Jump to content

How we can resign Matt Ryan and stay under the cap.


Recommended Posts

Ok so this great idea came to me in another thread and I figured I bring it here for discussion. Here are the two scenarios:

Scenario 1:

We have Matt announce to the world that he loves being with the falcons and #inbrotherhood he is willing to extend his current contract and essentially taking a paycut. Behind the scenes we have a secret contract paying matt the difference for "consulting work" for AM Blank group. We can keep it under the table the NFL couldnt dispute it and we would lock up all our players. Heck we can do this with Julio as well and any "loyal" Falcon

Scenario 2: 

I was reading that performance based bonus that AREN'T likely to be earned do not count against the cap. So with that being said we can sign Ryan to a 100m dollar contract but have a 50m performance based bonus like throw 30 touchdowns WITH ONE EYE OPEN. Thats very unlikely (who throws touchdowns with one eye?) Have ryan pull it off...boom. 

Somebody get Dimitroff on the phone ASAP!

:slick:

Edited by nolove4thecrook
Spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The penalty for scenario 1 would be that somebody would get kicked out of the league, and I don't think any of the Falcons well respected management wants that..  Not only that, but Ryan's own Players Union would sound the alarm, because they don't want any players taking undervalued contracts because of the precedence it sets.

The Falcons aren't going to have problems staying under the cap due to Ryan's contract.  It's all these studs on the defense that will eventually make it difficult.  But the good news is we will probably have 2 Super Bowl rings by the time it becomes a problem.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Peyton said:

The penalty for scenario 1 would be that somebody would get kicked out of the league.  Not only that, but Ryan's own Players Union would sound the alarm, because they don't want any players taking undervalued contracts because of the precedence it sets.

Now that posts another great question. If Ryan did do that would the union get Gestapo-like on him threating him if he signed a lowball contract. What could the union do? Other than kick him out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The trick is spreading the money out over as many years as possible - he may sign a 7+ year deal with the expectation he only plays 6 years but those final years would be rebuilding years or years capable of being absorbed by a new contract replacement around year 5 or so.  The money is guaranteed to him but kicks it to later when the cap is also higher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

The trick is spreading the money out over as many years as possible - he may sign a 7+ year deal with the expectation he only plays 6 years but those final years would be rebuilding years or years capable of being absorbed by a new contract replacement around year 5 or so.  The money is guaranteed to him but kicks it to later when the cap is also higher.

I thought you could only spread guaranteed money over 5 years, so anything more is essentially useless from a player perspective. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, Stanford counts for a lower percent of the Lions cap after this mega deal than he did when signing his previous deal. They were talking about it in detail on NFL radio when he signed.

they did say Ryan will be the next one to move the needle again, and after him, Rodgers and the young guns (Winston, Marriotta) there will be a $30MM/ year QB.

So, we should be able to manage if we get ryan done sooner than later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

The penalty for scenario 1 would be that somebody would get kicked out of the league, and I don't think any of the Falcons well respected management wants that..  Not only that, but Ryan's own Players Union would sound the alarm, because they don't want any players taking undervalued contracts because of the precedence it sets.

You mean like what Tom Brady does and has done for years? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, athell said:

You mean like what Tom Brady does and has done for years? :)

If you can prove Kraft is paying Brady under the table, I promise we will have a new scandal.

The union doesn't like that Brady gives NE that 30 -35% discount, they don't like it at all.  But if the league found out Kraft was paying Brady under the table, all h*ll would break loose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, athell said:

You mean like what Tom Brady does and has done for years? :)

Was about to bring up how the Patriots buy supplements and performance services from TB12 INC. How the league allowed that to happen is unbelievable but I wholeheartedly think that is ONE of the reasons why Tom Terrific takes less than market value. Kraft has probably guaranteed that he'll be on Patriots payroll for the rest of his days too. 

 

Bottom line: that organization cheats every way they can without (or with) getting caught. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Peyton said:

If you can prove Kraft is paying Brady under the table, I promise we will have a new scandal.

The union doesn't like that Brady gives NE that 30 -35% discount, they don't like it at all.  But if the league found out Kraft was paying Brady under the table, all h*ll would break loose.

