September 2017 UGA Recruiting Thread

Carter

New thread for the start of a new season. Go Dawgs!

Here's a visitor list for App State...

Visitors this weekend:
WR- Kearis Jackson (Rivals250 4* UGA Commit)
TE- John FitzPatrick (Rivals250 4* UGA Commit)
OL- Jamaree Salyer (Rivals100 5*)
OL- Warren Ericson (Rivals250 4* UGA Commit)
DL- Tramel Walthour (3* and ONE TO WATCH)
LB- Caleb Tannor (4* UGA Commit)
LB- Jaquez Jackson (3* Georgia Tech Commit)
LB- Caleb Johnson (3*)
DB- Christopher Smith (Rivals250 4* UGA Commit)

QB- Austin Kirksey (2019 3*)
RB- Tony Mathis Jr (2019)
WR- Jadon Haselwood (2019 Rivals100 5* UGA Commit)
WR- Dominick Blaylock (2019 Rivals100 4* UGA Commit)
OL- Keiondre Jones (2019 Rivals100 4*)
OL- Harry Miller (2019 Rivals100 4*)
OL- Jeremy James (2019 3*)
DL- Rashad Cheney (2019 Rivals250 4* UGA Commit)
LB- Malik Adams (2019)
DB- Jalyn Phillips (2019 3*)
DB- Jordan Huff (2019 3*)
DB- TreRon Collins (2019 3*)

RB- Kobe Pryor (2020)
RB- Jordan Simmons (2020) Brother of Tyler Simmons
DT- Jamil Burroughs (2020)
DE- Myles Murphy (2020)
DE/TE- JaQuari Wiggles (2020)
LB- Sergio Allen (2020)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing the redshirt certainly doesn't help, but despite bulldawg nation's excitement over Fromm, it's not like he exactly set the world on fire. If Fields is a competitor, there's still plenty of opportunity to come in and win the job at Georgia. Probably more so than at FSU actually.

All that said, I hope Fromm kills it for as long as he's the starter, if Easons out.

18 minutes ago, Carter said:

Fields has said he has no problem with a redshirt. He's looking for development, not starting asap.

True, but this is what I was thinking more about from a Dawgnation interview:

Q. Will a strong or a poor start by the Bulldogs matter to you? 

A. I’m not really looking at the wins and losses and how the team plays. My main thing is the quarterback position. That’s the position I play. So say if Jacob Eason gets hurt. Of course, now I don’t want him to get hurt. I don’t want that. He’s a great guy. A great guy. But for example, then in that situation maybe Jake Fromm goes in there and lights it up. Just tears it up. Well, for me then Georgia has kind of solidified their starter. I would have to take a good look at that. Now, I’m not afraid to compete. But I feel like if he has that experience then he would have that edge over me. But if Jacob Eason plays most of the whole season, then Jake Fromm doesn’t have that edge [in playing time] on me at all.

7 minutes ago, mike teevee said:

A. I’m not really looking at the wins and losses and how the team plays. My main thing is the quarterback position. That’s the position I play. So say if Jacob Eason gets hurt. Of course, now I don’t want him to get hurt. I don’t want that. He’s a great guy. A great guy. But for example, then in that situation maybe Jake Fromm goes in there and lights it up. Just tears it up. Well, for me then Georgia has kind of solidified their starter. I would have to take a good look at that. Now, I’m not afraid to compete. But I feel like if he has that experience then he would have that edge over me. But if Jacob Eason plays most of the whole season, then Jake Fromm doesn’t have that edge [in playing time] on me at all.

He's a smart kid. At this point he can redshirt and have at least 2 years that are all his.

16 hours ago, mike teevee said:

I wouldn't say Fromm "tore it up." He looked good, but not spectacular.

7 hours ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

I wouldn't say Fromm "tore it up." He looked good, but not spectacular.

He did pretty well considering he wasn't part of the game plan, knew only half the playbook, and with no practice with the #1's.  

Edited by Ga_spider

28 minutes ago, Ga_spider said:

He did pretty well considering he wasn't part of the game plan, new only half the playbook, and with no practice with the #1's.  

Yeah... I'm not discounting the performance. I'm merely saying that if Fields is a generational QB, he should not be discouraged by the prospect of competing with Fromm.

2 hours ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

Yeah... I'm not discounting the performance. I'm merely saying that if Fields is a generational QB, he should not be discouraged by the prospect of competing with Fromm.

I agree. I think it may even help us that we are not red-shirting Fromm this season. That gives a two year gap between Fields and Fromm potentially. 

On 9/2/2017 at 11:57 PM, mike teevee said:

Weird.  I thought Eason getting hurt and Fromm playing and playing well actually would help UGA's recruitment of Fields for the following reasons:

1)  Fromm probably loses possibility of redshirt year.

2) If Eason out extended period of time and Fromm locks down the job,  I don't see Eason sticking around.

Who knows? But if those things happened and Fields would come in - similar situation to Fromm.   Of course we probably would need to be able to redshirt Fields in that scenario.

Eason loves UGA and Athens. The only way I could see him transferring would be if the coaches told him he's not losing his job to injury, but the team plays very well with Fromm and the coaches decide not to mess up the chemistry... then Eason might go to Washington with his parents blessing.

I think the team will play well with Fromm but probably not so well enough as to ice out Eason.

I really don't think it's a major factor, especially since FSU is now in the situation they're in. I would be hammering how weak that FSU OL has been and continues to be. Fields obviously wants to go to UGA if you follow the visits. FSU doesn't even look like a better business decision at this point.