Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jlrfalcon

Practice Squad 2017

73 posts in this topic

The Falcons trimmed to the 53-man roster at the deadline on Saturday at 4PM and now from my what I understand can begin signing players to the practice squad on Sunday at 1PM after players have cleared waivers and been open to all teams.

Since the Falcons waited until the last second to announce their cuts Saturday, the players they cut are "exposed" to the open market for the absolute least amount of time.  This implies that they intend to sign some of the players they cut to the practice squad.

Up to 10 players can be signed to the practice squad.  One might question if the Falcons need that many players who cannot play in games while on the squad.  The rules also limit the Falcons from having more than 4 players with 2 years experience on the practice squad.  However, given the possibility of injuries or drafted players who do not pan out, these players could be valuable down the stretch.

So, assuming the Falcons choose from the players they cut last and that all are still available, who and how many would they cut?  I would suspect a 3rd QB will be needed as a safety measure.  Also, we had a lot of WR's around in preseason which suggests at least one of these will be included.  I also could see a couple of linemen making it.  A new K would also be insurance if Bryant shows old age this year.

Here are the cuts I show from Saturday:

QB: Alek Torgersen, QB Matt Simms (injured?), RB Kelvin Taylor, RB Jhurell Pressley, FB Tyler Renew, WR Anthony Dable, WR Josh Magee, WR Reggie Davis, WR Marvin Hall, WR Deante Burton, TE Joshua Perkins, OL Travis Averill, OL Larson Graham, OL Cornelius Edison, OT Andreas Knappe, OT D.J. Tialavea, OT Daniel Brunskill, DE A.J. Jefferson, DT Joe Vellano, DE J’Terius Jones, DE Chris Odom, DE Martin Ifedi, DT Taniela Tupou, LB Jack Lynn, LB Josh Keyes, CB Jarnor Jones, CB Akeem King, S Marcelis Branch, K Mike Meyer

Here is who I show we keep:

QB Alek Torgerson

WR Reggie Davis

WR Marvin Hall

TE Joshua Perkins

OL Cornelius Edison

OL D.J. Tialavea

DT Joe Vellano

DE Chris Odom

CB Jarnor Jones

K Mike Meyer

I wonder if Simms is fully healthy as he might be kept instead of Torgerson.  I also could see them picking Davis or Hall instead of both.  There may also be a special rule that allows the Falcons to keep OT Andreas Knappe around since he is an international player.

I have no idea who they will keep or sign from other teams.  I really liked what I saw in DE Odom and WR Davis.  Gosh I hope IF they sign another QB, it will not be either of the two just released.  We  know Simms is not eligible.

3 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

The Falcons trimmed to the 53-man roster at the deadline on Saturday at 4PM and now from my what I understand can begin signing players to the practice squad on Sunday at 1PM after players have cleared waivers and been open to all teams.

Since the Falcons waited until the last second to announce their cuts Saturday, the players they cut are "exposed" to the open market for the absolute least amount of time.  This implies that they intend to sign some of the players they cut to the practice squad.

Up to 10 players can be signed to the practice squad.  One might question if the Falcons need that many players who cannot play in games while on the squad.  The rules also limit the Falcons from having more than 4 players with 2 years experience on the practice squad.  However, given the possibility of injuries or drafted players who do not pan out, these players could be valuable down the stretch.

So, assuming the Falcons choose from the players they cut last and that all are still available, who and how many would they cut?  I would suspect a 3rd QB will be needed as a safety measure.  Also, we had a lot of WR's around in preseason which suggests at least one of these will be included.  I also could see a couple of linemen making it.  A new K would also be insurance if Bryant shows old age this year.

Here are the cuts I show from Saturday:

QB: Alek Torgersen, QB Matt Simms (injured?), RB Kelvin Taylor, RB Jhurell Pressley, FB Tyler Renew, WR Anthony Dable, WR Josh Magee, WR Reggie Davis, WR Marvin Hall, WR Deante Burton, TE Joshua Perkins, OL Travis Averill, OL Larson Graham, OL Cornelius Edison, OT Andreas Knappe, OT D.J. Tialavea, OT Daniel Brunskill, DE A.J. Jefferson, DT Joe Vellano, DE J’Terius Jones, DE Chris Odom, DE Martin Ifedi, DT Taniela Tupou, LB Jack Lynn, LB Josh Keyes, CB Jarnor Jones, CB Akeem King, S Marcelis Branch, K Mike Meyer

Here is who I show we keep:

QB Alek Torgerson

WR Reggie Davis

WR Marvin Hall

TE Joshua Perkins

OL Cornelius Edison

OL D.J. Tialavea

DT Joe Vellano

DE Chris Odom

CB Jarnor Jones

K Mike Meyer

I wonder if Simms is fully healthy as he might be kept instead of Torgerson.  I also could see them picking Davis or Hall instead of both.  There may also be a special rule that allows the Falcons to keep OT Andreas Knappe around since he is an international player.

I that Rugby player Grey not the designated international player still? I haven't heard anything about him but one would think that a Rugby superstar would make a good special teamer. But that's how I hope the PS forms. Odum may get picked up though

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers

My practice Squad prediction.

QB Alek Torgerson

WR Reggie Davis

WR Marvin Hall

TE Alex Gray

OT Andreas Knappe 

DE Chris Odom

OL D.J. Tialavea

S Marcelis Branch

WR Anthony Dable

DT Joe Vellano

FB Tyler Renew

here is my list

QB Alek Torgerson (or more likely a QB cut by someone else)

WR Reggie Davis

WR Marvin Hall

TE Joshua Perkins

DT Joe Vellano

DE Chris Odom

FS Marcelis Branch

DE/OLB J'terius Jones

OL Daniel Brunskill

OL Cornelius Edison / DJ Tialavea (if we saw something)

TE Alex Gray(extra space)

Hopefully this happens.  I like Johnson and he was mocked to Atlanta before the draft by many.  Got to better than Harlowe who was making transition from tackle!

Surprised we are not keeping Knappe in the PS. I like what i saw from him in the games and thought he could be an interesting developmental guy

32 minutes ago, lostnmexico said:

Hopefully this happens.  I like Johnson and he was mocked to Atlanta before the draft by many.  Got to better than Harlowe who was making transition from tackle!

Guess who else made the transition from tackle and is likely our starting RG this season... 

RandomFan likes this

7 minutes ago, spanish_falcon said:

Surprised we are not keeping Knappe in the PS. I like what i saw from him in the games and thought he could be an interesting developmental guy

You heard anything that stated we were not keeping Knappe?

I'm getting a little nervous seem like most fans and the FO are a little over-confident. It will be tough, other teams are making move s we may be littlr further along then them but we still have to keep this a top roster if we're going to get to the Super Bowl I hope we do get D. Johnson.