g-dawg

Saints GM tanking after 0-2 start?

55 posts in this topic

Not sure who is in charge in the sewer that is called New Orleans but looks like they are purging and cleaning house.

Saints traded another BUST first rounder - Stephane Anthony(LB, Clemson) to Miami for a 5th round pick.  It also appears Kenny Vaccaro is on the trade block and being held out of games.   Don't be surprised if Saints shop Adrian Peterson as well.

Further, with Breejesus at end of his reign and this being considered a very good QB draft, I see the full on TANK as the best strategy right now - the problem if you are a Saints fan is they still have Mickey Loomis as GM and Vicodin man as Head Coach.

4 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

Gotta pick a QB. Brees is going to Houston or somewhere else in the off season. 

Don't see Houston as they drafted Deshaun Watson - Vikings seem a more likely fit.

1 minute ago, droopy1592 said:

Gotta pick a QB. Brees is going to Houston or somewhere else in the off season. 

I dont think he will go to Houston...they are handing the keys to Watson..

The teams to look out for is Cincy and Buffalo...imo...he makes both those teams Superbowl contenders with their defenses..

If you are gonna tank, why not trade FaceStain now for whatever you can get for him?   Only issue would be the phat contract and would receiving team and/or trading team be able to move it.

JDaveG likes this

13 minutes ago, Jesus said:

I doubt Brees is going anywhere, because he is the only reason why anyone goes to their games.

They can't franchise tag him and he's a FA after the season. They can't keep him if he wants to leave.

I seem to recall several here lusting after drafting Anthony, has he really been that bad, or was it just not a scheme fit? or maybe, he's smart enough to realize the best QUICK way to get to play on a good team is actually do whatever he could do to get out of there fast?

Flying Falcon likes this

14 minutes ago, Total Package said:

Brees has a no trade clause in addition to the no franchise clause.

At his age, I doubt he has a whole lot of trade value.  BUT ... he will rally his team for a 7-9 finish so the Saints will not have a Top Five draft pick. 

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Don't see Houston as they drafted Deshaun Watson - Vikings seem a more likely fit.

IDK I think the Vikes are happy w/ Sam Bradford, and he's much younger. Which is weird to type, but true.

JDaveG likes this

5 minutes ago, The Great American said:

At his age, I doubt he has a whole lot of trade value.  BUT ... he will rally his team for a 7-9 finish so the Saints will not have a Top Five draft pick. 

Are you kidding? He's still got 2 -3 years left, a team with a good defense and no QB would love him.

Just now, falconidae said:

Are you kidding? He's still got 2 -3 years left, a team with a good defense and no QB would love him.

Actually, I was being serious.  I've never been an NFL GM before but I'd much rather invest in youth.   

1 minute ago, The Great American said:

Actually, I was being serious.  I've never been an NFL GM before but I'd much rather invest in youth.   

An elite QB is the exception to that. Brees immediately makes some teams super bowl contenders.

Tanking or not, it was the GM that put them in salary cap **** the past 4 years(?) with his bad FA signings and bad drafts. Now they have no choice but to pay Drew Brees just to keep him.

The drawback to that is the majority of the money is going towards one position, and you know they're not going to let Brees walk. lol

Couldn't have happened to a better team.

Swamp b*tches.

RoddyWhite84 likes this

Just now, falconidae said:

An elite QB is the exception to that. Brees immediately makes some teams super bowl contenders.

That's true.  But we're talking about trade value.  I can't think of many aging QBs that demanded a lot of draft picks.  Joe Montana was traded for a 1st and 3rd but he was only 36.   Brees is 38.    

Dolphins acquire LB Stephone Anthony from Saints

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  
By Marc Sessler 

The Miami Dolphins on Tuesday acquired linebacker Stephone Anthony from the New Orleans Saintsin exchange for a 2018 undisclosed draft pick. Both teams confirmed the swap. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source, that it is a 2018 fifth-round pick.

In a juicy twist of fate, Anthony and the Dolphins are slated to battle the Saints in London come Week 4.

A 2015 first-round pick by New Orleans, Anthony has yet to play a down this season after starting 19 games over the past two campaigns, including all 16 tilts as a first-year defender -- good enough to earn him a nod on the Pro Football Writers Association All-Rookie Team in 2015.

The former Clemson star was no longer a fit for the Saints, who overhauled their linebacking unit this offseason. In Miami, though, he'll certainly earn playing time following the indefinite suspension of linebacker Lawrence Timmons.

Anthony gives the Dolphins a speedy linebacker with the physical skills to cover pass-catchers in space. That said, his star faded quickly in New Orleans. A fresh start should help.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000848297/article/dolphins-acquire-lb-stephone-anthony-from-saints