Jump to content

Falcons game by game predictions.. ESPN


Dirtybird3
 Share

Recommended Posts

Atlanta Falcons could get off to 5-0 start before Super Bowl rematch

Facebook

Twitter

Facebook Messenger

Email

comment

4:45 AM MT

Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer

The Atlanta Falcons open their new $1.5 billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium with high expectations coming off of last year's Super Bowl appearance.

Reigning MVP Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and Devonta Freeman have the offense primed to put up record-setting numbers, while coach Dan Quinn's defense, led by NFL sacks leader Vic Beasley Jr., is faster and deeper than for any of Quinn's three seasons with the club.

More people play on ESPN than anywhere else. Join or create a league in the No. 1 Fantasy Football game! Sign up for free!

Will the Falcons avoid a Super Bowl hangover and clear the memories of that devastating 34-28 overtime loss to the New England Patriots from their heads? Only time will tell.

Here are game-by-game predictions for how the Falcons might fare in 2017:

Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 10, at Chicago Bears, 1 p.m. ET

The perfect cure for a Super Bowl hangover is facing a rebuilding team that finished 3-13 the year before. Ryan vs. Mike Glennon should be no match. Record: 1-0.

Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 17, vs. Green Bay Packers, 8:30 p.m. ET

The atmosphere should be electric for this game, the Falcons' first regular-season contest in Mercedes-Benz Stadium. It's Ryan vs. Aaron Rodgers in an NFC Championship Game rematch, and Ryan has won the last two matchups between the quarterbacks. Record: 2-0.

Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 24, at Detroit Lions, 1 p.m. ET

Ryan gets to see his offseason rec league basketball teammate, Lions QB Matthew Stafford, who just landed a big new contract. The Falcons and Ryan should be able to take advantage of what was the league's third-worst red-zone defense in 2016. Record: 3-0.

Week 4: Sunday, Oct. 1, vs. Buffalo Bills, 1 p.m. ET

The Bills might not be a pushover, but the Falcons should be just fine at home. The Bills ranked 29th against the run last season, so Freeman and Tevin Colemanmight both have explosive days. Buffalo sort of gave up on the season when it traded star receiver Sammy Watkins. Record: 4-0.

Week 5: Bye

Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 15, vs. Miami Dolphins, 1 p.m. ET

The Falcons' offensive line has to contain Cameron Wake and Ndamukong Suh and keep Ryan upright. Yes, Miami now has Jay Cutler at quarterback, but that simply should mean more interceptions for Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford and company. Record: 5-0.

There could be considerable hype when Matt Ryan and Tom Brady meet again for a Sunday night game on Oct. 22. Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 22, at New England Patriots, 8:30 p.m. ET

The much-anticipated Super Bowl LI rematch will be must-see TV. From the Falcons' perspective, they have to step on the gas on offense and run the ball if they have the lead late. But beating Tom Bradyat home is a tall task. Record: 5-1.

Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 29, at New York Jets, 1 p.m. ET

Although it's the second consecutive game on the road, the Falcons should have no issues against a Jets team that's been in disarray. The Jets might have the worst roster in the league. Record: 6-1.

Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 5, at Carolina Panthers, 1 p.m. ET

The Falcons frustrated Cam Newton and the Panthers last season, winning both games. Newton and the Panthers will be a little extra motivated to prove they can still compete for the division title. Record: 6-2.

Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 12, vs. Dallas Cowboys, 4:25 p.m. ET

Plenty of star power, with Ryan vs. Dak Prescott, Julio Jones vs. Dez Bryant, and Freeman vs. Ezekiel Elliott, provided Elliott's six-game suspension for violating the league's personal conduct policy isn't drawn out by a long appeal. The Cowboys have something to prove after failing to make this matchup happen in last year's NFC Championship Game. Record: 6-3.

