Falcons Defense is about to SERIOUSLY tighten up over the next few games

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, The Vent King said:

I believe WHEN we win the SB this year, our defense will be the bigger story than our offense. The offense is gonna still be close to what is has been, but when this defense goes to that next level it will make us the most difficult team in the league to deal with. I can hear it now....

announcers:

"My goodness if you thought the Atlanta Falcon's offense was tough to deal with, how about that defense Bob? It has really become the bigger problem to match up with and that's saying a lot when you have the offense these guys have...I mean what do you do?"

"I don't know Chris, but it's scary. Like your breath, here take this mint."

RIP ^_^

Anyone else concerned with our DT depth (particularly against the run) with Hageman being gone?

We don't seem to be as stout anymore, and it feels like there's a void there that needs to be filled.

I'm assuming DQ plans on using Shelby and Upshaw to lessen the impact of losing 'Shede, but I'm wondering if this will serve us well long term. 

I almost feel we need a fresh (and healthy) D-line rotation heading into the playoffs so we don't have guys getting gassed as quickly late in games, or the latter half of the season, when it counts. 

I know we also have JC, but I only really see them using him primarily on passing downs to get pressure up the middle and get after the QB. 

Edited by Dungeon Family
20 hours ago, gazoo said:

While our defense has made some plays this year, we still have a lot of little tweaks than need to happen before this defense peaks.  We are right there......I can see it, we are just slightly off.

I couldn't be any more excited about how this defense is going to be playing this year and I believe it all starts against the Lions. I think we are going to see our run defense tighten way up, far more 3rd and long situations where we pin our ears back and create some real havoc. We are already 7th in NFL in sacks and projected over 16 games we'd have over 50 this year so this is a huge bright spot.

We are just scratching the surface while sitting at 2-0. Our bigtime playmakers like Deion Jones and Keanu Neal and Robert Alford are just getting started. Trufant is back. Campbell is a breakout player already. I've never seen Brooks Reed play better. Poe and our other DL will sync up over the next few games and once is al, comes together we will be talking about our defense just as much as our offense. Once it does I expect it to produce a lot of turnovers, it has potential to be one of the highest scoring defenses in NFL.

Don't lie to me Great Gazoo.  I have been hurt before.

15 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

To be fair they are put in a position to be scored on when we have a big lead; We don't run a traditional prevent defense, but it's still the concept of preventing a quick strike TD, and trading yards for game clock,  

And and I hate it. It seems the other team always scores and starts coming back some. It really skews our defensive stats too.

38 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Do you think Quinn will/should try to resign Hageman after his 6 game suspension is over?

It's a question I've asked myself. I just don't know the circumstances enough to speculate. To me, it made no sense to cut him when they did. If it was strictly a financial decsion ( signing bonuses, weekly paycheck etc) then yeah, he could be back.

9 hours ago, SirCzah said:

Don't lie to me Great Gazoo.  I have been hurt before.

We should be good, I just checked my crystal ball and it appears to be fulling functioning!  Last time I used it, it was beginning of last preseason when it told me me would have a prolific offense :) in 2016

My biggest concern about the D is Beasley being out.  As soon as he left the game Rodgers starting carving us up.  I hope that Takk steps up but I see the D taking a hit with Vic gone and a close high scoring game tomorrow against the Lions.  Luckily we have the Bills and Dolphins after that so the best help to our D will be their inept offenses. 

6 hours ago, gazoo said:

I don't think so.

I thought the suspension applies to whoever signs him. Just like the NY punter they added to his suspension from one game a few weeks ago. They don't server till they get signed. So whoever signs them knows they won't have them for that many games. At least that's what I thought. I mean how do you server a suspension if you're not part of a team is my thinking.

22 minutes ago, fuego said:

I thought the suspension applies to whoever signs him. Just like the NY punter they added to his suspension from one game a few weeks ago. They don't server till they get signed. So whoever signs them knows they won't have them for that many games. At least that's what I thought. I mean how do you server a suspension if you're not part of a team is my thinking.

NFL suspended free agent DT Ra'Shede Hageman six games for violating the league's domestic violence policy.
It's the standard ban for first time offenders. Cut from Atlanta prior to the season, Hageman could struggle for interest despite his status as a former second round pick. ESPN's Vaughn McClure reports Hageman is eligible to return in Week 9. Sep 22 - 4:50 PM
22 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Considering he hasn't had any problems since that incident, which occurred before the start of last season I would be fine with us bringing him back, Collins didn't learn from his trouble and we still inexplicably have him on the roster. I'd rather have Hage than Collins.

Don't think Collins counts against the roster or the cap while suspended.  Don't have to make decision yet.

We need Ishmael and Shelby to step up.  Poe, Crawford and Garrett handled all but 1 snap. If they get gassed I see them moving Shelby inside for a few plays. Takk will take Vic's place, but I think he'll get spelled by Campbell, and Ish will cover their tight end. We have to tackle-plain and simple. On offense I'd like so see the FB snaps get cut in half and use more two TE sets. Their defensive backfield is very good. I'd like to see Toilolo next to the new guy at tackle more. 

Manu, Julio, Toi, Free, Hoop, Ryan--that's a heckuva lot to keep up with. And we get help on the line and for outside stuff between Toi and Sanu. We need to throw screens and attack there middle with Julio slants. Their MLB, SS are out. I'm interested to watch the Killebrew sleeper kid play Julio and Manu.