Panthers officials think Newton's body is breaking down

although i dont wish this upon him, im not very surprised by this.. anyone who has watched him play can see he is noticeably slower, his arm is weaker due to surgery and his accuracy has fallen off a cliff. all he is trying to do is rifle every ball into his first read. Panthers message boards are in full melt down mode right now.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Vick will be the last player who sustained that type of game without his body giving up before he did. And he was the smallest of them.

4 minutes ago, Miller2Rison said:

I think it does take a bigger toll on bigger framed guys 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking

No I think he's banged up but they rushed him back from his shoulder surgery. They're still chasing lightning in a bottle from that 2015 season. They should have let him fully recover. He's not a pocket passer but they are adamant on changing his game. All offseason they kept talking about changing his game, ignoring that Cam has played this way since we were 15. 13 years of playing one way and you think one offseason changes a player? Yea right...

Cam is not built for the offense they are trying to run and his natural reaction to compensate is to run/buy time. It's the same thing Rodgers and Wilson do, but he's hurt and can't be Cam because of it. As a result, "Cam looks off". Duh! You're asking Cam to not be Cam while being less than 100% recovered. It's unfair to him and is going to rob them of this season. 

2 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Speak for yourself. I dont like seeing Cam get hit. He's a GA native and a great talent. It's sad how he's received little to no support from that franchise and now his body is feeling the weight of carrying that pitiful offense since he was drafted. 

His situation is a direct result of poor decision making by the Head Coach and GM. It really give me a greater appreciation for Dimitroff and our management.

Cam just not a very good pocket passer and if he can't run he's not very good. He's taken a beating throwing that big body around and it's catching up with him. Not a Cam fan but wish no one to be seriously injured. 

4 minutes ago, vel said:

No I think he's banged up but they rushed him back from his shoulder surgery. They're still chasing lightning in a bottle from that 2015 season. They should have let him fully recover. He's not a pocket passer but they are adamant on changing his game. All offseason they kept talking about changing his game, ignoring that Cam has played this way since we were 15. 13 years of playing one way and you think one offseason changes a player? Yea right...

Cam is not built for the offense they are trying to run and his natural reaction to compensate is to run/buy time. It's the same thing Rodgers and Wilson do, but he's hurt and can't be Cam because of it. As a result, "Cam looks off". Duh! You're asking Cam to not be Cam while being less than 100% recovered. It's unfair to him and is going to rob them of this season. 

Think Cam should have started on the PUP, but Rivera needs to win too badly this season to play Anderson.

That Oline is horrendous. M Kalil is looking like a huge mistake. Not really expecting Cam to be playing when the Falcons play them- not hoping for that mind you, just think he's going to get too beat up  and go on IR.

Think that, with a decent Oline, Cam could transition to more of a pocket QB who runs occasionally, don't think that's happening this season. 

1 hour ago, hjerry said:

I've said on numerous occasions that it was really only a matter of time with his playing style. His frame helped to delay the effects moreso than on any usual QB running that much and taking so many hits, but it wasn't going to last forever.

I, and many others, have been saying for some time that they really needed to reduce his runs and focus on pocket passing or his body may not hold out.

Agree 100%. I’ve been saying it as well. I’ve never been a Cam fan because I’ve always felt his style of play is not sustainable in the NFL long term. He may change on his style, but that’s also not who he is or what makes him good. Once he changes it up, he will be a worse NFL player that takes less hits. It’s a lose lose situation for Carolina. 

Also, Panthers fans are and have always been in serious denial about. They remind me of us during Vick’s glamour days here 

Edited by JD dirtybird21

20 minutes ago, vel said:

The difference between Cam, Russell and Rodgers is that Cam actually takes hits trying to fight for extra yards. He doesn’t make smart decisions. Wilson and Rodgers throw the ball away and run out of bounds

8 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Think Cam should have started on the PUP, but Rivera needs to win too badly this season to play Anderson.

That Oline is horrendous. M Kalil is looking like a huge mistake. Not really expecting Cam to be playing when the Falcons play them- not hoping for that mind you, just think he's going to get too beat up  and go on IR.

Think that, with a decent Oline, Cam could transition to more of a pocket QB who runs occasionally, don't think that's happening this season. 

Exactly. For some reason they are in win now mode. Cam should have been on the PUP list to start the season. But that's the pressure we put on them. They know they can't start in a hole or it's a wasted season. 

Signing Kalil was my favorite move of the offseason as a rival fan because I knew it'd back fire AND put them in a cap bind. Yo @SamMills51 how you liking Kalil so far my friend?

I don't think Cam gets banged up enough to land on IR. I think he toughs it out but agree he will be feeling like shlt by the time they play us. Cam just isn't a pocket passer. It's never been his game. The man throws fast balls in warm up drills. He's a big play QB. The idea of Samuel and McCaffrey was great, but it doesn't align with how Cam's played football since I've known him. I don't see that changing at this point. They should have just loaded up on more super sized WRs with large catch radius, now smaller underneath guys.

