Let's Talk About: A Few Plays From My Linebacker -- Deion Jones

3 games into the season so far and the defense seems to be leaning heavily on Cover-1.  I'm interested to see, as the season unfolds, how the coverages will evolve, but yesterday was more of the same and from watching the Monday night game (Lions/Giants) I knew they were going to try to use their backs isolated on our linebackers.  I have to say, outside of one play down the stretch where it looked like Deion got jelly-legged, he looked good out there... real good.

Play #1 - 2nd Quarter Detroit goes empty, with the back, Theo Riddick, flexed out in the slot.  You can see the route combinations they have, but that's whatever. 

IMG_2265 - Copy

When I first looked at the play, I thought the Falcons were in Cover-1 Rat with Duke playing the Rat, but looking at the play a few more times, it looks like the Falcons are in some sort of split-field hybrid type coverage.  Tru is playing man to the top.  Alf is playing off.  That signals split field.  It could be a sort of Cloud coverage or something like Cover-9.  It's tough to tell without the safety in the picture.  

But the essence of the post remains.  Because of the deployment of the receivers, Deion is isolated in a man-on-man situation.

At the snap, this is what I love.  Deion plays this with the patience of a corner back.  He doesn't panic.  His feet don't start getting all jittery, he barely takes a step back.  He understands perfectly what his leverage is supposed to be, and what he's guarding so he lets the back close the distance so that he can do this...

IMG_2266

...so that he can get his hands on him and disrupt the timing of the route.  Receivers like to do all that shuffling and faking with their shoulders to get you leaning and get an easy go.  They hate it when you get hands on them.  It just messes all their rhythm up.  Also, the way he sinks his hips so that he can move in either direction and gets an eye back on Stafford is really savvy.

IMG_2268

Riddick does a good job of getting his hands over the top of Deion's jam and getting out in that break.  But Deion is just a pure athlete.  Look at the way he plays this.  It's perfect.  You can't expect many linebackers to make this kind of play consistently and he makes it look routine.

giphy.gif

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

Play #2 - okay now this really is Cover-1... cover-1 Robber actually.  No doubt whatsoever.

The tight end motions.  Campbell follow, confirming to Stafford that the Falcons are in man.  Allen is playing the Robber here.  All the corners are pressed right up in the receivers' face on 3rd and 2.  

IMG_2270

The Lions are essentially trying to get the back out on a quick little wheel route.  It's actually a good call vs. man because no way the linebacker can get over the top there to the back before he gets two yards.  This play is supposed to be money.

This is what happens at the snap.  As you can see, all the corners are on their guys tight.  Campbell sees his man, the tight end, stay in to block, so he comes like he's about to green dog... then of course he pauses as he sees his man about to sneak out.

But the star of the play is Deion.  He knows exactly what Detroit is trying to do.  He sees the route instantly.  Let me also say that the formation also tipped the play.  That receiver to the bottom of the screen is in tight.  His split is cut down.  On third and short, these are the types of plays you should be expecting.

IMG_2272

Deion flies over the top of Alford, who is jamming his man and is already lined up perfectly...

IMG_2273

You'll see it in the gif, but the amount of ground he covers is astonishing.  He's arriving right with the ball.  

IMG_2274

I came out of my seat when I saw this.  This is football.  This is defense.  This is the virtue of keeping things simple when you have superior athletes.  They can play with an uncluttered mind.  You can just turn 'em loose and them do stuff like this.

giphy.gif

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

5 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Let me see what I can do.

Tell you what coming from a rugby guy that tackling technique on the hit was text book got his head inside and drove his shoulder into the RBs ribs **** even that opened my eyes a bit wider.

But correct his closing speed is phenomenal.

38 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Can you show the TD play where Jones is on Tate please PMF that's the play where I thought Jones was left posted.

Ok yeah I was posting the other thread.  I was about to ask you to refresh my memory, but yeah I remember.  It was zone.  I think it was Mable, I gonna have to look at it again, but yeah, he it was just a good playcall by Detroit.  

I think that play was why we saw so much man down in the redzone at the end.

I'll see if I can get it up.

@PeytonMannings Forehead , I just want to thank you for taking the time to break these down.

I know you get thanked a lot for it (very deserved imo), and my thanks are no more important than anyone else's here, but dude what you do here is fantastic, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Also, man Deion Jones is awesome, and even with the hype he gets, he's way underrated by analysts in the NFL.

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Play #2 - okay this now this really is Cover-1... cover-1 Robber this time.  No doubt whatsoever.

The tight end motions.  Campbell follow, confirming to Stafford that the Falcons are in man.  Allen is playing the Robber here.  All the corners are pressed right up in the receivers' face on 3rd and 2.  

IMG_2270

The Lions are essentially trying to get the back out on a quick little wheel route.  It's actually a good call vs. man because no way the linebacker can get over the top there to the back before he gets two yards.  This play is supposed to be money.

This is what happens at the snap.  As you can see, all the corners are on their guys tight.  Campbell sees his man, the tight end, stay in to block, so he comes like he's about to green dog... then of course he pauses as he sees his man about to sneak out.

But the star of the play is Deion.  He knows exactly what Detroit is trying to do.  He sees the route instantly.  Let me also say that the formation also tipped the play.  That receiver to the bottom of the screen is in tight.  His split is cut down.  On third and short, these are the types of plays you should be expecting.

IMG_2272

Deion flies over the top of Alford, who is jamming his man and is already lined up perfectly...

IMG_2273

You'll see it in the gif, but the amount of ground he covers is astonishing.  He's arriving right with the ball.  

IMG_2274

I came out of my seat when I saw this.  This is football.  This is defense.  This is the virtue of keeping things simple when you have superior athletes.  They can play with an uncluttered mind.  You can just turn 'em loose and them do stuff like this.

giphy.gif

This was my favorite play of the whole game. A huge stop by Deion and the Falcons

yep, more great posts. I was bragging about these threads yesterday during the game to my son in law. I told him how much they help me understand what's going on out there....

so you said 'not for long' in that other thread, you think one of them is going to be bumped off the front page? surely you're not going to take one down are ya?

3 minutes ago, papachaz said:

yep, more great posts. I was bragging about these threads yesterday during the game to my son in law. I told him how much they help me understand what's going on out there....

so you said 'not for long' in that other thread, you think one of them is going to be bumped off the front page? surely you're not going to take one down are ya?

Nah, I wasn't going to delete anything.  Seem like to board's attention was elsewhere at that particular moment.

7 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

Great post as always!  thx for taking the time to put these out here for us.  

1 hour ago, Rhodaric said:

@PeytonMannings Forehead , I just want to thank you for taking the time to break these down.

I know you get thanked a lot for it (very deserved imo), and my thanks are no more important than anyone else's here, but dude what you do here is fantastic, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Also, man Deion Jones is awesome, and even with the hype he gets, he's way underrated by analysts in the NFL.

Hey, believe me, your thanks is not lost on me.  It is much appreciated... from everyone.  These threads wound up being more popular than I thought possible and I love what it says about the quality of our message board.  

I wish I could properly express my gratitude for the thanks I receive in all of the breakdown threads from everyone who takes the time to read them and drop a line.  I notice everyone of them.

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Play #2 - okay this now this really is Cover-1... cover-1 Robber this time.  No doubt whatsoever.

IMG_2270

IMG_2272

IMG_2273

IMG_2274

giphy.gif

That was a beautifull example of read and react, nice play by Deion

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

IMG_2270

IMG_2272

IMG_2273

IMG_2274

giphy.gif

Wow. That hit tho....