Pretty Sick of Hearing About Kyle Shanahan

Peyton

I am so sick of hearing about Kyle Shanahan being the reason for the Falcons offensive greatness last year, and how the Falcons offense is going to drop off without him.

Great offenses are about putting the together the right collection of great players, and Shanahan definitely had a roll in that.  But he is gone, and the great players are still here.  I am pretty sure that Sarkisian and Ryan are collectively smart enough to exploit all these offensive weapons we have equally as well as the Boy Wonder, and I can't wait for the Falcons to throw up 600 points this year.

Because if I am sick of hearing about Kyle Shanahan, I can't imagine how sick the Falcons offensive players are of hearing it.  We running it up on people this year.

And we'll see how much of a genius Kyle is in San Francisco this year.

3 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I am so sick of hearing about Kyle Shanahan being the reason for the Falcons offensive greatness last year, and how the Falcons offense is going to drop off without him.

Great offenses are about putting the together the right collection of great players, and Shanahan definitely had a roll in that.  But he is gone, and the great players are still here.  I am pretty sure that Sarkisian and Ryan are collectively smart enough to exploit all these offensive weapons we have equally as well as the Boy Wonder, and I can't wait for the Falcons to throw up 600 points this year.

Because if I am sick of hearing about Kyle Shanahan, I can't imagine how sick the Falcons offensive players are of hearing it.  We running it up on people this year.

And we'll see how much of a genius Kyle is in San Francisco this year.

I could not agree with you more. Besides my obvious bias for us to win games, I would love for our offense to keep rolling this year at the same pace it was last year.

I also don't like these self-styled evil-genius coaches who think they are too good at their job to work collaboratively with players, which obviously F-ed us in the SB.

People are quick to forget that this is the same system Kyle has always run.  He never got close to last year's production until he had the players that could actually execute it on a high level.  Kyle is gone, the players and system are still here. Sick and tired of lazy journalism. Copy cat questions and observations with absolutely no thought behind them. :bang:

I understand the concern, he was a great play designer and usually play caller. Not great situational awareness though. I believe the talent at his disposal was the main reason for the success but I think he played a decent part in it as well. There might be a drop off (more of an adjustment period)  but I don't think it'll be significant. And with the improved defense I don't think it'll matter

Before last year his offenses had finished in the top half of the league in scoring twice in eight seasons, and in the top 5 only once.  Maybe the guy is "the best offensive mind in football", but if that is the case, his average finish in scoring of 19th over his career is extremely compelling evidence that it is way more about the players than the OC.

Chris Simms (I've heard that Kyle Shanahan is his best friend) thinks the Falcons are going to fall all over themselves on offense this year. 

We'll see.

3 minutes ago, Skeetbird said:

I'm sick of that ...AND hearing about NE and No and CAR and TB  and Dallas.....and SEA...and and and

IKR,  NE is the only team on that list that we didn't stomp in the mud last year. (Well we stomped, but they got up.) We would have stomped Dallas, but we didn't play them. Funny how every team that's been ranked ahead of us except NE we beat last year.

4 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Before last year his offenses had finished in the top half of the league in scoring twice in eight seasons, and in the top 5 only once.  Maybe the guy is "the best offensive mind in football", but if that is the case, his average finish in scoring of 19th over his career is extremely compelling evidence that it is way more about the players than the OC.

Chris Simms (I've heard that Kyle Shanahan is his best friend) thinks the Falcons are going to fall all over themselves on offense this year. 

We'll see.

He has never followed up a great offensive performance with another. In fact the drop off is pretty substantial. I like that the team has a new OC with new "wrinkles." That means no one is for sure what the Falcons might or might not do.

13 minutes ago, Peyton said:

We'll see.

Which is funny because offense was never the Falcons problem prior to Kyle's arrival..

6 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Shanny was there in 2015 when our offense was atrocious.  What was the biggest difference from 2015 to 2016? Alex Mack.

Because he was the genius that thought we "could get by at center" in 2015.  That experiment blew up in our faces.

Edited by BAMF
grammar

25 minutes ago, Peyton said:

We'll see.

Kyle Shanahan takes commitments to quarterbacks very seriously.

The Falcons offensive coordinator linked with the 49ers head coaching vacancy has a tattoo dedicated to his quarterback at Texas in 2002.

That quarterback is Chris Simms, the former NFL quarterback whose father is former NFL quarterback Phil Simms. Shanahan’s initials, meanwhile, are on the ankle of Chris Simms.