6 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The difference between Cam, Russell and Rodgers is that Cam actually takes hits trying to fight for extra yards. He doesn’t make smart decisions. Wilson and Rodgers throw the ball away and run out of bounds

I was just mentioning them in terms of running to compensate for poor offenses. Wilson spends his afternoons running because his OL is terrible. Rodgers spends time running because his scheme is terrible and he needs to buy his WRs time to get open. Cam is in the same boat. 

Just now, vel said:

I was just mentioning them in terms of running to compensate for poor offenses. Wilson spends his afternoons running because his OL is terrible. Rodgers spends time running because his scheme is terrible and he needs to buy his WRs time to get open. Cam is in the same boat. 

I’ll tell the brains of Wilson and Rodgers any day though 

1 hour ago, abcranford2 said:

Unfortunately his running is what made him scary and effective.  He is essentially a fullback with a good arm.  Not many qbs can truck a linebacker to pick up an extra couple of yards.

Definitely not many, and for those rare QB's who are able to pull it off, there is a heavy price to pay. I wish him well, but it may soon be time to head for the broadcast booth.

1 hour ago, roguebeaver said:

Sorry no sympathy for the dabber! Every person has some ailments and issues in their lives, it’s a fact...his arrogance and ugliness contributes to my feelings for him...tho my feeling and thoughts matters not! When we play those clowns I want no mercy showed to him if he suits up and puts foot on the field.

Cam is a big boy and knows and knew the risks associated with this endeavor. He’s set financially and perhaps it times to take off the cleats and put on ballet slippers!

Go Birds!

Way too keep it classy smh , its more than just football man. This is the rest of his life. Forget all these fan rivalries for a second. Each and every player that goes out on the field , should be respected. I didnt say like . I just felt like this is a little kid statement sounds like. 

37 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

This is a speculation article.

I agree. This article reads like it's just a small circle of Panther personnel stating their opinions. Cam may be experiencing pain, but not necessarily because of his body breaking down. This article needs more facts.

15 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

Yeah.....who knows who these "officials" are. Hopefully it's all a bunch of bull but if he isn't 100% let the dude sit and get to 100%. 

The entire article stinks of clickbait. Everyone knows Cam is still recovering so he's not playing 100%. Cam is getting the "superbowl hangover" type treatment since that story seems to have fell through for the media.

“To be fair, these officials haven’t talked to Newton’s doctors, so much of this is speculation.”

4 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

The entire article stinks of clickbait. Everyone knows Cam is still recovering so he's not playing 100%. Cam is getting the "superbowl hangover" type treatment since that story seems to have fell through for the media.

“To be fair, these officials haven’t talked to Newton’s doctors, so much of this is speculation.”

Bingo! end of discussion.

3 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-panthers-officials-think-newton’s-body-is-breaking-down/ar-AAsxlzE?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

yes I know Tatf, but it's a division rivals QB that we all like seeing getting hit. Idw him to have permanent damage for the record

Like him or hate him Scam has taken his fair share of shots, been rumors he is trying to move away from as many running plays. But thats what makes him effective,and he still doesn't have that throwing from the pocket consistency you would like in an NFL QB. Been watching their games and he's missed wide open guys  to the tune of 1 to 2 a game. 

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

Same thing happened to RG3. At the point that they realized nobody can sustain the abuse that dual-threat NFL players endure, it was too late. Their legs were their specific advantage and if that's gone, then they are through. And neither player has the timing or arm skill necessary to win from the pocket. Vick will be the last player who sustained that type of game without his body giving up before he did. And he was the smallest of them.

Well Vick realized (albeit a little too late) that if he was going to last he would need to be better at passing from the pocket. 

3 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Speak for yourself. I dont like seeing Cam get hit. He's a GA native and a great talent. It's sad how he's received little to no support from that franchise and now his body is feeling the weight of carrying that pitiful offense since he was drafted. 

His situation is a direct result of poor decision making by the Head Coach and GM. It really give me a greater appreciation for Dimitroff and our management.

3 hours ago, Jesus said:

He's taking a beating because that's how he plays the game. He is carrying a lot of Cam on that frame. It's bound to happen to anyone with how he plays. 

3 hours ago, FalconAge said:

I remember many folks (NFC South messageboards and beyond) saying that Cam would be out of football by 30, and some even said he'd barely be able to walk by 50.

They seemed to almost take comfort in that idea, and it always rubbed me the wrong way.

With the way they have set up that team, and his gameday mentality, that hateful prophecy is being fufilled.

I agreed with that premise, but never took pleasure in it. But in reference to the 3 quotes here, I was going to mention that there have been a lot of people say through the years the beatings he's taken with their lack of keeping any resemblance to a professional OLine in front of him, his body wouldn't hold up

he's the enemy in between the white lines, but Cam does a lot of good stuff off the field esp for kids.

I enjoy making fun of his wardrobe, but hey, it's his money, he can spend it however he likes.