:22 PM, AF89 said:

The last few months of the premier league was super boring last year. The only drama was whether Arsenal could pull a champions spot out its arse. But at least in PL they have relegation, continental tournaments and 100 year old rivalries that are themselves worthwhile getting hype for  (like in college football). We don't really have that in MLS. Sides the hype atmosphere of everything to play for and everything to lose is hard to beat. It's frankly the only time in years past I found MLS watchable.

I'd rather see them keep playoffs and loosen up the salary cap. Normally I'm a big fan of salary caps it's format is far superior to what we get in Europe where the same handful of teams will always dominate if it lasts a 100 years but if we ever want to build our global prestige and take things like CONCACAF champions league seriously, we need to be able open our wallets for depth.  I don't buy the arguments that the domestic talent will suffer, a better league promotes more kids playing soccer and we're starting to send our best playmakers to places like Bundesliga anyway.

How would you like the salary cap changed?

30 minutes ago, brewman said:

How would you like the salary cap changed?

As it stands we"re probably going to sell Almiron this offseason or next for one of the biggest transfers in MLS history and due to MLS rules, it's still very limited how much of that money we can then turn around and reinvest in more free agents. (Most teams are expected to reinvest or payoff debts into the infastructure of the club, like training facilities tho thats not really an issue for us cause we got Arthur). In fact per league rules the MLS gets a huge cut of whatever we bring in. They will increase our hard cap but only fractionally. The biggest advantage through a bunch of rules I couldn't accurately begin to explain is we can take that money and reinvest in some of the players like Assad not fully on the roster yet, sign them long term and open up yet another designated player slot that we can use to sign another promising young South American looking for a career path to UEFA.

We could be a deeper team as a result but not as much we could have if we say played under different league rules.

3 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Someone please take 30 second to remind me how mls playoffs work.. I havent bothered to care till alt United became a team 

Top 6 from each of the two conferences make the playoffs. Playoffs occur within each conference with the conference champions playing each other for the MLS championship.

1st (Knockout) Round:  Top two teams in each conference get a bye. 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5 with highest ranking team being home.  This is a single elimination knockout round.

After the 1st Round the format switches to two-match, aggregate-goal series for the Conference Semifinals and Conference Championships

Finally, the championship game is a single winner-takes-all match.

The description on this page is for the 2015 season, but still applies: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/10/20/audi-mls-cup-playoffs-101-everything-you-need-know-about-postseason

SkerFalcon8710 likes this

37 minutes ago, brewman said:

Top 6 from each of the two conferences make the playoffs. Playoffs occur within each conference with the conference champions playing each other for the MLS championship.

1st (Knockout) Round:  Top two teams in each conference get a bye. 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5 with highest ranking team being home.  This is a single elimination knockout round.

After the 1st Round the format switches to two-match, aggregate-goal series for the Conference Semifinals and Conference Championships

Finally, the championship game is a single winner-takes-all match.

The description on this page is for the 2015 season, but still applies: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/10/20/audi-mls-cup-playoffs-101-everything-you-need-know-about-postseason

Thank you sir, I knew aggregate came into play somewhere but was unsure how it all worked out after that. 

1 hour ago, AF89 said:

As it stands we"re probably going to sell Almiron this offseason or next for one of the biggest transfers in MLS history and due to MLS rules, it's still very limited how much of that money we can then turn around and reinvest in more free agents. (Most teams are expected to reinvest or payoff debts into the infastructure of the club, like training facilities tho thats not really an issue for us cause we got Arthur). In fact per league rules the MLS gets a huge cut of whatever we bring in. They will increase our hard cap but only fractionally. The biggest advantage through a bunch of rules I couldn't accurately begin to explain is we can take that money and reinvest in some of the players like Assad not fully on the roster yet, sign them long term and open up yet another designated player slot that we can use to sign another promising young South American looking for a career path to UEFA.

We could be a deeper team as a result but not as much we could have if we say played under different league rules.

16 hours ago, AF89 said:

The sale of Almiron to another club is far from a foregone conclusion.  Interest from another club isn't any sort of guarantee.

AJC article on possibility of a transfer

13 hours ago, brewman said:

The sale of Almiron to another club is far from a foregone conclusion.  Interest from another club isn't any sort of guarantee.

AJC article on possibility of a transfer

No way he last more than two seasons. He's got too much talent and it's what HE wants to do. If Paraguay makes the WC his stock (and value) could sky rocket.

18 hours ago, AF89 said:

No way he last more than two seasons. He's got too much talent and it's what HE wants to do. If Paraguay makes the WC his stock (and value) could sky rocket.

Oh, I'm under no illusion that we keep Miggy for very long, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's purchased by another squad before the next MLS season.  My only point was rumors of interest are just that - rumors - and often amount to nothing.

Edited by brewman

Just now, brewman said:

Oh, I'm under no illusion that we keep Miggy for very long.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's purchased by another squad before the next MLS season; my only point was rumors of interest are just that - rumors - and often amount to nothing.

Yeah thats the nature of the soccer world theres a ton on misinformation buuuut with Miggy you can be pretty d@mn sure it's more than smoke and mirrors too. He's far too talented on the ball a get to languish in MLS for too long. I think we have a decent chance to hold onto him for 2018 but after that I wouldn't count on it