Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy Ocean

***Official*** Apple Event Thread

96 posts in this topic

So, basically the same stuff my S8 has, only it doesn't work as well...

Apple products are overrated. They get you hooked on the environment, then it's tough to leave...

falconsd56 likes this

21 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

So, basically the same stuff my S8 has, only it doesn't work as well...

Apple products are overrated. They get you hooked on the environment, then it's tough to leave...

Haters gonna hate

5 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Haters gonna hate

I'm not a hater, I just don't want to spend $2k on a laptop that I can get with Windows for $600. I don't want to spend $350 on a tablet when I can pick one up for $150.

From a business standpoint, Apple isn't even close to competitive. Most business software doesn't work on iOS without running parallels or something similar. iOS has tons of issues with email, wifi, VPN, etc.

For example, if you need to connect to a VPN for work, you have to use the native functionality within iOS. Problem is, it doesn't work very well and it's overly complicated. With Windows, you download the client, add the file, and poof. You're connected.

With iOS, you have to manually input the settings. But that's just the start. If you're remoting into a PC on the work network, using the hostname probably isn't going to work. You'll have to grab the IP before you leave work. If you're just trying to access network resources, good luck manually mapping the drive, and even better luck getting it to stick. Most likely, you'll have to map it every time you connect.

Just isn't worth the money...

Edited by Optimus_Cr1m35

7 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

I'm not a hater, I just don't want to spend $2k on a laptop that I can get with Windows for $600. I don't want to spend $350 on a tablet when I can pick one up for $150.

From a business standpoint, Apple isn't even close to competitive. Most business software doesn't work on iOS without running parallels or something similar. iOS has tons of issues with email, wifi, VPN, etc.

For example, if you need to connect to a VPN for work, you have to use the native functionality within iOS. Problem is, it doesn't work very well and it's overly complicated. With Windows, you download the client, add the file, and poof. You're connected.

With iOS, you have to manually input the settings. But that's just the start. If you're remoting into a PC on the work network, using the hostname probably isn't going to work. You'll have to grab the IP before you leave work. If you're just trying to access network resources, good luck manually mapping the drive, and even better luck getting it to stick. Most likely, you'll have to map it every time you connect.

Just isn't worth the money...

Idea of using windows:

anigif_original-grid-image-29778-1389388

I'd rather pay 2k than use Windows or any non Unix based/like OS. 

Also funny how you are comparing what a mobile OS on your phone can do with a full fledged desktop. I know windows 8 and 10 were bad, but they are still not mobile OSes. 

I'm pretty well done with Apple. I'm tired of buying a $700 phone only to have them render it obsolete within years, then offering me a more expensive phone with features I don't care about in some big breathtaking event of ridiculous hype. Over and over again. A $700 supercomputer phone should not be disposable.

Is there consensus on what's the best non-Apple phone? I'd love a replaceable battery and upgradable storage.

3 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

I'm pretty well done with Apple. I'm tired of buying a $700 phone only to have them render it obsolete within years, then offering me a more expensive phone with features I don't care about in some big breathtaking event of ridiculous hype. Over and over again. A $700 supercomputer phone should not be disposable.

Is there consensus on what's the best non-Apple phone? I'd love a replaceable battery and upgradable storage.

Apple phones receive updates much longer than your average Android phone. iPhone 5s is getting iOS 11 and it was released 4 years ago. So I am not sure where this meme started up. 

As for Android Phones, S8 seems to be the consensus top phone, but it does not have a removable battery. However, Google Pixel 2 should be coming out soon. It will likely not have a removable battery either, but then again most phones these days do not have removable batteries. 

4 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Idea of using windows:

anigif_original-grid-image-29778-1389388

I'd rather pay 2k than use Windows or any non Unix based/like OS. 

Also funny how you are comparing what a mobile OS on your phone can do with a full fledged desktop. I know windows 8 and 10 were bad, but they are still not mobile OSes. 

I wasn't. I'm comparing phones to phones, desktops to desktops, laptops to laptops. In the business world, Apple isn't even close. And there's 2 reasons for that. Cost and Compatibility. Period. So, maybe I should have distinguished between iOS and OS X.

Phone wise, they aren't close either. iPhones are easy to use, but they lack functionality. I can connect to my VPN and remote into my desktop with my phone. I can dock it, and use it like a PC. I've been unlocking it with my face for months...

1 minute ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Apple phones receive updates much longer than your average Android phone. iPhone 5s is getting iOS 11 and it was released 4 years ago. So I am not sure where this meme started up. 

As for Android Phones, S8 seems to be the consensus top phone, but it does not have a removable battery. However, Google Pixel 2 should be coming out soon. It will likely not have a removable battery either, but then again most phones these days do not have removable batteries. 

It has wireless charging, water resistant up to 5 meters for 30 minutes... and expandable memory.

