How do you feel about our LB corps?

ramonezy

I'm not going to focus on individuals because each player selected, based on merit,  deserved a spot on our roster. 

But looking at the unit as a whole I feel a bit iffy with no solid veteran presence on the field. No knock on Duke but I would feel much better if we scooped up a vet to play weakside LB and Duke get around 20 snaps a game to begin with. Talent and potential doesn't always replace experience and in my opinion, we're too green at this position.

How do you all feel about the LB corps? Do you see any cuts that may be worthy of a look? 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, ramonezy said:

I'm not going to focus on individuals because each player selected, based on merit,  deserved a spot on our roster. 

But looking at the unit as a whole I feel a bit iffy with no solid veteran presence on the field. No knock on Duke but I would feel much better if we scooped up a vet to play weakside LB and Duke get around 20 snaps a game to begin with. Talent and potential doesn't always replace experience and in my opinion, we're too green at this position.

How do you all feel about the LB corps? Do you see any cuts that may be worthy of a look? 

Campbell, Vic, Debo, Ishmael, Reynolds are all veterans. 

11 minutes ago, ramonezy said:

I'm very excited about Jermaine Grace...don't want some washed up vet (ala Spoon) taking this kid's spot. 

9 minutes ago, ramonezy said:

I'm sorry but this philosophy seems to come from Mike Smith's book of craptastic coaching choices.

You don't play a guy just because he is a "vet", you play the better player regardless.

10 minutes ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

I'm sorry but this philosophy seems to come from Mike Smith's book of craptastic coaching choices.

You don't play a guy just because he is a "vet", you play the better player regardless.

I guess this is why Odom/ Davis/ hall...who obviously outplayed some vets...didn't make the squad?

you guys tickle me with your silly mantras of "craptastic Coaching choices"

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I guess this is why Odom/ Davis/ hall...who obviously outplayed some vets...didn't make the squad?

you guys tickle me with your silly mantras of "craptastic Coaching choices"

I don't understand this hype around Davis to be honest. Seems soft with questionable route running and hands. Hall on the other hand show more promise to me but he still seems a bit soft. Give these two some time to develop before we start trying to force these guys the ball across the middle and down the sideline. Williams on the other hand is a baller. We have a lot of good players in our front seven so Odom not making the 53 isn't a big deal to me as long as we can get him on the PS. 

11 minutes ago, quickzero said:

I don't understand this hype around Davis to be honest. Seems soft with questionable route running and hands. Hall on the other hand show more promise to me but he still seems a bit soft. Give these two some time to develop before we start trying to force these guys the ball across the middle and down the sideline. Williams on the other hand is a baller. We have a lot of good players in our front seven so Odom not making the 53 isn't a big deal to me as long as we can get him on the PS. 

I know, but that Wasn't my point to rocky. Call it hype or whatever, davis/hall/Odom played well in preseason, outplaying some of the vets who are on the team. Yet they were cut and Quinn Kept vets, which is same thing folks whined about smith doing. 

It's all a balancing act when you are playing to win. 

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Wasn't my point. Call it hype or whatever, davis/hall/Odom played well in preseason, outplaying some of the vets who are on the team. Yet they were cut and Quinn Kept vets, which is same thing folks whined about smith doing. 

It's all a balancing act when you are playing to win. 

Preseason is mostly for evaluating. Our coaches evaluated some guys they really like by giving them more playing time and seeing how they respond in certain situations. The vets pretty much did their thing the season before and in training camp so the coaches won't expose them as much as the young guys who probably won't play even if they had made the squad. Grace had a lot things fall his way this season and by the grace of God he's he with us, being developed and actually getting a chance to play now. 

4 minutes ago, quickzero said:

Preseason is mostly for evaluating. Our coaches evaluated some guys they really like by giving them more playing time and seeing how they respond in certain situations. The vets pretty much did their thing the season before and in training camp so the coaches won't expose them as much as the young guys who probably won't play even if they had made the squad. Grace had a lot things fall his way this season and by the grace of God he's he with us, being developed and actually getting a chance to play now. 

Williams not playing in that last pre season game should have been a tip off that contrary to what most fans thought, he was ahead of Hall and Davis. And to be honest - outside of speed, I didnt see a whole lot of separation between the three.

1 minute ago, FentayeJones said:

Williams not playing in that last pre season game should have been a tip off that contrary to what most fans thought, he was ahead of Hall and Davis. And to be honest - outside of speed, I didnt see a whole lot of separation between the three.

Right. They all could make plays for us but williams has experience catching passes and getting hit against NFL level starters. Hall and Davis will develop for us and actually might get chance to be on the roster this season if things go their way.

1 hour ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

Yeah, "veterans preference" was a part of Smittyball that really helped lead to the demise of Smittyball. Our young LB's will be among the league leaders in strips, forced fumbles and Pick 6's this season.

Lol it's funny how this  board can take a question and an opinion and stretch it to extremes. 

I said I would prefer a vet playing WLB and it was turned into an argument of playing someone JUST because of age... which I didn't suggest. So is it now the thought that Duke and Grace as rookies cannot be outplayed by a veteran? 

Let us allow the guys to see the field against legitimate starting quality players before we start to sip our own kool-aid and talk about things like "instincts". 

The only thing we can say is that we'll be fast... but if that is the case John Ross will be the best receiver of all time. 

Now watch the board turn this into me bashing and not believing in our LBs. 

16 minutes ago, ramonezy said:

Lol it's funny how this  board can take a question and an opinion and stretch it to extremes. 

I said I would prefer a vet playing WLB and it was turned into an argument of playing someone JUST because of age... which I didn't suggest. So is it now the thought that Duke and Grace as rookies cannot be outplayed by a veteran? 

Let us allow the guys to see the field against legitimate starting quality players before we start to sip our own kool-aid and talk about things like "instincts". 

The only thing we can say is that we'll be fast... but if that is the case John Ross will be the best receiver of all time. 

Now watch the board turn this into me bashing and not believing in our LBs. 

This is my thing. Duke is already going to see around 20-30 snaps a game as Campbell will still play WLB when Vic plays SLB. 

But a vet playing WLB doesn't mean they'll be good. You want Spoon or Wheeler back? We had both last year. It's statements like this that gets the response you got:

"But looking at the unit as a whole I feel a bit iffy with no solid veteran presence on the field. No knock on Duke but I would feel much better if we scooped up a vet to play weakside LB and Duke get around 20 snaps a game to begin with. Talent and potential doesn't always replace experience and in my opinion, we're too green at this position."

Looking at the unit as a whole, our starters are not green and were some of the best at their position last year. Assuming a starting group of Vic, Debo, and DeVondre, where is the need for a "vet presence" LB? Duke is already coming off the bench. Add in Ish, and Grace has a while before he sees the field if we've lost Reynolds. 

Personally, I think your opinion is off. Like somebody said, it wreaks of the old Smitty way of thinking. 

2 hours ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

Agree! I don't see anyone out there better than what we will put on the field this year. I truly believe our guys learned a lot from last year. “We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success. We often discover what will do, by finding out what will not do; and probably he who never made a mistake never made a discovery”