Long Live Dontari Poe?

FalconAge

What impact does Hageman's release have on the potential long-term future of Dontari Poe with the Falcons?

Do you think Quinn would potentially go into 2018 with a 3- tech on his last year and draft picks as his only true dts (non-conversion project)?

Poe wanted 10 per coming off of a lackluster couple of years in a system that limited his playmaking potential. He is now primed to make splash plays as an attack-minded defender, increasing his value to the league.

Are we in a position to keep him, given we need to take care of Ryan and Matthews as well?

22 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Naw .. Grady will enter that elite group... He will get paid 

Also poe was offered a 5 yea 60 mil deal by the colts ... Reported by josina Anderson

He took less to bet on hisself to produce in a stat friendly scheme.

I see this as a one year deal

You would have to be insane to give Poe 5yrs and $60mm.   I would like to re-sign  him but if that is the contract, better be less than $25mm guaranteed - years you would want to be able to get out of that deal after two years if Poes goes downhill - between back issues and weight and/or possible decline in play - the contract is more likely than not to be a bad one in on the back end.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

You would have to be insane to give Poe 5yrs and $60mm.   I would like to re-sign  him but if that is the contract, better be less than $25mm guaranteed - years you would want to be able to get out of that deal after two years if Poes goes downhill - between back issues and weight and/or possible decline in play - the contract is more likely than not to be a bad one in on the back end.

He betting on himself to get even more money.... Let him have a 5 sack seson and stout ve the run.. Some team will pay him more

1 hour ago, bossFALCON™ said:

Our best bet with poe is to franchise him and then draft his replacement in this draft.

gotta let him walk and take that 3rd rounder .... We just have to many young players who will need contracts ... We are hitting the point where we have to let some talent walk

6 hours ago, atljbo said:

Naw .. Grady will enter that elite group... He will get paid 

Also poe was offered a 5 yea 60 mil deal by the colts ... Reported by josina Anderson

He took less to bet on hisself to produce in a stat friendly scheme.

I see this as a one year deal

If he turned down 5 year 60 million dollar with the Colts and took a 1 year 8 Million dollar deal with the Falcons then I would think that the guaranteed money wasnt as high as he wanted or it was very heavy on incentives.

It would be interesting to see the structure of the contract they offered.

22 minutes ago, atljbo said:

He betting on himself to get even more money.... Let him have a 5 sack seson and stout ve the run.. Some team will pay him more

I just think Dtackle is a hard position to invest a lot of money in given our roster - if Jarrett emerges the way most of us believe he will,  we can only pay one premium money and we will invest in Jarrett over Poe.  Beasley, Takk, Debo, Keanu will all be MUST re-signs and Matt is about to make $30mm/yr.   I know not everyone gets paid the same year and I know cap can be manipulated but you cannot keep everyone and I believe Poe will likely be a guy we pass on unless he turns into Ndamakung Suh in his best years- and I don't think Poe is gonna be that good.

13 minutes ago, atljbo said:

gotta let him walk and take that 3rd rounder .... We just have to many young players who will need contracts ... We are hitting the point where we have to let some talent walk

That's the only negative about having two stellar draft classes back to back. Ryan, Grady, Beasley eventually, Jones and Neal will all break the bank. We still have to pay turbo too. He and Robinson took heat off julio when it came to stretching the field. 

13 minutes ago, atljbo said:

That's the only negative about having two stellar draft classes back to back. Ryan, Grady, Beasley eventually, Jones and Neal will all break the bank. We still have to pay turbo too. He and Robinson took heat off julio when it came to stretching the field. 

3 minutes ago, bossFALCON™ said:

I am not convinced we will re-sign Taylor Gabriel.

Just now, FentayeJones said:

Me either.

While Gabriel has great speed and talent,  I believe it's not a talent you overpay to maintain as he could be replaced -not saying the replacement would be as good asTurbo - but we just need someone who is quick and can make 1-2 plays per game - say 75% as good as Gabriel.

44 minutes ago, bossFALCON™ said:

yea i think turbo is gone next season... we just dont have the money

2 hours ago, atljbo said:

Yeah falcons get  one good season out of Poe, and then an extra 3rd rounder the year after that. Don't see him playing here for what the falcons can afford to pay him.Think there's a chance he's one of those midnight-of-the-first-day-of-FA-insane-amount-of-money-signings.

Next year, think the first 3 picks will be some combo of DT, OL, and C.

28 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I'm convinced that turbo will take a little less to stay here. He loves ATL.

He may love Atlanta, but this will be his only chance to get a big payday. I'm betting the Falcons will allow him to test the waters of free agency and see if they want to match the contract, my guess is no, they won't.