Falcon cuts and philosophy

g-dawg

Every year fans and TATF get upset when their favorite pet rookie UDFAs get cut and some stodgy boring vet is kept.

For example, let's look at the WR position group.  While both Reggie Davis and Marvin Hall look to have some upside, they both were cut.  Many on here wanted Nick Williams cut because he is somewhat older and kind of boring.

We had a thread where people were arguing for Reggie Davis over Nick.   I tried to make the point then that when you are the #6 WR, you better have super good hands and be extremely versatile with special teams.  Falcons already have their designated PR/KR in Andre Roberts so the return ability for Reggie Davis was not going to win the day.

Falcons are a veteran team now and the bottom half of the roster is being filled with role players who know their roles and can execute them consistently.   Another example is Chris Odom/J'terius Jones - hopefully we can get these guys on practice squad for future but there just was no room.   

I also said there is probably something in place where "tie" on last 3-4 spots is mostly weighted on special teams ability.  Keith Armstrong probably gets his say on the last 2-3 picks - at least consulted.  Draft picks also get some priority.

42 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Every year fans and TATF get upset when their favorite pet rookie UDFAs get cut and some stodgy boring vet is kept.

For example, let's look at the WR position group.  While both Reggie Davis and Marvin Hall look to have some upside, they both were cut.  Many on here wanted Nick Williams cut because he is somewhat older and kind of boring.

We had a thread where people were arguing for Reggie Davis over Nick.   I tried to make the point then that when you are the #6 WR, you better have super good hands and be extremely versatile with special teams.  Falcons already have their designated PR/KR in Andre Roberts so the return ability for Reggie Davis was not going to win the day.

Falcons are a veteran team now and the bottom half of the roster is being filled with role players who know their roles and can execute them consistently.   Another example is Chris Odom/J'terius Jones - hopefully we can get these guys on practice squad for future but there just was no room.   

I also said there is probably something in place where "tie" on last 3-4 spots is mostly weighted on special teams ability.  Keith Armstrong probably gets his say on the last 2-3 picks - at least consulted.  Draft picks also get some priority.

What's so veteran about the underperforming rookie TE? I'm guessing the point is that they saw potential? Maybe the same as they saw in the other guys being cut. Marvin Hall was cut after dropping that TD. Nick Williams is just the first name that comes to mind for most of them. He has been solid though. No one can really explain why Davis was cut, unless he's being sent to the PS.

4 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

What's so veteran about the underperforming rookie TE? I'm guessing the point is that they saw potential? Maybe the same as they saw in the other guys being cut. Marvin Hall was cut after dropping that TD. Nick Williams is just the first name that comes to mind for most of them. He has been solid though. No one can really explain why Davis was cut, unless he's being sent to the PS.

For the TE position the argument was presented that draft picks do need some priority. You do look a lot better once you feel comfortable in the system. So we will see.

Good thoughts on the issue G-Dawg. This team is in win now mode.  The excitement and potential of some of these young guys can't be doubted, but unfortunately, this team needs consistency on special teams and reliability to sub in when needed with the starters.  A player who flashes is certainly valuable, but a player who is reliable and familiar with the system is more the type that may be needed mid season if someone goes down.  We are building for today, not tomorrow right now, as our expectations are Lombardi or bust.

I hope these young guys make the practice squad and learn for the year.  Maybe at some point in the season they are brought in, and next training camp they can get another shot.  But I would rather have a WR who can cover a punt and make the non-flashy catch then someone still learning the system who might run the wrong route but occasionally break one off.  

9 minutes ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

Good thoughts on the issue G-Dawg. This team is in win now mode.  The excitement and potential of some of these young guys can't be doubted, but unfortunately, this team needs consistency on special teams and reliability to sub in when needed with the starters.  A player who flashes is certainly valuable, but a player who is reliable and familiar with the system is more the type that may be needed mid season if someone goes down.  We are building for today, not tomorrow right now, as our expectations are Lombardi or bust.

I hope these young guys make the practice squad and learn for the year.  Maybe at some point in the season they are brought in, and next training camp they can get another shot.  But I would rather have a WR who can cover a punt and make the non-flashy catch then someone still learning the system who might run the wrong route but occasionally break one off.  

We are also building for TOMORROW at the same time. 

1 minute ago, TexasFalcon4Life said:

We are also building for TOMORROW at the same time. 

I didn't mean to imply we aren't, but I think the theme is pretty clear when it comes to the last few guys on the roster: reliability, versatility and familiarity >>> potential and future.

There is a ton of young talent on the roster that will hopefully ball out for the Falcons in the years to come.  

