Jump to content

Aints fans seem to have trouble with the 10 second rule


Doctor Kildare
 Share

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, likeriver said:

Everyone hates us right now, actually. Not just the Saints. Honest question, would the Lions have even gotten a play off with 8 seconds on the clock?

Yeah its a weird rule but the chances of them getting another play off are pretty **** slim. I've had that point made to me a few times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

I'm glad that we won but, that run-off is kind of a dumb rule in this instance. If a play is under official review, there should be some exception to that. We played sloppy today, but a win is a win

Not really if he had of been ruled down initially in the field of play the clock would have been running and the lions would gave had to hustle to get lined up and snap the ball. It's doubtful they could have gotten the ball off.

Since the play was called a touchdown the clock stops without the 10 second run off detroit had the chance to get a play in, swap personnel, and snap the ball. A quick throw even if incomplete would have left them with a chance to run 2 plays which gives them a huge advantage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Well, if we get a lead,, Just like in the SB,, And we average about 7 yards a carry,,, You'd think we would have learned that lesson.. How Stupid for NFL HCs (Our HC ) to not be able to see that.... We don't deserve to go undefeated... Like my post,, But to be honest,, I thought we had learned better.. Now I'm not sure they have leanred YET!! :argh: How dumb can you get.. I'm starting to lose my confidence in our Coaches.. If they,, I mean we were only averaging about 8 yards per carry....:yikes:

The coaches weren't the ones committing holding penalties after solid runs putting the offense in a tough position to run from. That was the players.....watch the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

The coaches weren't the ones committing holding penalties after solid runs putting the offense in a tough position to run from. That was the players.....watch the game.

But you sure didn't get my point.. All we had to have done is keep running the ball, Just like the Superbowl lose.. WE would have won if we had just ran the ball.. I can't believe they still can't see how dumb it is to not take advantage of them letting us run all over them..:shrug:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Draftnut57 said:

But you sure didn't get my point.. All we had to have done is keep running the ball, Just like the Superbowl lose.. WE would have won if we had just ran the ball.. I can't believe they still can't see how dumb it is to not take advantage of them letting us run all over them..:shrug:

We did keep running the ball.....and kept committing holding penalties.

We had at least 3 BIG runs called back due to penalties that put us in long situations......

That is the players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, shockerfalcon said:

Not really if he had of been ruled down initially in the field of play the clock would have been running and the lions would gave had to hustle to get lined up and snap the ball. It's doubtful they could have gotten the ball off.

Since the play was called a touchdown the clock stops without the 10 second run off detroit had the chance to get a play in, swap personnel, and snap the ball. A quick throw even if incomplete would have left them with a chance to run 2 plays which gives them a huge advantage.

This is true. Hadn't really thought about it from that angle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember if the ref would have blown the play dead at the 1, the clock would have continued to run and the 8 seconds would have run off. The clock was stopped because they thought it was a TD. When the play was ruled down at the 1, the only fair thing was to run off time (10 seconds). It is so teams don't commit a play that stops the clock when it otherwise would kept running. Clear???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

I'm glad that we won but, that run-off is kind of a dumb rule in this instance. If a play is under official review, there should be some exception to that. We played sloppy today, but a win is a win

The rule was only put in a few years ago and it's the right rule. It keeps a team from benefiting from a bad call. I don't think the Lions would have gotten lined up in time and gotten the ball snapped with only 8 seconds left had the clock never stopped. Remember, it would have been 4th down had it been called no TD the 1st time, so they wouldn't have just been able to spike it. They would have needed to attempt to run another play and there's little way that they would have gotten all that done in under 8 seconds had the clock never originally stopped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, likeriver said:

Everyone hates us right now, actually. Not just the Saints. Honest question, would the Lions have even gotten a play off with 8 seconds on the clock?

Without an offensive penalty? No. The ball would have been placed with 3 seconds left, at best. Chances are Tate would have held the ball too long believing that he scored. Personally, IDT that the ball would have been placed with any time left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sidious said:

If Detroit had a timeout left, they could've used it to avoid the runoff. It was to a degree a play call blunder. Either the play needed to get out of bounds or the pass should've been completed in the end zone

Exacty the point. If you don't throw the ball INTO the end zone this is what can happen. Totally on Stafford. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People can say all they want about the time runoff not being fair. It is fair because if the team has a timeout they don't get the runoff. So Detroit used all three timeouts to save time during the game. All teams know the rules. It would not be fair to the other team. Should the offense get a free timeout to regroup. Detroit could have saved a time out, or ran a play the did not chance being downed outside the end zone. They knew the rules and ran the play they came up short end of story. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, high impact said:

People can say all they want about the time runoff not being fair. It is fair because if the team has a timeout they don't get the runoff. So Detroit used all three timeouts to save time during the game. All teams know the rules. It would not be fair to the other team. Should the offense get a free timeout to regroup. Detroit could have saved a time out, or ran a play the did not chance being downed outside the end zone. They knew the rules and ran the play they came up short end of story. 

^This

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I doubt they would get another play off and here is why:

While usually if someone is say going no huddle and getting to the line as fast as they can, they usually already know then if they made the first down, and if they have they are rushing to make a new one and if they haven't, they are trying to do so fast.

However at the goalline they are unsure. If they run back to the line as fast as possible they are conceding it is NOT a touchdown. If they do think they made the touchdown, then they have no reason to rush back to the line. If they use the time that there was when the play stopped due to reviewing the play, it would have been equal to giving the Lions a free timeout.

So while it may be true that the Lions can run plays fast enough within lets say 8 seconds, it is not when they think they had a touchdown. NO ONE RUSHES TO THE LINE IF THEY BELIEVE THEY SCORED A TOUCHDOWN. The Lions in this case want it both ways. They want to claim they would have the time if they didn't score but act as if they did. Sorry. It doesn't work like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...