Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falcndave

Worst NFL Depth at Outside LB: Falcons

38 posts in this topic

My take: Not sure he understand our roster and/or scheme. He also probably underestimates Riley.

LINK (insiders required)

Outside linebacker: Atlanta Falcons

Starters: Vic Beasley Jr., De'Vondre Campbell
Key reserve: Duke Riley

Every defense would love to have at least two quality edge rushers. We see this best in the AFC West with Denver (Von Miller and Shane Ray), Kansas City (Justin Houston and Dee Ford/Tamba Hali), Los Angeles (Joey Bosa and Melvin Gordon) and Oakland (Khalil Mack and Bruce Irvin). In Atlanta, Vic Beasley was a bit of a one-man show last season. His 15.5 sacks led the NFL, while no other Atlanta defender had more than 4.5 sacks. Dwight Freeney, who had 29 hurries, is not returning this year, so it could be the Beasley show again, with only rookies -- including third-round pick Duke Riley -- backing him up.

De'Vondre Campbell was a fourth-round pick who started last year, but he had only three hurries because he's more of an off-ball linebacker. First-round pick Takkarist McKinley could eventually create a duo of bookend rushers for Atlanta, but he is more of a traditional 4-3 defensive end than Beasley.

Tim Mazetti likes this

12 minutes ago, falcndave said:

My take: Not sure he understand our roster and/or scheme. He also probably underestimates Riley.

LINK (insiders required)

Outside linebacker: Atlanta Falcons

Starters: Vic Beasley Jr., De'Vondre Campbell
Key reserve: Duke Riley

Every defense would love to have at least two quality edge rushers. We see this best in the AFC West with Denver (Von Miller and Shane Ray), Kansas City (Justin Houston and Dee Ford/Tamba Hali), Los Angeles (Joey Bosa and Melvin Gordon) and Oakland (Khalil Mack and Bruce Irvin). In Atlanta, Vic Beasley was a bit of a one-man show last season. His 15.5 sacks led the NFL, while no other Atlanta defender had more than 4.5 sacks. Dwight Freeney, who had 29 hurries, is not returning this year, so it could be the Beasley show again, with only rookies -- including third-round pick Duke Riley -- backing him up.

De'Vondre Campbell was a fourth-round pick who started last year, but he had only three hurries because he's more of an off-ball linebacker. First-round pick Takkarist McKinley could eventually create a duo of bookend rushers for Atlanta, but he is more of a traditional 4-3 defensive end than Beasley.

What a dumbass. Beasley isn't an OLB either, he's used as a freaking DE, duh.... And the only two LB's on the field in the nickel that we play 70% of the time are the two ILB's..

If you look at it from a purely Maddenesque view of football, your OLB is a passrusher and his back up is an untested rookie, it makes some sense. But the scheme is the key here. The team went to the Super Bowl with less quality depth at the position last year.

papachaz and Knight of God like this

6 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

What a dumbass. Beasley isn't an OLB either, he's used as a freaking DE, duh.... And the only two LB's on the field in the nickel that we play 70% of the time are the two ILB's..

Yeah, Beasley may be the starting SLB on the defensive depth chart but he is a nickel DE most of the time.

Like I said in my post earlier the guy has no idea. He even said that Riley was Beasley's backup. Riley is a WLB and not a SLB.

ESPN is awful.

I guess he has Keanu Neal playing cornerback and Deion Jones as our safety?

Sports writer - not the best paying job in the world but few jobs allow you to make as many errors and still get paid?  I used to think weather forecasters had it easy but even they get some heat when big storms come.  I just hope one of those AJC jobs opens up soon.

46 minutes ago, Jesus said:

If you look at it from a purely Maddenesque view of football, your OLB is a passrusher and his back up is an untested rookie, it makes some sense. But the scheme is the key here. The team went to the Super Bowl with less quality depth at the position last year.

On Madden, Campbell is Beasley backup and Riley starts on the weak side. 

no mention of brooks reed, a DE but can play standing up to rush the passer,  not to mention the OLB does more than rush the passer.   we have Grace and didn't we stash JT Jones on the PS?

12 minutes ago, newgafatboy said:

no mention of brooks reed, a DE but can play standing up to rush the passer,  not to mention the OLB does more than rush the passer.   we have Grace and didn't we stash JT Jones on the PS?

I was about to say the same.  At strong side we have Beasley, Campbell, Reed, and even possibly Upshaw if need be.

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

He's going by the official roster.

Technically we have 4 OLBs on the roster with the new guy.

Last year we had like 8 OLBs and like 2-3 DEs and DTs.  Upshaw was an OLB last year.

Yeah the guy is doing the minimum 

caponine likes this

Gordon is going to get awfully tired rushing around the edge on offense and then being an edge rusher on defense.  Hope he holds up for them.

LOL @ on Madden...

Some of you freaks need some serious help. No wonder there is so much stupid chit popping up here.

Well I play a video game called Madden...therefore ...derp derp derp.

not knocking having fun playing video games but when it becomes your alt reality you may just be helplessly lost lmao :lol:

4 hours ago, RandomFan said:

First-round pick Takkarist McKinley could eventually create a duo of bookend rushers for Atlanta, but he is more of a traditional 4-3 defensive end than Beasley.

This guy is a COMPLETE IDIOT!  He knocks Tak but had perviously lauded these guys:

Every defense would love to have at least two quality edge rushers. We see this best in the AFC West with Denver (Von Miller and Shane Ray), Kansas City (Justin Houston and Dee Ford/Tamba Hali), Los Angeles (Joey Bosa and Melvin Gordon) and Oakland (Khalil Mack and Bruce Irvin).

Like Bosa and Hali arent exactly the same thing......more of a traditional 4-3 defensive end.  Another journalist with an agenda!