Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NUPE

Duke Riley

60 posts in this topic

I know he’s a rookie but I’m seeing too many missed tackles from him. He’s undersized & never has been a big hitter but in the cover 3 defense that we run, there will be a lot of check downs & flat routes that will force the underneath defenders to come up & make a play. Really hope he improves 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NUPE said:

I know he’s a rookie but I’m seeing too many missed tackles from him. He’s undersized & never has been a big hitter but in the cover 3 defense that we run, there will be a lot of check downs & flat routes that will force the underneath defenders to come up & make a play. Really hope he improves 

A lot of people trashed Campbell last year too.. if he doesn't play how do you expect him to grow and learn? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see any reason for concern.  Most of his misses come from routing the ball carrier into traffic.  Overall, we are an undersized swarming defense (similar to the old 49ers).  We are going to see alot of missed tackles from our guys, the important thing is that we don't lose position and let runners outside of our containment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SirCzah said:

I don't see any reason for concern.  Most of his misses come from routing the ball carrier into traffic.  Overall, we are an undersized swarming defense (similar to the old 49ers).  We are going to see alot of missed tackles from our guys, the important thing is that we don't lose position and let runners outside of our containment.

people complained last season too with the rookies but by the end of the season those guys were blasting fools. I figure Duke will be killing it by week 8 and there'll be no looking back

Rhodaric and rounz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trust the coaching staff man.  I am assuming you watched last year as Jones, Campbell, Neal, Poole, etc grew into players we were proud of.

Sometimes the best way to learn is to do it, even if you mess up you still learn from it.   If Duke is our biggest weakness, we are in fine shape.

Edited by AlabamaFalconFan
rounz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah he whiffed on some tackles but that's to be expected... Deion Jones was doing the same thing early last year here and there as well and look how he turned out. Give it time... Riley will be just fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the important part is that his instincts are really good. He does not seem to be out of position very often at all. He is learning that NFL players don't go down as easy as college players. The tackling techniques the Falcons teach are also a little different.

I can only see the defense getting better and better as the season goes on. Takk was a beast yesterday and the tackling will improve like it did last year

rounz, GhostofGritz and raysnill1 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We better work on tackling all week. Tyrod and LeSean are coming to town. Wrap up and stay in your lanes without over pursuing and we should win this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colin_Pernett said:

I don't think Duke has had one impressive play so far. I'm pretty disappointed, but he definitely has the talent to turn it around quickly.

Amen.  Duke needs to run fast but still keep ballcarriers in his hip pocket.

Colin_Pernett likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

A lot of people trashed Campbell last year too.. if he doesn't play how do you expect him to grow and learn? 

I was one of them. Glad to be proven wrong. Quinn knows exactly what he's doing until proven otherwise.

SkerFalcon8710 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was never a fan of having 2 undersized LB's on the field at once. Im not worried but it is a concern. Reuben Foster would have been perfect along with Jones and Campbell. He has better size and good speed along with being a better tackler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ballfan said:

One of the great things about Quinn is that he lets players learn the hard way. Should pay dividends later in the year. 

yup, I can remember in past years wondering why our rookies weren't getting playing time, why they were on the sidelines so much, let them play and learn, they have plenty of back up out there... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jerz said:

I was never a fan of having 2 undersized LB's on the field at once. Im not worried but it is a concern. Reuben Foster would have been perfect along with Jones and Campbell. He has better size and good speed along with being a better tackler.

Really.... So when Jessie Tuggle was playing you wouldn't have wanted another undersized LB just like him ?

I'm not worried about the perceived lack of size. I only care about their play. Neither Jones nor Riley are finished developing but I have faith in this coaching staff to get the most out of them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, it's not just Duke struggling with missed tackles.  Missed tackles, especially in both Bear and Lion games, coupled with penalties (Bears and Lions) and turnovers (Lions) made these games so much closer than they should have been otherwise.

Though if you have red zone or sunday ticket, it seems this is a league wide problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0