Week 11: Monday, Nov. 20, at Seattle Seahawks, 8:30 p.m. ET

Maybe All-Pro wide receiver Jones will get his rematch against cornerback Richard Sherman, who got away with a hold in last year's Seahawks win in Seattle. Dan Quinn going back to Seattle, where he was the defensive coordinator, is always a storyline. Record: 7-3.

ESPN Stats & Information

Week 12: Sunday, Nov. 26, vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1 p.m. ET

Now the NFC South action really heats up as Jameis Winston, DeSean Jackson & Co. visit Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The Falcons won't lose to the Buccaneers at home for the third straight season. No way. Record: 8-3.

Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 3, vs. Minnesota Vikings, 1 p.m. ET

Looks like a Falcons win on paper, but there's always a game a team shouldn't lose but does. The Vikings' front seven is no joke. Record: 8-4.

Week 14: Thursday, Dec. 7, vs. New Orleans Saints, 8:30 p.m. ET

This game between bitter rivals could go either way, especially with Drew Breesstill capable of putting up big numbers. The Falcons and Saints were the top two scoring offenses in the league last season, but only the Falcons averaged more than 30 points per game. Record: 9-4.

Week 15: Monday, Dec. 18, at Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 8:30 p.m. ET

Dirk Koetter's Buccaneers are an improving team, and Winston is on the rise. At home they'll be tough to beat, especially if defensive tackle Gerald McCoy is on his game. Record: 9-5.

Week 16: Sunday, Dec. 24, at New Orleans Saints, 1 p.m. ET

Maybe the division title will be on the line. Maybe not. Whatever the case, Ryan and the Falcons will find a way to finish strong, just as coach Dan Quinn preaches all the time. Record: 10-5.

Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 31, vs. Carolina Panthers, 1 p.m. ET

Beasley and the Falcons ring in the New Year by putting Newton on his back and securing their second straight division title. It will happen as long as everyone stays healthy. Record: 11-5.

 

 

I don't see us losing to Dallas Carolina or the vikings.. I'd love to beat NE both times but if I had to choose let it be the sb. So 14-2 barring health of course and strong brotherhood with the new pieces and changes 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From my prior post in July - I agree with Vaughn on the 5-0 start and the final record.  However, I do not see us losing to the Cowboys (depleted defense, Sophomore jinx, at home, etc.) and really see our last 2 or so losses being because we have wrapped up the division and are not playing our full squad.

11-5

1-0 at Bears easiest or 2nd easiest game on schedule

2-0 Packers mainly because we are at home

3-0 at Lions hard to call (Worrilow's revenge?) but we should survive

4-0 Bills our stadium and weather

5-0 Dolphins coming off our bye and at home

5-1 at Patriots maybe a miracle but it is there and we have to lose our first somewhere

6-1 at Jets great easy game after the Pats

6-2 at Panthers we are beginning to miss home

7-2 Cowboys their secondary sucks now and we are back home

7-3 at Seahawks still bad scheduling (4 out of 5 weeks away and other side of country)

8-3 Buccaneers we are back home for awhile

9-3 Vikings they are improving but still not good enough to beat us at home

10-3 Saints they are already discussing Brees replacement and Peterson disappointment

10-4 at Buccaneers we are thinking more about the playoffs than rivalry

10-5 at Saints game is probably meaningless and we are away playing reserves

11-5 Panthers a little revenge for earlier in the year, Panthers playing for draft pick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From a matchup perspective, I think the Vikings are gonna be the toughest defense we play all year.  We will still win though because they still have an awful offensive line and Sam Bradford is their QB.

We will beat Dallas - no doubt in my mind.

We are not gonna lose to the Packers to open up the new stadium.

We are not gonna have any issues with the Bears, Jets, Bills and maybe Detroit and Miami.

Division games are always iffy - I always predict a split no matter how good or bad the teams are.

Seahawks and Patriots are gonna be tough road games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@DET, @NE, @SEA: anything better than 1-2 in these 3 games is GREAT.

