Points Per Drive

Sean0708

Saw this on twitter from Scott Kacsmar.

Falcons points per drive 2016: 3.03

Falcons points per drive 2017: 2.88

For reference, 2.88 points per drive would have been good for 1st overall last year by a wide margin. New Orleans was 2nd last year with 2.65.

Points per drive stats from: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff2016

I was just as bummed out as most people that we didn't get to put up 30+ like we know we can, but really the low output was just as much about getting dragged in to a slow paced game on a ****** field. We only ran 55 offensive plays (3 and outs don't help but still).

So all in all, no reason to panic. Our offence is still as efficient as ever, even when it doesn't look great. Here's to hoping we get back to our high flying ways next week when we're back at home!

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 3.27.39 PM.png

One thing that didn't thrill me and I haven't yet seen mentioned on the boards was that - unless I'm forgetting it - we never took an intentional deep shot. (That play to Hooper was an improvisation if I ever saw one.) I know, I know, "take what they give you," but I thought trying to extend the field (even if incomplete) might have opened up a little space for us up front. And half the time you end up with a PI.

Ah, well. Nitpicking. I expect a more dynamic offense this Sunday.

Just now, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

One thing that didn't thrill me and I haven't yet seen mentioned on the boards was that - unless I'm forgetting it - we never took an intentional deep shot. (That play to Hooper was an improvisation if I ever saw one.) I know, I know, "take what they give you," but I thought trying to extend the field (even if incomplete) might have opened up a little space for us up front. And half the time you end up with a PI.

Hail Mary to Julio is PI 1/3 times minimum. I say we run the play continuously until the league is forced to change the rule book.

3 hours ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

I feel exactly the same way about the deep shots. I get so excited every time I see Matt unleash one deep, even though I can't see downfield. I think we've just been conditioned over the last few seasons that deep shots = likely huge play.

4 hours ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

If you go back and look hooper and julio were both going deep....hooper just kept going and turned around but I think if the safety did not bite on julion Matt was going to statue of liberty the **** out of that one

4 hours ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

well we don't know that without all-22...

but that hooper throw was an intentional deep throw. Ryan had to make time in the pocket, but it was drawn up with Hooper running the seam.

This is Sarks first year. Anyone remember how stellar Shanahan first year was? Yeah me either. 

So let's all pump the brakes on this teams first game, road game, against a decent defense. It resulted in a W. 

As the year progresses it will all gel and then we can judge. Come week 10 , if we are seeing the same thing then we can spaz. 

Until then, let's all enjoy the show. 

12 hours ago, Wjcorner said:

Passing plays have multiple reads...

I understand that, thank you. My point was that Hooper getting so wide open was a busted coverage, so my assumption was that throwing deep to him was never the intention of the play. I could be wrong. I'm interested to see what we draw up against Green Bay - and even the next two games before the bye - before making any sweeping claims on Sarkisian.

56 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

I understand that, thank you. My point was that Hooper getting so wide open was a busted coverage, so my assumption was that throwing deep to him was never the intention of the play. I could be wrong. I'm interested to see what we draw up against Green Bay - and even the next two games before the bye - before making any sweeping claims on Sarkisian.

I'm confused then. If a player is an eligible receiver downfield, he's intended to get the ball unless they running rub routes or screen plays. Bears ran a cover 3 that play, and the seam can be a cover 3 buster. Now their free safety really screwed the pooch because he ran over the top of Julio wayyyyyyy too early when he should've been playing centerfield ready to break on the seam route. It was a busted coverage because Julio is Julio and teams really don't like him single covered downfield. 

2 hours ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

Here is Dave Archers take, Looks like Ryan saw it early and was buying time to get the ball to Hooper. 

On the 88-yard Hooper TD:

The first part of that play was Matt Ryanicon-article-link.gif buying time. When you look at the play, Chicago had lined up incorrectly and they were trying to adjust as the ball was snapped. They got good pressure on Ryan, but they lost the two-high safety look they had been using, which was corralling anything deep down the middle or deep down the sidelines. In that situation, they lined up incorrectly with no one covering near the hashmark and that allowed Hooper to get open in the deep middle.

So Ryan, buying the time allowed Hooper to get where he needed to get to. And the great eyes of a veteran quarterback also helped get Hooper open on that play. From the start, Matt was looking at Julio and helped draw two defenders to him, including the one deep safety they had on that play. That left Hooper wide open after Matt bought time with his feet.

1 hour ago, Wjcorner said:

I'm confused then. If a player is an eligible receiver downfield, he's intended to get the ball unless they running rub routes or screen plays. Bears ran a cover 3 that play, and the seam can be a cover 3 buster. Now their free safety really screwed the pooch because he ran over the top of Julio wayyyyyyy too early when he should've been playing centerfield ready to break on the seam route. It was a busted coverage because Julio is Julio and teams really don't like him single covered downfield. 

It was Cover 2. Bears ran Cover 2, 2 deep safeties most of the game. 

2 hours ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

Yeah, that wasn't a designed play. The linebacker distracted by Matt's scrambling and the safety by Julio.

But remember Shanny did have a designed play we ran last year that gets the TE wide open. One was a huge gain and the other went for a TD. Tight End all alone near the sideline. 

I'm thinking there's some confusing on what a designed play is...or maybe I'm understanding you guys wrong?

So here's the ball right before the snap. As you can see, a cover 1 shell. Reason I say cover 3 is how the outside corner at the top of the screen pushes out to his deep 3rd at the snap rather than running down the slant.

FLkQ6j9.png

As Julio goes up field he pushes his route all the way to his cut...in other words, he runs his route like a go up until he cuts. He has a step on his guy and the free safety rotates over to bracket Julio. Ryan also starts off looking Julio's way moving the safety. Not sure why Ryan started moving around in the pocket, he actually had a pretty good one...

cREGTgb.png

Edited by Wjcorner

1 hour ago, Wjcorner said:

I'm thinking there's some confusing on what a designed play is...or maybe I'm understanding you guys wrong?

So here's the ball right before the snap. As you can see, a cover 1 shell. Reason I say cover 3 is how the outside corner at the top of the screen pushes out to his deep 3rd at the snap rather than running down the slant.

FLkQ6j9.png

As Julio goes up field he pushes his route all the way to his cut...in other words, he runs his route like a go up until he cuts. He has a step on his guy and the free safety rotates over to bracket Julio. Ryan also starts off looking Julio's way moving the safety. Not sure why Ryan started moving around in the pocket, he actually had a pretty good one...

cREGTgb.png

Dave Archer broke down the play. Ryan caught the defense by surprise, the defense was still lining up The defensive coverage got busted because of the misalignment. The safety read Ryan's eyes which was on Julio in one on one coverage. Read what i posted above.