Back to the important stuff. This is TATF for cryin' out loud. Enough of about other teamsI can't believe how amped I am to see our Defense play this Sunday. To be honest my concerns are more offensive than defensive right now. I have a feeling this will be low scoring(21-3, 24-7) Falcons winning and the defense leading the way. 

So what do you think MM and DQ do to shut down the Bears? Do we play Man on their WR's and put 8 in the box all day? Is there any reason whatsoever to fear their passing game at all? Are we going to be in heavier sets until later in the game?

I respect Howard, but lets see him with an encore performance before we get too hyped. Gurley was the next great RB after his rookie season as well...

That said, I agree, man up on the receivers and take the run game out. make them one dimensional early so Vic, Takk, Grady and Poe can eat.

2 hours ago, Flyin' In DC said:

Back to the important stuff. This is TATF for cryin' out loud. Enough of about other teamsI can't believe how amped I am to see our Defense play this Sunday. To be honest my concerns are more offensive than defensive right now. I have a feeling this will be low scoring(21-3, 24-7) Falcons winning and the defense leading the way. 

So what do you think MM and DQ do to shut down the Bears? Do we play Man on their WR's and put 8 in the box all day? Is there any reason whatsoever to fear their passing game at all? Are we going to be in heavier sets until later in the game?

I don't expect them to have any passing game 'threat,' but they do have a solid running back who could keep them in the game.  John Fox loves to pound the rock so I would expect our D to be 'big guys' early until our Offense can get a decent lead, then bring in some pass rushers, but not until mid 4th quarter as I think Fox will NOT abandon the run.  Instead he will just keep pounding the rock and establishing his run game.  

It is no secret that Fox (conservative yes, but no fool) is going to try to shorten this game with Howard getting at least 20+ carries while going with short/intermediate stuff to the TEs to throw the defense off of the scent. Load the box, have those speedy linebackers negate the TEs and guys coming from the backfield, and double dog dare Glennon to beat one of the league's best secondaries over the top. Even if the Falcons start out hot and get up by a couple of scores, Fox is not going to deviate, for fear of Glennon turning the ball over and the Falcons hanging up some serious numbers. Count on a low scoring affair; for the Bears' sake, it better be...

Edited by ratesforless

3 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

I respect Howard, but lets see him with an encore performance before we get too hyped. Gurley was the next great RB after his rookie season as well...

That said, I agree, man up on the receivers and take the run game out. make them one dimensional early so Vic, Takk, Grady and Poe can eat.

Howard is the truth, I would not sleep on him.  If Kyle Long does not play, that will go along way, he is elite.

They key will be our offense hanging some points early and forcing Glennon and that cast of misfits they call WR's up in Chicago to carry the load.

Spoiler alert:  They can't

If we let them hang around, Jordan Howard and that line could grind our dline down.  Not that I am worried really, I think our defense is going to be great this year, but we need to jump out in front of them and force their hand to their air.

On run downs and whenever they have run personnel on the field, we pretty much always stack the box.  In base, Neal acts as a box safety and is responsible for underneath coverage in zone looks.  The key is run fits.  People need to maintain gap integrity and we'll be fine.

2 minutes ago, athell said:

They key will be our offense hanging some points early and forcing Glennon and that cast of misfits they call WR's up in Chicago to carry the load.

If we let them hang around, Jordan Howard and that line could grind our dline down.  Not that I am worried really, I think our defense is going to be great this year, but we need to jump out in front of them and force their hand to their air.

Exactly. Do what elite teams in a foul mood do to bad teams by putting the boots to them early. I can live (no, I can't) with Glennon going for 250+ in garbage time of a 41-20 rout because they fell behind and the Falcon starters are chugging Gatorade on the sidelines. But if Howard has 100+ on the ground, well...

Hopefully, they get the game to the point where the Bears start burying their faces in towels on the bench during the second half...

15 minutes ago, athell said:

Exactly, the biggest problem our defense will face all year will be teams trying to grind on them (running or dink-n-dunking) to take their wind and negate their speed.  Offense has to be efficient (realistically).  Also, as historic as our offense was last season, we couldn't chew up clock well at all and our defense often suffered for it (the Manning/Colt's syndrome).

I haven't been this fired up to watch a Falcons defense since the Gritz Blitz.

That was 40 years ago.  

I don't have huge expectations for the offense.  They will score, but to repeat 34 ppg would be a monumental achievement. 

Last year it seemed like we won everything 35-30.  This year we're going to win a lot of games 27-13, or 21-6.   We're going to get turnovers; the dline is going to rattle opposing QBs. 

The media will do it's annual 'are the Falcons for real? bullsh/t.   And after 12 or 13 wins, they'll have their answer.

I can feel it. 

6 hours ago, ratesforless said:

It is no secret that Fox (conservative yes, but no fool) is going to try to shorten this game with Howard getting at least 20+ carries while going with short/intermediate stuff to the TEs to throw the defense off of the scent. Load the box, have those speedy linebackers negate the TEs and guys coming from the backfield, and double dog dare Glennon to beat one of the league's best secondaries over the top. Even if the Falcons start out hot and get up by a couple of scores, Fox is not going to deviate, for fear of Glennon turning the ball over and the Falcons hanging up some serious numbers. Count on a low scoring affair; for the Bears' sake, it better be...

this is pretty much what I was going to say....

so that might make you want to rethink yourself 

:lol::lol::lol: