De'Vondre Campbell Has Soundly Outplayed Deion Jones Through 3 Games

Arkridge

Early, but just wanted to point out how excited about De'Vondre we all should be. Through 3 games I'd go as far as to say he hasn't only been the best Linebacker on the field, but the best player on our defense in general. He's a steel trap in coverage and is constantly generating pressure rushing the passer. He's turning into a do-it-all kind of guy. End of last year, we were all excited about Deion Jones future with the team but De'Vondre Campbell is soundly outplaying him right now.

And that's a good problem to have. By no means is Deion playing badly, but anyone who's watched our first 3 games can't deny De'Vondre is the best Linebacker on the field right now. I'm sure it has a lot to do with his work with Chuck Smith, his Lasik Surgery and the fact that he just isn't a rookie anymore and is "figuring it all out". We should all be very excited at the prospect of De'Vondre becoming the legit superstar of this defense. By the end of the season, everyone is going to know this dude's name. Bank on it.

As excited as I am about Cambell, I have to respectfully disagree with the topic of your post.  I do not believe that Campbell has SOUNDLY outplayed Jones.  He has put up more statistics for sure but stats rarely tell the whole story.  Jones has been asked to spy and be more of a cover linebacker in the early going allowing Campbell to cleanup.

Remember the mantra of this defense:  I do my job so my brother can do his!

I think both backers have played exceedingly well and while the tackle numbers have not yet been there for Jones, I think that is a byproduct of assignments and offenses attacking Campbell more out of repect for Deion Jones ability more than anything else.

I think Campbell has been outstanding but part of that is because his brother has been equally as good so I disagree with the topic as stats can be misleading.  In any event, we have a talented linebacker group which will only get better as the season progresses.

Edited by lostnmexico

Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Well at least we are talking about having 2 Falcon LBs that could end up as one of the NFL's best tandems.

That wasn't the case 2 or 3 seasons ago.

This team has come a long way from the dark days of sitting duck LBs.

Member Joplo Bartu as a starter? Oy vey. 

Those days are long gone...probably wouldn't even make the 53 now. If you're out there Bartu...no offense intended.

23 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Member Joplo Bartu as a starter? Oy vey. 

Those days are long gone...probably wouldn't even make the 53 now. If you're out there Bartu...no offense intended.

poor guy even had a message board nickname, "High Top Jop" I always thought you had arrived once the fans give you a nickname.

I had to laugh during Sunday's game when the announcers talked about Campbell covering the Lions TE Ebron. At least three times they mentioned that Campbell is a pass rusher and his strength is not in coverage, when in fact it has been quite the opposite. He came to us as a solid coverage guy who wasn't asked to rush last year because it wasn't a strength. 

I agree 100% on the lasic comment that was made, there were times last year that I screamed at my TV watching him get lost or be too overaggressive in his run fits. In year two the game seems to have slowed down for him, and without glasses he has such better awareness of what is going on around him. Great post OP

Just now, Upstate NY Falcon said:

I had to laugh during Sunday's game when the announcers talked about Campbell covering the Lions TE Ebron. At least three times they mentioned that Campbell is a pass rusher and his strength is not in coverage, when in fact it has been quite the opposite. He came to us as a solid coverage guy who wasn't asked to rush last year because it wasn't a strength. 

I agree 100% on the lasic comment that was made, there were times last year that I screamed at my TV watching him get lost or be too overaggressive in his run fits. In year two the game seems to have slowed down for him, and without glasses he has such better awareness of what is going on around him. Great post OP

It's funny those blow hards don't have a clue most times. They just be making chit up on the fly. No facts or evidence at all. 

1 hour ago, Falcan Moore said:

Definitely wouldn't say he's soundly outplayed Debo, but both are playing very well this season for sure.

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

I don't know about soundly .... We have 2 LBs that does different things but both has potential to be tops at there position.

Yeah both are playing well. "Soundly outplayed Deion Jones" is definitely an exaggeration.

46 minutes ago, Upstate NY Falcon said:

Yup. Ive had lasik and know the world of difference it makes. Campbell admitted that he didn't wear glasses or lenses during the game. I don't know what his eye sight was prior to surgery, but if he was nearsighted, lasik is usually only for moderate to servere nearsightedness. It has to be amazing for him to be able to see 20/20 now and not guess what he thinks he sees.

Edited by runshoot
spelling

1 hour ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Well at least we are talking about having 2 Falcon LBs that could end up as one of the NFL's best tandems.

That wasn't the case 2 or 3 seasons ago.

This team has come a long way from the dark days of sitting duck LBs.

LB duo ✅

CB duo ✅

DT duo ✅

RB duo ✅

I could make a case for S, DE, and OT, and obviously WR is more than a duo... We got depth like never before this year.

Edited by maxatlanta

17 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

LB duo ✅

CB duo ✅

DT duo ✅

RB duo ✅

I could make a case for S, DE, and OT, and obviously WR is more than a duo... We got depth like never before this year.

I'd argue that our starting OT duo is the best of the bunch... since we're calling the WRs more than a duo.