Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott1988

Fans felt trapped while trying to exit the new stadium

100 posts in this topic

Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta just opened this month and it is a technological marvel. It better be if it cost $1.6 billion. From the retractable roof, to the circular LED board, to the sideline suites and more, the designers of Mercedes-Benz Stadium thought of everything and it really looks nice on TV. Problem is, they may have made it extremely tough to exit the stadium.

Multiple people reported that they weren’t able to get out of the stadium after Saturday night’s Alabama-Florida State and Monday night’s Tennessee-Georgia Tech game. Their stories range from simple frustration to being downright terrifying.

http://thecomeback.com/nfl/fans-felt-trapped-trying-to-exit-mercedes-benz-stadium.html

Tim Mazetti and Borat like this

A lady at work was complaining about exiting after the game this morning.  She said she would never go back and that it was a death trap if anything were to happen in there.  I thought she was being a bit dramatic.  Hmmm  

Tim Mazetti likes this

I had a similar experience at Excalibur in Vegas.  There are 84 ways to get in and about 2 ways to get out.  I was freaking, running around like Ray Milland in The Lost Weekend.   I got so desperate I drank some bourbon and blew another 500 on roulette. 

I wonder if they designed it that way on purpose?

Naaaaah.................

They had certain exits blocked off after the UT/Tech game. Not sure why but it really F'ed things up trying to get out of the building in places. Seemed pointless to do it the way that they were trying to do it.

Tim Mazetti and Drew4719 like this

That's crazy.    I didn't have any issue, but I didn't go to the College game.   I wonder if they had some of the exits blocked off?    Seems like this is something they would correct quickly.

9 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Why would they want to leave? 

Cuz theyre ready to go home after being there for 9-12 hours in the heat , maybe ?

or if they have other business

Tim Mazetti likes this

13 minutes ago, Ransack said:

They had certain exits blocked off after the UT/Tech game. Not sure why but it really F'ed things up trying to get out of the building in places. Seemed pointless to do it the way that they were trying to do it.

I heard that as well. Unlike the Alabama/FSU game where the score started to get lopsided and folks began to trickle out little early, the UT/Tech game went into double OT (don't remind me, I was no earthly good at work the next day) and everyone left at the same time. And when you have a good number of exits already blocked off, bad things can happen.

Hopefully, they'll see what took place and adjust accordingly...

They got lucky and nobody got killed in the crush. If you've never been caught up in that situation, it ain't no effing joke: Many years ago I was about 20 to 25 feet from the door of a department store late on Christmas Eve night. The store was reopening at midnight for a big toy sale.

Obviously a lot of people were hoping to pick up one more toy at a bargain price for Christmas Day. By midnight, there were literally hundreds of people in front of the store, impatiently crowding up to get as close to the door as possible.

The employees watching all the pushing and shoving were afraid to open the door because they could see what was about to happen. But, when the crowd saw it was midnight and they weren't opening the doors, they got angry. Those in the back started pushing forward and those closest to the door were suddenly being pushed up against the door, literally bending the glass and door frame inward.

Realizing it was going to be even worse to not unlock the door, some store employee inside quickly turned the key and the door burst open like a dam breaking. The first 40 to 50 people standing in front of the doorway, including me, went through it like water through a spigot.

My feet never touched the ground from where I had been standing until I was almost 10 feet through the door. My mother fortunately had been standing in front of me and I was barely able to keep her from going down and under the crowd behind us. I don't know if anybody was seriously hurt, I do know there were a lot of people bruised up and shaken.

It was freakishly scary. Don't ever want to experience it again. Definitely would discourage me from going to the MB Dome until they get that ish figured out.

14 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Heat in a climate controlled $1.6 billion indoor sports Venue?? Maybe not.

Is the stadium roof, opened just asking ??

13 minutes ago, Hungry said:

Yeah those games played at 8 pm indoors can get excruciating hot.....

Omg , Youre so right man because people get there exactly at 8 , you sure told me. Guess i was wrong, idk what i was thinking

7 minutes ago, caponine said:

Is the stadium roof, opened just asking ??

It is closed and will be that way for events for the next few months, per the MBS authorities. Plus, I doubt that they will create extreme temperature environments hot or cold in this venue.

Just answering.

5 minutes ago, thesouphead said:

reminds me of the dome.

Yep, I've been in that situation a few times.  One time they were giving something out after the game - bobblehead or something - I don't remember now - and I got caught up in the crowd - and couldn't get out to leave.   I was pushed all the way down almost the length of the whole side of the building after stepping from the inner concourse to the outer area.   I was panicked and felt trapped.  I couldn't get free from the crowd - and it was one of those moments where you nearly freak out or pass out.    

I've had that experience a few times - and it's scary as ****.

39 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

A preseason game, I assume, was not as packed but did anyone who went to either of the Falcons games have issues getting out?

I was at both preseason games and had no problems getting out from 300 level.

Kaptain Krazy likes this

5 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Yep, I've been in that situation a few times.  One time they were giving something out after the game - bobblehead or something - I don't remember now - and I got caught up in the crowd - and couldn't get out to leave.   I was pushed all the way down almost the length of the whole side of the building after stepping from the inner concourse to the outer area.   I was panicked and felt trapped.  I couldn't get free from the crowd - and it was one of those moments where you nearly freak out or pass out.    

I've had that experience a few times - and it's scary as ****.

Buy me a ticket next time and anyone gets near you they'll catch some hands!! :lol: 

I don't mind crowds I start throwing shoulders and people give me space.

Tandy likes this