Campbell May Be A Player to Watch vs Arizona

Tim Mazetti

One Falcon to watch versus the Cardinals: De’Vondre Campbell

The gifted second-year linebacker is having a fun preseason.

by Dave Choate Aug 24, 2017, 6:00pm EDT
  • usa_today_10230277.0.jpg Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

When Saturday’s game against the Cardinals rolls around, likely giving us a longer look at the starters, there will be plenty of things worth watching. There’ll be that amazing offense, the rising defense, and the players frantically battling for jobs, as always.

There will also be De’Vondre Campbell, who is fast becoming a good enough reason to watch on his own.

Earlier this week you read about Campbell’s story, and since he was drafted, you’ve heard us say that with growth and development he could be a good starter at minimum. His preseason isn’t necessarily a bellwether of what’s to come, but it is showing his talent and ability to make big plays. In his limited opportunities thus far in August, he’s gotten an impressive interception and forced a fumble out of bounds, and despite a couple of hiccups looks drastically improved from his rookie reason already.

Unlike Deion Jones, who already looks like one of the best linebackers in the NFL, Campbell isn’t a speed demon. He’s plenty fast, but he’s slower than Jones and Duke Riley, a weakness he compensates for with his size, physicality, and overall nastiness. I don’t think he’s hit his ceiling yet, which means if Jones continues apace and Riley can grow into even a capable starter, the Falcons will have one of the best linebackers corps in the NFL once more.

With the Cardinals, you’ll want to watch Campbell because he’ll be getting more run, and because it’s a game against a solid offense, meaning it’ll likely be the stiffest test the defense has faced thus far. If Campbell can keep it up—and I expect he will—I’ll become even more bullish on his 2017 prospects.

Let’s be clear: De’Vondre Campbell will have a major role this year, so you’re not watching him to see if he can earn more playing time or claw past Duke Riley or any of that. You’re going to watch him because he’s rapidly becoming a joy to watch.

The thing I like most about Campbell is he's spoken the talk all offseason but is truly walking the walk now. I was iffy on him when we drafted him and then impressed when he played as a rookie but I'm truly excited for what Campbell will do this season. 

7 minutes ago, #1ATLFALCONSFAN said:

He's not slower than Deion or Duke. He's actually faster than Deion (laser time) and just as fast as Duke (4.58).

He also apparently ran competitively against Sammy Watkins in high school.

Sometimes guys with long legs/strides appear slower than more compact players.

Remember Michael Jenkins running down Roddy White down the left sideline, practically jogging lol?

7 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

Remember Michael Jenkins running down Roddy White down the left sideline, practically jogging lol?

I don't remember but I wouldn't be too surprised lol

I sense the gap between the defense and offense is closing. How do you not get better when practicing against Matt Ryan, Julio jones, devonta freeman, Austin hopper and co.? Man oh man we are gonna beat some teams up this year. 

Campbell was my favorite player we drafted last year before the season. (obviously Keanu and Debo had better seasons) Based on his measureables and limited film I saw I just really dug the potential there. I also wanted to see him used in pass rushing situations. Looks like we are getting that this year and I couldn't be more excited. I really think he's going to have a big year. I can't wait

1 hour ago, FalconAge said:

Ha! I remember that! He looked like he caught Roddy in 3 or 4 strides. Ran past him and started blocking.

"One of the best Lb corp in the league once again" 

It should say first time ever!  When could ATL ever claim to have one of the best LB corps in the league?  But I do believe with continued development our 3 LBs could be the top unit in the NFL.  Duke will need to grow up quick, but Debo and Campbell will likely hide a lot of his rookie mistakes.

11 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

I have too many favorite players and too many people I wanna watch. I can't take this.

It's an overload isn't it? Lol just compares to the past we have so much talent everywhere so it's tough to to pin point one or two guys but I got my hand ful I'm watching though..and yes I'm greedy like that lol..

9 hours ago, Xero said:

I sense the gap between the defense and offense is closing. How do you not get better when practicing against Matt Ryan, Julio jones, devonta freeman, Austin hopper and co.? Man oh man we are gonna beat some teams up this year. 

You have no choice but to get better everyday..iron sharpens iron

10 hours ago, vel said:

The thing I like most about Campbell is he's spoken the talk all offseason but is truly walking the walk now. I was iffy on him when we drafted him and then impressed when he played as a rookie but I'm truly excited for what Campbell will do this season. 

Like also like how candid he's been from the Patriots to his life..gonna be exciting to watch the maturation process with Campbell this year..he looks like the game is slowing down for him and I think the position switch is doing wonders for him too..I can't wait to see what all three of our backers do this year