Florida Falcon Fans. What Are You Doing To Survive?

Tim Mazetti

I am in Sarasota, 45 miles south of Tampa.

I will ride it out and expect to be without electricity for a week or more in this inhospitable summer climate. Though October through May is grand.

Have containers of DW stored, will fill two bath tubs and have buckets to collect rainwater. Gotta flush, even though it will prolly be running down the street because the lift stations won't be working.

Freeze dried foods and canned. Dog food, meds and medical supplies.

Can grill, but only during the first thirty six hours.

After thirty six hours the unprepared will be smelling food, maybe wanting mine instead of going to a FEMA Camp to get their MREs.

Can cook when the sun reappears with my SunOven...takes a while.

Don't like a generator, as it attracts attention I will never go to a FEMA Camp.

I will miss the season opener.....and possibly more.

Edited by Tim Mazetti

7 minutes ago, kenk said:

Good luck and be safe. I am not in Florida but I know what kind of stress you going through. I live on Hilton head Island. It looks like the people in Atlanta area may look out for possible heavy rains and winds coming..

Thanks.

Hilton Head has had their share of this misery..

8 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Thanks.

Hilton Head has had their share of this misery..

We just got our ars kicked by Hurricane Matthew last year. It took FEMA a half a year to remove all the down trees. We use  to have a marina called Palmetto Bay Marina. All the boats and the Marina was damaged. I don't think you can call it a marina anymore..

7 minutes ago, kenk said:

We just got our ars kicked by Hurricane Matthew last year. It took FEMA a half a year to remove all the down trees. We use  to have a marina called Palmetto Bay Marina. All the boats and the Marina was damaged. I don't think you can call it a marina anymore..

I that the tourist attraction with the walk up the stairs to the top of the lighthouse?......Not that I did it.

I have never run from a hurricane in my life.  This one is different. I was supposed to work Saturday, but a friend took my shift.  He lives in a flimsy apartment in a flood zone, so he wanted to spend the storm in a hospital.   

My house is in an evacuation zone. My son and I got the place as ready as we could (no sandbags), but all sensitive possessions off the floor.  

We left and headed north.  We spent last night in Snellville (with my mom).

The advisory this am shows the storm moving West.  It makes me feel foolish for leaving but here we are.  After the noon advisory, we will decide whether to head East and work our way back home.    

8 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I will ride it out and expect to be without electricity for a week or more in this inhospitable summer climate. Though October through May is grand.

Have containers of DW stored, will fill two bath tubs and have buckets to collect rainwater. Gotta flush, even though it will prolly be running down the street because the lift stations won't be working.

After thirty six hours the unprepared will be smelling food, maybe wanting mine instead of going to a FEMA Camp to get their MREs.

Don't like a generator, as it attracts attention I will never go to a FEMA Camp.

Brother sounds like you are ready and my prayers are with you. Being in the field has definitely provided us with this kind of resourcefulness.

12 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Take a cup and fill it with water - put it in the freezer and freeze it.    Put a quarter on top of the ice - and put it back in the freezer.    When the quarter makes it to the bottom of the cup - don't eat the food anymore from the fridge/freezer.

We have decided to head up to Tennessee for a couple of days - leaving tomorrow night - coming back Tuesday afternoon.   We are locking the house down.    

4 hours ago, BleedBlack&Red said:

In Ocala, will ride it out. No worries to be honest. Whatever His will is shall be done.

Yea but what if when the SHTF and he just isn't paying attention cause he is watching Notre Dame/Georgia game.

Seriously though got a lot of friends and people I work with in Florida, Hope it fizzles or just slides west and fizzles out, thats doubtful so watch your butts, especially the storm surge if you are in those areas, like Tampa.