56 minutes ago, TexasFalcon4Life said:

Did any of you naysayers really think Saubert, coming from a FCS school, was going to light it up? Everyone knew he was raw and needed time to develop. DQ and co. Saw something special and that's why he's still here.

I member when josh Perkins was thought to be a great tight end last year

Every... single... year... the MB falls in love with some player based on pre-season and freak out when the team releases them a call the entire FO stupid idiots.  Often the players never even go on to play a meaningful snap in the NFL.  

But I'm sure Bear Woods is selling some mean insurance right now.

I get this and understand the need for continuity on a playoff team but I also get that some guys (who I do not need to name) get a free pass even though they have done nothing to warrant making the team in Preseason.  Yes, I know it is still preseason and practice but what does that say for the BEST MAN UP BEST MAN PLAYS mantra?  Sharod Neasman is gonna be a player and was developed.  I hope we bring in a few of the big corners who were cut for our PS and develop them.  I am over it.  Good luck to Mr. Odum in Green Bay.  Good Luck to Reggie in Cleveland.  I will not however be playing Pink Floyd for Reed and Roberts because I definitely wish someone else was here!

People need to calm down. I didn't see anything out of Hill either. I also think Reggie has more future upside than Nick. But there's also this reality that people seem to ignore.

Hill carried the ball 26 times in Preseason games. The coaches must have seen over a thousand reps from him in practice. The same goes for all of these guys. 

I have no doubt Quinn is keeping the best guys that they've evaluated. And their evaluation is based on thousands of reps through camp, practices, etc... The rest of us are going off of a handful of snaps we get to see in a preseason game, and actually believe you know better than our coaching staff.

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

We had a thread where people were arguing for Reggie Davis over Nick.   I tried to make the point then that when you are the #6 WR, you better have super good hands and be extremely versatile with special teams.

But he's inactive every game anyways, why should special teams matter??

Who replaces Gabriel in the event of injury or him walking next year?

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Thank you for explaining this to everyone who is currently standing in the edge of the building ready to jump ship on Quinn 

Every year there is the horrible move by the coaching staff according to some of our fans.   Moves that destroy us and make us weaker.    I think it was Mckissic last year.   This year, it's Odom and Davis.

Bottom line - those guys may go on to have great careers somewhere.   For their sake - I hope they do, with their only bad games ever coming against Atlanta.    I think those coaches, while not perfect, have the best inside information to building the team we need to contend.

They won't always be right - but it seems to me that this coaching staff is building a pretty ****ed good team - and they deserve the benefit of the doubt when making these decisions. 

23 hours ago, Tandy said:

Every year there is the horrible move by the coaching staff according to some of our fans.   Moves that destroy us and make us weaker.    I think it was Mckissic last year.   This year, it's Odom and Davis.

Bottom line - those guys may go on to have great careers somewhere.   For their sake - I hope they do, with their only bad games ever coming against Atlanta.    I think those coaches, while not perfect, have the best inside information to building the team we need to contend.

They won't always be right - but it seems to me that this coaching staff is building a pretty ****ed good team - and they deserve the benefit of the doubt when making these decisions. 

I think a lot of mistrust is centered around the Smitty era & how he would doggedly stick with mediocre-at-best players just because they were vets. Because of this, the fans started to say, "Can't we upgrade X player at Y position with Z player from the preseason?" And then it evolved and just never went away. 

1 hour ago, OC said:

I think a lot of mistrust is centered around the Smitty era & how he would doggedly stick with mediocre-at-best players just because they were vets. Because of this, the fans started to say, "Can't we upgrade X player at Y position with Z player from the preseason?" And then it evolved and just never went away. 

Nah, that's been going on for 55 years of drafting - just different mediums.     This coaching staff, however, has done more in a shorter time period than any other not named Dan Reeves.   Honestly, he's done more than any - and maybe deserves just a little slack until he shows otherwise.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:10 AM, g-dawg said:

We stashed Hall on the PS and would have obviously stashed Reggie on the PS instead, but he was claimed instantly. Williams was kept ONLY bc he isn't PS eligible and has some familiarity in the scheme. We can cut Williams at any point and activate Hall or Burton. I expect Williams to be cut in favor of a deep threat once they become familiar with the scheme. Williams barely made the team last year. Was cut and then resigned later. Don't be surprised when he is cut later.

On 9/3/2017 at 1:26 PM, Brewcrew said:

Every... single... year... the MB falls in love with some player based on pre-season and freak out when the team releases them a call the entire FO stupid idiots.  Often the players never even go on to play a meaningful snap in the NFL.  

But I'm sure Bear Woods is selling some mean insurance right now.

Bear Woods has been playing CFL football since leaving the Falcons and has had a pretty good career.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsONRGjSZM2WokpAxTf4O