GB, MIA, DAL, MIN: anything better than 2-2 in these 4 games is VERY GOOD. 

vs NFCS: anything better than 4-2 is dominant. 

@CHI, BUF, @NYJ: 2-1 would be disappointing, anything worse will be awful. 

Mapped like this, anything less than 10-6 would be a big letdown and anything better than 11-5 should be considered a d.amn fine season. 

The 3 road games mentioned at the top will be the difference between 10-6 and 13-3. My guess is 11-5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

@DET, @NE, @SEA: anything better than 1-2 in these 3 games is GREAT.

GB, MIA, DAL, MIN: anything better than 2-2 in these 4 games is VERY GOOD. 

vs NFCS: anything better than 4-2 is dominant. 

@CHI, BUF, @NYJ: 2-1 would be disappointing, anything worse will be awful. 

Mapped like this, anything less than 10-6 would be a big letdown and anything better than 11-5 should be considered a d.amn fine season. 

The 3 road games mentioned at the top will be the difference between 10-6 and 13-3. My guess is 11-5.

There is no reason this team should lose any home games IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jlrfalcon said:

From my prior post in July - I agree with Vaughn on the 5-0 start and the final record.  However, I do not see us losing to the Cowboys (depleted defense, Sophomore jinx, at home, etc.) and really see our last 2 or so losses being because we have wrapped up the division and are not playing our full squad.

11-5

1-0 at Bears easiest or 2nd easiest game on schedule

2-0 Packers mainly because we are at home

3-0 at Lions hard to call (Worrilow's revenge?) but we should survive

4-0 Bills our stadium and weather

5-0 Dolphins coming off our bye and at home

5-1 at Patriots maybe a miracle but it is there and we have to lose our first somewhere

6-1 at Jets great easy game after the Pats

6-2 at Panthers we are beginning to miss home

7-2 Cowboys their secondary sucks now and we are back home

7-3 at Seahawks still bad scheduling (4 out of 5 weeks away and other side of country)

8-3 Buccaneers we are back home for awhile

9-3 Vikings they are improving but still not good enough to beat us at home

10-3 Saints they are already discussing Brees replacement and Peterson disappointment

10-4 at Buccaneers we are thinking more about the playoffs than rivalry

10-5 at Saints game is probably meaningless and we are away playing reserves

11-5 Panthers a little revenge for earlier in the year, Panthers playing for draft pick

Why sit starters vs Saints and play them vs Panthers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Why sit starters vs Saints and play them vs Panthers?

I did not say all of our starters would be playing against the Panthers.  However, the desire of the Panthers to lose the game for a lower draft pick combined with the possibility they are also probably playing another QB in the game would make it an easy win for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. at Chicago W 34-13 ( Freeman 2 TD's)

2. Green bay W 30-20 (Big day for Julio)

3. at Detroit W 24-17

4. Buffalo W 45-21 (Tevin Coleman 3 TD'S)

5. Miami W 31-16

6. at New England W 28-27( Sanu game winning TD)

7. at Jets W 31-10

8. at Carolina W 23-16

9. Dallas W 31-17

10. at Seattle L 20-26

11. Tampa bay W 14-9

12. Minnesota W 23-13

13. New Orleans W 36-22

14. at Tampa bay W 31-20

15. at New Orleans L 26-28

16. Carolina W 31-13

Record 14-2

Playoffs divisional round

vs Green bay W 34-17

NFCCG

vs Arizona  W 24-13

SB 52

vs New England W 30-20 

Super Bowl MVP Matt Ryan or Tevin Coleman

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

I did not say all of our starters would be playing against the Panthers.  However, the desire of the Panthers to lose the game for a lower draft pick combined with the possibility they are also probably playing another QB in the game would make it an easy win for us.

What are you even talking about??? It makes no sense to sit starters one game then play some the next game. And why would Cam not be playing ??

And no nfl athelete would want to lose.

Edited by Yo_Lover
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...