Who will the Falcons sign to fill their open roster spot?

lostnmexico

The Falcoholic asked this question this morning citing the possibility of bringing in a LB, DT, or a S.  While I agree with them that all are possibilties, I still think due to age (Schaub was coached by some guy named Moses) and the availability of some guys on the market that QB is still a possibility.  Atlanta currently has an open Roster slot and an open PQ slot.  I believe after the Sambrialo trade that they would be reluctant to move draft picks.  They do however have an over abundance of defensive linemen to use as trade currency.

Here are my top choices:

Blaine Gabbert  -   Yeah.  I know I may get lit up for this one but lets face it, both Jacksonville and San Francisco were less than ideal situations. 6'4' / 235 Still just 27 and I have always liked the arm if not the decisión making.  His best year was his first in SanFrancisco.  Playing in only 8 games, Gabbert put up 2039 yards and 10 TDs versus 7 picks.  Not world beating numbers but if you remember who they had a reciever during that time, he might have lookied like Moses in the wilderness to the 49er faithful.  I know this might no be a popular pick but a younger back up that Schaub with starting experience and what I still believe to be upside with better talent and proper coaching would be my choice.  He is available and would come cheap.

Gary Barnidge - TE   This was a 1000 yard 9 TD recieving TE in 2015.  Cleveland cut him rather tan pay him prior to the draft.  At 6'6' / 250 he is a load and would be insurance at TE should Hooper falter and bridge the gap while Saubert learns and focuses on special teams.

Edited by lostnmexico

1 hour ago, lostnmexico said:

The Falcoholic asked this question this morning citing the possibility of bringing in a LB, DT, or a S.  While I agree with them that all are possibilties, I still think due to age (Schaub was coached by some guy named Moses) and the availability of some guys on the market that QB is still a possibility.  Atlanta currently has an open Roster slot and an open PQ slot.  I believe after the Sambrialo trade that they would be reluctant to move draft picks.  They do however have an over abundance of defensive linemen to use as trade currency.

Here are my top choices:

Blaine Gabbert  -   Yeah.  I know I may get lit up for this one but lets face it, both Jacksonville and San Francisco were less than ideal situations. 6'4' / 235 Still just 27 and I have always liked the arm if not the decisión making.  His best year was his first in SanFrancisco.  Playing in only 8 games, Gabbert put up 2039 yards and 10 TDs versus 7 picks.  Not world beating numbers but if you remember who they had a reciever during that time, he might have lookied like Moses in the wilderness to the 49er faithful.  I know this might no be a popular pick but a younger back up that Schaub with starting experience and what I still believe to be upside with better talent and proper coaching would be my choice.  He is available and would come cheap.

Gary Barnidge - TE   This was a 1000 yard 9 TD recieving TE in 2015.  Cleveland cut him rather tan pay him prior to the draft.  At 6'6' / 250 he is a load and would be insurance at TE should Hooper falter and bridge the gap while Saubert learns and focuses on special teams.

Did Gabbert get cut by the Cardinals? Last I read was that Arians liked him and thought he could be Palmer's replacement in the future. I actually think he'd be a good back up in Atlanta, especially for the experience he already has, and he could improve by being around guys like Ryan and Schaub.

I also like the idea of Barnidge.

I think when you consider that Shelby and Upshaw will play inside a lot (they'll be tackles in nickel), we're fine at DT.

I hope we get another offensive lineman.  Preferably a vet pickup, but at least someone who can play.  We're thin at o-line.  That's the position group that worries me the most as I sit here today.

5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I think when you consider that Shelby and Upshaw will play inside a lot (they'll be tackles in nickel), we're fine at DT.

I hope we get another offensive lineman.  Preferably a vet pickup, but at least someone who can play.  We're thin at o-line.  That's the position group that worries me the most as I sit here today.

Why do I keep forgetting that we have Upshaw?  I need to get my **** together.

Tim Lelito is the best OL that I have seen hit the wire and he also is a possibility.

Arians comments on Gabbert were percieved by most of what I have read to be part of an effort to get something in trade for Gabbert as he was reportedly being shopped around the league.  Hopefully we will see what develops and we can pick up a veteran for a title run.  Who knows?  Maybe, we can add all three as I still think we can get Hill through waivers and on the PS.