Do we bring in Freeney??

We really lack speed coming from the ends without Vic. The short passes were killing us. We got push but not fast enough and not enough to cut back I side to stop Aaron from stepping into the pocket.

I'm sure Freeney is in shape since both he and the falcons showed interest to each other till right before training camp started. I'm sure Dan told him to be on standby if needed. 

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

I love the idea of the young guys getting opportunities, but we saw the pass rush with Beasley out last night. It didn't look as good. Hopefully someone uses the next game to Rise Up

Idk man by the time Vic went down we already had a big enough lead to run clock so we were allowing Rodgers the underneath in bound stuff. Freeney would be a great mentor for Tak tho

A few things:

1) Next man up, like it or not Takk/Campbell/Reed/Clayborn are our answer at end rusher for the next few weeks until Vic is back. Falcons would need to project clearly to have a replacement need long term and that isn't a problem. Takk replaces Freeney, Poe replaced Babineaux and Crawford replaced Jackson.

2) We don't know the extent of the injury. Quinn denied report of a tear and said it wasn't a report from their guys. Would only say Vic was week to week.

3) Upshaw's loss could mean more in the short term for our INTERIOR DL rotation. He was counted on to do a lot with Hage suddenly being gone.

4) Only the Lions and Pats in the next 5 weeks are much of a pass test. We have depth and a performing interior DL generating pressure all along the LOS. So far this year it hasn't been only the VB show. Takk and Clayborn were smacking Rodgers too last night.

13 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

It won the game, I just don't know. Without Beasley its a huge ??? in the rush for me.

you gotta remember, Upshaw went out too so we had to move some to positions they may not play that much. with Vic and Upshaw out we have to work guys into new assignments. from watching his workouts with Chuck Smith, Campbell can be effective as a pass rusher with just a slight drop off in speed from Vic. he may not be a 15 sack guy but he can get the QB off his spot. and Brooks reed was in the backfield a lot, missed a sure sack, but Rodgers is great at shaking sure sacks

5 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I get that there's a feeling that he's not needed, but would anyone be mad if Freeney was signed?

Would depend on what move we made to get him here for me. At this point I don't see Vic going to IR, so that's not going to open the spot. And if that's the move, what happens when Vic comes back

34 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

you gotta remember, Upshaw went out too so we had to move some to positions they may not play that much. with Vic and Upshaw out we have to work guys into new assignments. from watching his workouts with Chuck Smith, Campbell can be effective as a pass rusher with just a slight drop off in speed from Vic. he may not be a 15 sack guy but he can get the QB off his spot. and Brooks reed was in the backfield a lot, missed a sure sack, but Rodgers is great at shaking sure sacks

I don't see bringing in anyone TBH. There is no one. Freeney or Mathis to mentor only.

28 minutes ago, Miller2Rison said:

Def a ? But this does give Takk his chance to shine

This gives him the chance to learn. Thinking he will shine in his rookie year is unrealistic. Not impossible, but just not a realistic thing to contemplate.

41 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I don't see bringing in anyone TBH. There is no one. Freeney or Mathis to mentor only.

This gives him the chance to learn. Thinking he will shine in his rookie year is unrealistic. Not impossible, but just not a realistic thing to contemplate.

Agreed. However, he has already affected the QB more than Vic did at this point in his rookie season. 

8 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

Agreed. However, he has already affected the QB more than Vic did at this point in his rookie season. 

Way better supporting cast

I mean like, not even close to comparable; night and day

Do agree he's looked good, but just can't compare with the level of help he gets over Vic's rookie season.

18 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Do agree he's looked good, but just can't compare with the level of help he gets over Vic's rookie season.

This is that moment when you think this steak is better than the last...only you don't realize its not the steak, rather the choice in sides.

26 minutes ago, hjerry said:

That's right. Beasly's rookie the the entire pass rush was on him. Takk has come into a much better situation than Vic did.

Just now, FentayeJones said:

That's right. Beasly's rookie the the entire pass rush was on him. Takk has come into a much better situation than Vic did.

Exactly. I also don't look forward to pitchforks and torches and the kid doesn't produce at a high level. People sometimes forget a rookie is a rookie regardless of the surroundings.

2 hours ago, hjerry said:

It's 6 weeks.

For that reason, I highly doubt that we do this. Unless we are pretty **** positive he's out at least that much, it'd be a bad move, when you want your top guy back the first game that he's able.

You are right.  We need Beasley back as soon as he is eligible so it looks like we will have to send Hill to the practice squad.

Edited by lostnmexico

Falcons talk to Dwight Freeney, but no plans to bring him back right now

Posted by Josh Alper on September 19, 2017, 7:45 AM EDT
633940356-e1505821538432.jpg?w=560&h=316
Getty Images

A report on Monday indicated Falcons pass rusher Vic Beasley will miss about a month after hurting his hamstring in Sunday night’s win over the Packers, but coach Dan Quinn didn’t go that far while discussing Beasley’s condition.

Quinn confirmed that Beasley won’t play against the Lions this week and that was enough to lead to questions about whether the Falcons would look for outside help. Among those questions was whether the team is still in touch with Dwight Freeney, who had three sacks during the 2016 regular season and has not signed with anyone for this season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/19/falcons-talk-to-dwight-freeney-but-no-plans-to-bring-him-back-right-now/

“Yes,” Quinn said, via the team’s website. “[He’s] definitely somebody that we still talk to on a regular basis. We’re hopeful that he’s going to play this year, he certainly wants to. Right now, there are no changes on our end as we head into today.”

Freeney’s experience in the defense would make him an obvious choice if the Falcons decide they need more pressure off the edge than the players on hand can provide. For now, though, they’re sticking with what’s on hand.

Not sure about Freeney due to the time it will take to be game ready.  We definitely need to bring in a DE or DT to keep our rotation going since that is what our defense is predicated on.  Doesn't need to be a splash player, perhaps someone strong against the run since that will be every teams focus against us this season.