Like this?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/12/19/patriots-pay-business-owned-tom-brady-and-partner-with-dubious-past/C4zMzcPDgU62WMMg10qeBL/story.html
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By next year Ryan already counts almost $22M against the cap. A new contract is not going to take that cap hit much higher, and will likely bring it down by spreading the bonus for the first 3-4 years. Ryan isn't the cap problem we need to worry about, it's all the youngsters on the D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I think the NFL should put an end to that, but it doesn't qualify as "under the table".  They have obviously run it by the league and the league is OK with it apparently.  My guess is the amount of money the Pats are paying the company is fairly small.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

If you can prove Kraft is paying Brady under the table, I promise we will have a new scandal.

The union doesn't like that Brady gives NE that 30 -35% discount, they don't like it at all.  But if the league found out Kraft was paying Brady under the table, all h*ll would break loose.

It's pretty out in the open, the league just chooses to not do a thing about it.  It's public knowledge (and the league itself has acknowledged it) that the Patriots pay for services to a company that one of their employees (Tom Brady) owns.  It has raised plenty of eyebrows, but the league has basically put their fingers in their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA LA.

1 hour ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Was about to bring up how the Patriots buy supplements and performance services from TB12 INC. How the league allowed that to happen is unbelievable but I wholeheartedly think that is ONE of the reasons why Tom Terrific takes less than market value. Kraft has probably guaranteed that he'll be on Patriots payroll for the rest of his days too. 

 

Bottom line: that organization cheats every way they can without (or with) getting caught. 

I will never understand it and it's been going on for years.  There is some shady stuff in the league front office that's all I know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

I think the NFL should put an end to that, but it doesn't qualify as "under the table".  They have obviously run it by the league and the league is OK with it apparently.  My guess is the amount of money the Pats are paying the company is fairly small.

All true and it probably is a relatively small amount... At least on the invoice but there may be a little creative bookkeeping going on too. I think it's bull smoke.

I think that the greatness of BB and TB is obvious but I don't trust them one bit. Not one bit. Something smells about that organization and it makes it worse that they have been caught cheating or at the very least violating the spirit of the rules and the game (deflategate notwithstanding). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Butudontseeme™ said:

All true and it probably is a relatively small amount... At least on the invoice but there may be a little creative bookkeeping going on too. I think it's bull smoke.

I think that the greatness of BB and TB is obvious but I don't trust them one bit. Not one bit. Something smells about that organization and it makes it worse that they have been caught cheating or at the very least violating the spirit of the rules and the game (deflategate notwithstanding). 

I said all that to say Ryan needs to go into business with Tony Gonzalez to supplement the Atlanta falcons. :lol::ninja:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Say what!?!??! This is insanity so im not such a genius after all this is going on,people know about it and this turd is on the PATRIOTS SIDELINE?? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, nolove4thecrook said:

So the patriots have basically been doing it already... not surprising. That stinks to high heaven I was clearly joking but wow...unbelievable. I wonder what would happen if someone starting looking into this. 

The league is on record as saying they are aware of what is happening, it is not a violation of the cba, and they are not willing to take any action.  Is what it is...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PK Manley said:

NLTBE incentives hit the cap in the following year.  No offense, but do you really think no one would have thought of that if they didn't count?

Matt's already a $23.75 million cap hit this year.  Just structure his next deal well and we'll be fine.

but where's the 'sneaky' in that? where's the high one might get from the risk of getting caught doing something under the table, I mean we even piped in crowd noise!!!!!!111111!!!!!!

where's the thrill of getting to go :wiggle::mmmhmm: every minute of every day you don't get caught? I mean come ON man, you can't just dash the OP's hopes like that!!!!

 :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, papachaz said:

but where's the 'sneaky' in that? where's the high one might get from the risk of getting caught doing something under the table, I mean we even piped in crowd noise!!!!!!111111!!!!!!

where's the thrill of getting to go :wiggle::mmmhmm: every minute of every day you don't get caught? I mean come ON man, you can't just dash the OP's hopes like that!!!!

 :D

EXACTLY @papachaz and now that i found out NE does it . ...whats there to lose??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

I thought you could only spread guaranteed money over 5 years, so anything more is essentially useless from a player perspective. 

That's true - but in many cases, you see them backload the contract - so that the highest base salary is covered in the contract years that follow the 5 - and give him the guaranteed money as a signing bonus so the front loaded lower salary doesn't matter.   He gets paid and the contract is cap friendly - and will be restructured before the back loaded unfriendly part hits :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...