The two became close friends when they played for Texas in 2002. And one evening, they ventured to a tattoo parlor.

“Chris was dying to get a tattoo,” Shanahan told the Houston Chronicle in 2006. “When we got to the (parlor), I was the only one who already didn’t have one. … I got one out of loyalty to my buddies.”

Phil Simms reaction? “Oh my gosh,” he told the Washington Post.

“One day, you’re gonna be going, ‘Man, that was a dumb moment when we went down there and got that done,” Phil Simms, now a CBS analyst, said he told his son. “Yes, I’ve seen it and it’s still there, and he’s got a picture of a Longhorn on his leg too. It is what it is. They are good friends. I know he respects Kyle tremendously as a coach.”

Not just good friends — best friends.
“We’re best friends, and we’ll be best friends for life,” Simms told the Chronicle. “We hit it off from day one. We had a common bond in that our fathers” — Phil Simms and Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, respectively) have been such a big part of the NFL for a long time.”

Been wonderin about that dude ever since.  Gettin another mans initials taooed to your ankle...........thats just.....welll.....strange.

Think about it Kyle some day you and me we're gonna be in the NFL!

You really think so Chris?

I don't doubt it for a second. You being so smart and my last name being Simms. Then you, you're gonna be a coach.

A real live coach?!

You bet and me, well I'm gonna write for Bleacher Report.

What's that?

I don't know but it sure is gonna be special.

30 minutes ago, Peyton said:

We'll see.

Shanahan deserves a lot of credit, and past offensive rankings are misleading.  He inherited dumpster fires and made them very serviceable.  The Browns and Redskins were much worse offensively without him.  

Bill Parcells doesn't have the best career win/loss record.  He was a coveted HC because he took terrible teams and turned them into contenders within 2 seasons.  Kyle has that same track record with offenses in the NFL.  

That being said, those teams Parcells rebuilt ended up having continued success after he left.  

Was thinking the other day, if we are now entering an era in which we will have our first dynasty, Kyle will always be attributed as the architect of our offense. You know what, If we are consistently as good as we played last year.....I'm fine with that. In my mind it was DQ that recognized him and his offensive scheme as potentially being a great fit here. Let Shanny have all the props he can as long as we continue to fly. 

2 hours ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Shanny was there in 2015 when our offense was atrocious.  What was the biggest difference from 2015 to 2016? Alex Mack.

In previous years Kyle Shanahan fed one receiver far more than the rest. I believe the center has greatly improved line play but I also believe Quinn demanded Kyle spread the ball around in his second season (as evidenced by statements made by Kyle in both seasons about 15) "giving it to Julio is a priority" 16) "spreading the ball around is a priority." Kyle looked like normal Kyle in 15 with Ryan making new system mistakes, but Kyle didn't look like old Kyle in 16, as I believe Quinn made an outline and mantra for the offense. There was a different style of play in 16. It could be that the playbook was wide open at that point, but Kyle called games differently and better in 16. It was his first year to year major improvement iirc. 

Edited by droopy1592

2 hours ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Biggest difference from 2015 to 2016 was matt Ryan's grasp of the WCO......

Shanny deserves credit for installing that system, ryan deserves credit for working his azz off last offseason in mastering it.

4 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

In previous years Kyle Shanahan fed one receiver far more than the rest. I believe the center has greatly improved line play but I also believe Quinn demanded Kyle spread the ball around in his second season (as evidenced by statements made by Kyle in both seasons about 15) "giving it to Julio is a priority" 16) "spreading the ball around is a priority." Kyle looked like normal Kyle in 15 with Ryan making new system mistakes, but Kyle didn't look like old Kyle in 16, as I believe Quinn made an outline and mantra for the offense. There was a different style of play in 16. It could be that the playbook was wide open at that point, but Kyle called games differently and better in 16. It was his first year to year major improvement iirc. 

2015 Falcons offense was painful to watch. Literally just throwing over and over to JJ, leading to nagging JJ injuries and, IMHO, upping MR's interceptions due to our predicable offense. Give him credit for changing it up last year, but it's not like Shanahan has as unblemished record of success.

8 hours ago, octoslash said:

He's such a genius he couldn't come up with 'run-run-run-kick-hoist Lombardi'.

or victory formation, kneel kneel kneel, kick. I truly thought we were going to kneel 3 times and kick the fg. I would trade 7 yards for their time outs. Bryant is money from 44 yds. I was literally afraid of running the ball, and passing the ball is something that I didn't even consider as a reality. Up by 16 and in fg position?