Almost no phones use removable at this point.

Edited by Optimus_Cr1m35

1 minute ago, Billy Ocean said:

I just do normal people stuff with my devices and I'm happy with my Apple products. :shrug:

That's exactly what they're for. Just doing the basic stuff.

They suck at the stuff I need them to do, which is why I stick with Android/Windows/Linux...

11 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

As for Android Phones, S8 seems to be the consensus top phone

Was the predecessor the one that kept catching on fire? 

Just now, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

I wasn't. I'm comparing phones to phones, desktops to desktops, laptops to laptops. In the business world, Apple isn't even close. And there's 2 reasons for that. Cost and Compatibility. Period. So, maybe I should have distinguished between iOS and OS X.

Phone wise, they aren't close either. iPhones are easy to use, but they lack functionality. I can connect to my VPN and remote into my desktop with my phone. I can dock it, and use it like a PC. I've been unlocking it with my face for months...

Windows is a Mobile OS now? Off the top of your head, what is the latest Windows Phone. 

20 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

With iOS, you have to manually input the settings. But that's just the start. If you're remoting into a PC on the work network,

87f52da3ffb0a6d415a4f0e5df166f63.620x372

Businesses are cheap. That is why Windows is the leader. In the software world, macOS is a leader. There is a reason why Google banned Windows Laptops and why Microsoft allows their employees to use Macs. Plus if I really want to remote into a computer, I will use SSH like a real techie. 

The reason apple doesn't have a dock is because no one uses it. It wouldn't be difficult to add docking functionality to the iPhone. Much of the architecture is the same on iOS and MacOS.  And plenty of rumors of Apple working on an Arm based macbook. Apple is not about gimmicks like Samsung. Remember when Windows Phone docking and becoming a PC was suppose to be the game changer. What is their market share now? Gimmicks never have staying power. 

mfaulk57158 likes this

1 minute ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Windows is a Mobile OS now? Off the top of your head, what is the latest Windows Phone. - My last one was the Nokia, and it was actually really legit...

87f52da3ffb0a6d415a4f0e5df166f63.620x372

Businesses are cheap. That is why Windows is the leader. In the software world, macOS is a leader. There is a reason why Google banned Windows Laptops and why Microsoft allows their employees to use Macs. Plus if I really want to remote into a computer, I will use SSH like a real techie. 

The reason apple doesn't have a dock is because no one uses it. It wouldn't be difficult to add docking functionality to the iPhone. Much of the architecture is the same on iOS and MacOS.  And plenty of rumors of Apple working on an Arm based macbook. Apple is not about gimmicks like Samsung. Remember when Windows Phone docking and becoming a PC was suppose to be the game changer. What is their market share now? Gimmicks never have staying power. 

I work in Software. I'm literally in the software world. Very few use Apple, since most software isn't even compatible with Apple. Literally 3% market share. Windows has 88%. Linux is 3.37%, Other is 3%. Since 88% control what the market builds for, everyone uses Windows.

And good luck walking an end user through SSH. Let me know how that works out. Plus, you're counting on Port 22 being open, which almost no businesses allow.

As far as docking, I don't use it, but its there. I can just remote in to my PC from my phone. Good luck getting your iPhone to do it. You'll get the little app from the App Store for remote, but you better have the IP and every piece of the VPN configuration, otherwise you're d1cked.

12 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

Was the predecessor the one that kept catching on fire? 

The Note 7 did. I'm not a Note guy.

And the source was a manufacturing flaw with the battery...

21 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

The Note 7 did. I'm not a Note guy.

And the source was a manufacturing flaw with the battery...

I googled it and the Note 7 and the S7 were both catching on fire. I don't wanna put anything in my pants that might catch on fire.

An unnamed source, who works for a “big U.S. wireless carrier,” contacted PhoneArena after a customer brought in a Galaxy S7 Edge which had “exploded.” The owner claimed the phone was left charging overnight using the OEM charger. The tip included two photos of the melted phone. Adding insult to injury, the owner of the charred S7 Edge only had it for two weeks after he traded in his Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3134530/android/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-phones-are-catching-fire-too-2-fires-in-the-last-week.html

7 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

I googled it and the Note 7 and the S7 were both catching on fire. I don't wanna put anything in my pants that might catch on fire.

An unnamed source, who works for a “big U.S. wireless carrier,” contacted PhoneArena after a customer brought in a Galaxy S7 Edge which had “exploded.” The owner claimed the phone was left charging overnight using the OEM charger. The tip included two photos of the melted phone. Adding insult to injury, the owner of the charred S7 Edge only had it for two weeks after he traded in his Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3134530/android/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-phones-are-catching-fire-too-2-fires-in-the-last-week.html

They used the same battery, so it makes sense. I skip every other version, so I went from the S6 to the S8.