Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole World

Ty Sambrailo oh so similar to Sam Baker

23 posts in this topic

Not necessarily in their play style, but how both were injured early in their pro career. We all know when Baker was not injured he was above average, but when he was injured he was horrible. Lets just hope Sambrailo is fully healthy and is ready if needed.

Fifteen players to watch at Broncos training camp - 6. Ty Sambrailo

Posted Jul 21, 2017

All you have to do is look at Ty Sambrailoicon-article-link.gif 's career arc to see just how rapidly the landscape changes for a young NFL player.

At this time two years ago, he appeared to be the clear-cut future option at left tackle, thrust into the starting lineup after Pro Bowler Ryan Clady tore his anterior cruciate ligament during an OTA session.

Now, as he faces the third training camp that is so often the crucial juncture for a young NFL player, he finds himself locked in a battle with first-round pick Garett Bollesicon-article-link.gif for the left tackle job. Sambrailo and Bolles split first-team repetitions during the final week of minicamp, and could have a similar division of duties once training camp begins.

Nevertheless, an opportunity is still something of value for Sambrailo, given what he has endured since he opened the 2015 season as a rookie starter.

That stint lasted just three games before he tore his labrum in Detroit. The injury sent him down a frustrating path, through several months spent rehabilitating from the injury, a position change and a training-camp elbow injury last summer that cost him a chance to compete for a starting job.

The frustrations peaked during brief, frustrating appearances at right tackle last season in which he allowed multiple sacks -- with most of his work coming against a pair of recent Pro Bowlers, Atlanta's Vic Beasley Jr. and Kansas City's Justin Houston.

Given that Sambrailo was still working from behind without the benefit of a full offseason in the weight room, he was working at a decided disadvantage last year, and it showed on the field.

Now Sambrailo is the healthiest and strongest he has been at any point since his first training camp, which gives him a chance in his battle with Bolles.

“He’s looked athletic this offseason," Head Coach Vance Joseph said during OTAs. "He’s getting his strength back ... He’s coming along great.”

Bolles has the first-round pedigree, and wasn't drafted to ride the bench. But Sambrailo was a high draft pick, too, and if he can avoid the injuries that have plagued him to this point, he could finally show the athletic potential that the Broncos liked so much when they drafted him out of Colorado State.

i like the trade. Everything seems to suggest that his potential was blanketed by injury. His preseason grades this preseason have been exceptional, a totally different tune from last year. If he stays healthy, we may have a starting tackle at backup. "Healthy" is key though

Cole World and Tim Mazetti like this

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah, what is NOT similiar is Sam Baker was our starting LT and he got re-signed for boatloads of cash.  Ty Sambrailo is on rookie deal and is a backup.

And that's why I'm OK with the addition. He has the potential to be above average if he stays healthy and needed to play.

g-dawg likes this

3 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Yes a healthy one.

well he is healthy now and having a good pre-season - that is all we can go on.

if he flames out, then we lost a 5th round pick - which is not nothing.   Having said that, clearly the Falcons needed the insurance policy of an, at least average NFL backup offensive tackle and Ty should be able to hopefully handle that role - clearly the answer was not on our roster - and if Jake/Schraeder went down,  Falcons season would be in jeopardy at such a crucial position as offensive tackle.

5 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Yea TD seems to have really put an emphasis on the Oline. We picked up 2 very solid pieces for the oline. God forbid they both have to play at the same time but I feel comfortable with them if needed in spot duty or for a game or 2. We got a great mix of experienxe and youth on the line 

that was why it was somewhat odd to me when we let Tom Compton leave and made no effort to re-sign him.

OK, Compton signed a 1 yr deal for $1.85mm

Sambrailo has two years left on his deal and making $785k this year and $1.23mm in 2018.

Looked it up!!!!    So for the price of a 5th round pick, we get a younger player with maybe more upside, save $1mm against the cap for 2017 and control the player for 2018 as well.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

that was why it was somewhat odd to me when we let Tom Compton leave and made no effort to re-sign him.

OK, Compton signed a 1 yr deal for $1.85mm

Sambrailo has two years left on his deal and making $785k this year and $1.23mm in 2018.

Looked it up!!!!    So for the price of a 5th round pick, we get a younger player with maybe more upside, save $1mm against the cap for 2017 and control the player for 2018 as well.

Yea TD is getting pretty crafty The more and more he gets grey hair. 

Cole World and Godzilla1985 like this

24 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Yea TD is getting pretty crafty The more and more he gets grey hair. 

Meh.....we paid retail price and I doubt TD singled out Sambrailo.  Probably a good move overall but not sure TD is the reason.

1 hour ago, likeriver said:

i like the trade. Everything seems to suggest that his potential was blanketed by injury. His preseason grades this preseason have been exceptional, a totally different tune from last year. If he stays healthy, we may have a starting tackle at backup. "Healthy" is key though

Will see how healthy hes after he faces reps from Takk & Beasley 

likeriver likes this

2 hours ago, Cole World said:

Not necessarily in their play style, but how both were injured early in their pro career. We all know when Baker was not injured he was above average, but when he was injured he was horrible. Lets just hope Sambrailo is fully healthy and is ready if needed.

It's a fair comparison overall, but if you took both of them at their best/healthiest I'll still take Baker. 

Sambrailo is an athletic and versatile lineman.  On paper he's actually a perfect swing tackle.  My hope is that the backup role will give him a chance to get his body right while still providing some decent depth. 

10 minutes ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

It's a fair comparison overall, but if you took both of them at their best/healthiest I'll still take Baker. 

Sambrailo is an athletic and versatile lineman.  On paper he's actually a perfect swing tackle.  My hope is that the backup role will give him a chance to get his body right while still providing some decent depth. 

I agree

17 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Will see how healthy hes after he faces reps from Takk & Beasley 

He needs to wear one of those "no contact" jerseys

27 minutes ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

He perfectly fits our zone blocking scheme....they released him cuz of misfit of their offensive play style rather than skill set.

I'd be happy if Sombrailo and Pasztor are able to get on the field in the fourth quarter and hold up while we plug away and salt games. Get Schraeder and Jake off the field while building chemistry and snatching souls out of the other team.

Cole World and likeriver like this

10 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah, what is NOT similiar is Sam Baker was our starting LT and he got re-signed for boatloads of cash.  Ty Sambrailo is on rookie deal and is a backup.

Beat me too it I see absolutely nothing with Sambrailo that looks anything like Sam.

g-dawg likes this

11 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Not just that. If I remember correctly Sam had both knee and back issues. Those are way more troublesome than a labrum tear and an elbow injury.

g-dawg likes this

I'm decently impresses with our oline depth given how little we've truly invested in it.

Pastzor- minimum deal

Sambrailo- 5th rounder

Garland- nothing 

Harlow- 5th

we've got a good combo of experience and youth in the first 3. And rookies like Harlow always have promise this early in the game

****, I can remember a day where those 4 would've comprised 4/5s of our starters lol

On 9/2/2017 at 10:26 AM, abcranford2 said:

I'd take Sam Baker as a back up

You talkin' Sackmaker Baker? The Human TurnStyle? Not for me. Too many bad memories.  I feel we got the best player available with Sambrailo.

23 hours ago, Atlfanstckndenver said: