Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdawg4876

pats thought jake matthews was an easy target

34 posts in this topic

from vaughn mcclure, pats scouting department said our lt is light on the edge and could be had. Yall know im not a huge matthews fan but dang do I love his response here. here is the whole article.

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons left tackle Jake Matthews doesn't care if outsiders criticize his ability.

Matthews made such clear in response to a recent documentary featuring the New England Patriots' run to the Super Bowl title. During one scene of “Do Your Job, Part II” on NFL Network -- as ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss noted -- cameras captured Patriots director of pro personnel Dave Ziegler giving his scouting report to the coaches and saying Matthews was “light on the edge.” Ziegler went on to say opponents can have success by powering through Matthews' outside shoulder.

Matthews was whistled for a holding penalty with 3 minutes, 50 seconds left in regulation during Super Bowl LI, a penalty that aided the Patriots' 34-28 come-from-behind victory after facing a 28-3 deficit. He grabbed Chris Long around the neck with his left arm, negating a Matt Ryan third-and-23 completion to Mohamed Sanu that would have kept the Falcons in field-goal range.

Matthews did not watch the documentary.

“I mean, s---, everyone's got an opinion,” Matthews told ESPN. “I just go out there and do my job the best I can and keep getting better. That's all I can really do. What am I'm going to say that's going to change it? I know I'm a good player and I know I can play. So, just keep working.”

Right tackle Ryan Schraeder firmly backed his fellow offensive lineman.

“Jake's a **** of a player,” Schraeder said. “He's everything you want in your left tackle. I think he's got really good feet and that he gets himself in good position. He's got great leverage. I think he's a great player. Whenever his contract is up, he's fixing to be a big-time signing.

“That s---, it's just whatever. [The Patriots] can say whatever they want.”

Matthews, a first-round draft pick in 2014, certainly wants to elevate his play going into his fourth NFL season. The Falcons picked up his fifth-year option, meaning he's signed through next season. And one of the elements Matthews said he worked on this offseason is his overall strength in relation to fending off bull-rushers. He called his cousin, Clay Matthews, the toughest bull-rusher he's faced. Clay Matthews and the Green Bay Packers come to Atlanta for a Week 2 Sunday night showdown.

But first up, Jake Matthews has a challenge Sunday against Chicago Bears at their combination of edge rushers in Willie Young and Leonard Floyd.

“They've got good players, so it's going to be tough,” Matthews said of the Bears. “Their inside three are bigger, stout guys, so they're going to try and run down the middle of you. Both their rush guys, they'll switch and play whole drives on either side, so me and Ryan both have to be ready for them. They're both good with their hands and long, athletic guys. It's going to be a challenge, but we feel up for it.”

Matthews will get a chance to show the Patriots he's not so "light on the edge" when the Falcons and Patriots meet in a Super Bowl rematch Oct. 22 at New England.

Yeah, this isn't really a story.

That is his weakness, he's always been susceptible to the bullrush.  Het gets overpowered.  All he can do, as he said, is keeping working on it, and focus on that part of his game.

I thought he had a really bad game. Two holding calls. One at a crucial moment. Honestly Schrader didn't look much better. They were whipping our OL at 3 positions in the 4th quarter. I know Mack was hurt. I'm not really sure about Jake. That's the story though.

Godzilla1985 likes this

1 hour ago, since68andcounting said:

I thought he had a really bad game. Two holding calls. One at a crucial moment. Honestly Schrader didn't look much better. They were whipping our OL at 3 positions in the 4th quarter. I know Mack was hurt. I'm not really sure about Jake. That's the story though.

Schraeder got injured early in the game and gutted through it as long as he could. For as healthy as we'd been along the Oline during the season, we paid the price in the SB 

I didn't know he was playing hurt.

I thought that was only Mack and then Schraeder got hurt 2nd quarter

I thought Jake just sucked that day...    Where was it documented that Jake was playing injured?

6 hours ago, Gimme. said:

That holding call against him was such a ticky-tacky one regardless. It was a pretty weak and desperate call imo. 

No it was a good call, it just kind of pisses me off how the Chiefs' pass rushers were wearing Nate Solder as jewelry all last night and he wasn't called for a holding penalty.

6 hours ago, Gimme. said:

That holding call against him was such a ticky-tacky one regardless. It was a pretty weak and desperate call imo. 

The worst part about that play is that the Patriots tackled Sanu by his facemask and there was no call. Should have been offsetting penalties, which would have kept us in field goal range.

Marco102 and quickzero like this

On 9/8/2017 at 11:23 AM, notthatcool said:

Every team looks for a "weakness" to try to get an advantage.  They thought it was JM.

Doesn't mean JM isn't a good player.   

All players have strengths and weaknesses.

i didn't see the show  but it says the Patriots DPP was overheard saying this is the area to try and get Matthews. Well, they had an opinion like that for all the other players on our team too.

Our scouts could have just as easily been overheard saying you can cause Brady to become severely irratic by getting pressure on him. Does that mean Brady is not a Pro Bowl level QB  or one of the weaknesses of the team?

i think thie quote is being taken wildly out of context as if to say Matthews was singled out on the Falcons roster as a weak spot.

HASHBROWN3 and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, Mojojojo said:

The worst part about that play is that the Patriots tackled Sanu by his facemask and there was no call. Should have been offsetting penalties, which would have kept us in field goal range.

Yeah, were a few calls that could have been called. One other that sticks out was the grab of our LB at the goal line to allow the win. It hurts to see that kind of thing happen. The real reason the Falcons lost to me was the play calling and lack of adjusting to what the Pats were doing in the second half of the game.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

All players have strengths and weaknesses.

Most every player has some area of his game where the opposing team scouting them will tell their players to go aftwr.

i didn't see the show  but it says the Patriots DPP was overheard saying this is the area to try and get Matthews. Well, they may have had an opinion like that for all the other players on our team too.

Our scouts could have just as easily been overheard saying you can cause Brady to become severely irratic by getting pressure on him. Does that eman Brady is not a good player?

i think thie quote is being taken wildly out of context as if to say Matthews was singled out on the Falcons roster as a weak spot.

I'm just posting it, it's vaughns hot take lol. But I agree to an extent he does operate on skates with bull rushers. Like I said though loved his and Ryan Schrader comments.

gazoo likes this

14 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

I'm just posting it, it's vaughns hot take lol. But I agree to an extent he does operate on skates with bull rushers. Like I said though loved his and Ryan Schrader comments.

Oh yeah, i knew you were not dogging Matthews by posting this.

4 hours ago, Gee-Q said:

I didn't know he was playing hurt.

I thought that was only Mack and then Schraeder got hurt 2nd quarter

I thought Jake just sucked that day...    Where was it documented that Jake was playing injured?

He got injured innthe KC game and doctors told him it wouldnt heal until he gave it several weeks rest. He decided to play hurt instead of take several games off and let it heal in offseason.

PokerSteve likes this

Whatevs. 

If you were playing us last year, would you go after Jake or Chester? I find it hard to believe the Pat's D-coordinators wouldn't have thought the same. Besides, Matt struggles a bit with in-his-face pressure (as do many). 

That said, an outside-shoulder bull rush is clearly the best way to go after Jake, so it isn't like he's wrong. Jake's feet, form and technique have always been crazy good to my eyes, but I'd like to feel better about his upper body strength.  

His strength was adequate coming out of College but not as good as Taylor Lewan's, which is why some liked the Michigan kid better as a prospect. Lewan also had superior 40 time and broad jump. Matthews is solid but I think Tennessee stands pat in a do-over.

jdawg4876 likes this