Doctor Kildare

Sunday Night Football TV ratings down 8% from week 2 last year

107 posts in this topic

I put a lot of that on the typical laziness and lack of imagination of the mainstream media who are slow to recognize that the Falcons may be slow to recognize the Falcons could be the sport's next big deal,. Maybe the Falcons will become a bigger ratings draw when people like Michaels, Collingsworth and the ESPN propaganda machine start building the team up instead of downplaying their progress.

Ratings were down 22% from the boring SNF opener between the Cowboys and Giants which obviously got a big draw from the large east coast market, casual fans and the still existant bandwagon of Cowboy fans.

Ratings last night peaked from 9:30-10pm then declined at about the time it became apparent that Superman was having a Kryptonite overdose.

Markets with the highest ratings for last night's game

peaked from 9:30-10 PM ET with a 14.5/25:

1. Milwaukee – 41.6/59
  2. Atlanta – 25.0/42
  3. Minneapolis – 18.4/31
  4. Norfolk – 17.3/27
  5. New Orleans – 16.9/24
  6. Kansas City – 16.5/27
  7. Richmond – 16.4/26
  8. Las Vegas – 15.7/26
  9. Seattle – 15.4/25
  10. Memphis – 14.8/21

http://deadline.com/2017/09/emmy-ratings-2017-down-low-sean-spicer-stephen-colbert-donald-trump-handmaids-tale-sunday-night-football-falcons-packers-cbs-1202172324/

Edited by Doctor Kildare
Typo
mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

I think the stoppages in play are what is killing ratings. Even hardcore fans and fantasy players like myself will find something better to do if it's not a must-see matchup.

Not that last night's matchup wasn't must see, it was, especially for the casual fans who want more offense and scoring, but the pace of the game is taking it's toll IMO.

Edit: you could probably also blame the league for their disproportinate stances, bad calls, ignoring serious offenses for some time while punishing others, like their two-faced stance on domestic violence over the last few years. Id bet that turned off way more female fans than their pink campaign to exploit breast cancer gained them.

Fantasy football has helped make the NFL even bigger, but as the luster of that wears off, they're doing a lot of wrong things to fall back to earth.

Edited by B3TD
PokerSteve likes this

3 minutes ago, Falcons&Dawgs#1Fan said:

Its players not standing for the National Anthem, it pisses a lot of people off, especially Vets... 

That too. It really wouldn't be that big of a deal if the media didn't love a good conversy. Why even give them the platform otherwise? 

Falcons&Dawgs#1Fan likes this

1 minute ago, Duff_Man said:

Jesus...people need to stop with this.

Everywhere I go I hear guys talking about why they're no longer watching NFL games, it is what it is, I guarantee if ownership stops it rating will go back up...

sdogg likes this

21 minutes ago, Nereek said:

What's killing the ratings are fans protesting.

16 minutes ago, B3TD said:

That too. It really wouldn't be that big of a deal if the media didn't love a good conversy. Why even give them the platform otherwise? 

This is false. 

The ******* emmys was on last night. It’s too man commercial breaks. 

If anything the people that are not watching the nfl any more are people who said they were boycotting the nfl because of the treatment of kap period. Not some fake patriotic loser who don’t care about vets period. If they did they would’ve been said **** the nfl long ago for making the military pay for advertisement. Propaganda bs period.

4 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Jesus...people need to stop with this.

Why do people need to stop with this exactly?  JD Powers did a survey and found this was the number one reason why people were turning off the NFL.  Extended commercial breaks were number two.  A majority of folks have relationships with, (directly or indirectly) with people that have sacrificed a great deal for the flag and what it stands for and it pisses people off.  Why the heck do you think Kaepernick is still un-employed?

sdogg, gazoo, vanhino and 4 others like this

Just now, dozer said:

Who watches the Emmy's? These awards shows are all a bunch of rich celebrities celebrating their fame by handing out awards to each other for being famous. It's a joke.

A lot of people, same people who don’t want to see 22 rich guys be in a race to get cte 

ki46dinah likes this

2 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

This is false. 

If anything the people that are not watching the nfl any more are people who said they were boycotting the nfl because of the treatment of kap period. Not some fake patriotic loser who don’t care about vets period. If they did they would’ve been said **** the nfl long ago for making the military pay for advertisement. Propaganda bs period.

It was also the lowest rated emmys of all time. 

dozer, sdogg and vanhino like this

Just now, AAllInFlynn said:

Why do people need to stop with this exactly?  JD Powers did a survey and found this was the number one reason why people were turning off the NFL.  Extended commercial breaks were number two.  A majority of folks have relationships with, (directly or indirectly) with people that have sacrificed a great deal for the flag and what it stands for and it pisses people off.  Why the heck do you think Kaepernick is still un-employed?

Same people who wouldn’t get they ***** up and go fight. Same people who getting loaded off booze during the national anthem or at the concession stand doing whatever. 

How come the nba isn’t suffering ? They actually sent out letters encouraging players to use their platform for the same social issues the Kap was protesting for.

4 minutes ago, dozer said:

Who watches the Emmy's? These awards shows are all a bunch of rich celebrities celebrating their fame by handing out awards to each other for being famous. It's a joke.

Yeah, let the not famous people get awards for making good television!

3 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

A lot of people, same people who don’t want to see 22 rich guys be in a race to get cte 

So you basically just said people who watch the Emmys don't want to watch the NFL. I agree. So how's that the excuse then?

I think a lot of the decline in ratings has to do with the NFL hitching themselves to these major networks.  

I illegally streamed the game last night because for some reason my digital antenna didn't pick up NBC and because there is no way I would sign up for a cable contract in this day and age. 

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

So you basically just said people who watch the Emmys don't want to watch the NFL. I agree. So how's that the excuse then?

Or they would rather watch the emmys than see falcons/packers football 

You’ve been this dense since 1969 ? 

12 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

This is false. 

6 minutes ago, Colin_Pernett said:

Yeah, let the not famous people get awards for making good television!

Good televison, :lol: that's rich

Also let’s be real here...streams def has played a part in the decline. I cancelled my cable because it’s useless when I can just go to reddit streams for free.

Lucas likes this