Good year for the Hawks to tank?

tl;dr

Regardless of what happens, I'll have a hard time pulling against the Hawks next year even if it means possibly having a top 5 pick.

But if there was ever a year to tank, it's next year with the amount of talent that is coming into the league. Porter Jr, Bagley, Ayton, Bamba, and Doncic to name a few. With a potential top 5 pick upcoming, we could land one of those guys, and then possibly package our other 2 picks and a player to move up again into the lottery. I think we would benefit a good bit if we had a bad enough year to get a top 5 pick.

I don't want the Hawks to suck, but there is a reason most people are saying the Hawks are going to be one of the worst teams in the league. I hope I'm wrong about that, but a terrible year may not be the worst thing in the world. 

I can see it being a down year but I don't think they will be the worst. Coach Bud will have these guys ready to compete but I can see being included in the lottery sweepstakes to capture that potential young superstar as a possible option. I like the young pieces now and it should be exciting to see them play.

12 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

The tanking Hawks could get well soon: The 2018 draft looks loaded

By Mark Bradley
August 23, 2017 | Filed in: ajc-sports.ajc, Atlanta Hawks / NBA

http://markbradley.blog.myajc.com/2017/08/23/the-tanking-hawks-could-get-well-soon-the-2018-draft-looks-loaded/

He is right. The 2018 draft is absolutely stacked. I would love to have 2 lottery picks next year

6 hours ago, jayu70 said:

I will never root for the Hawks to lose but I want to see the young guys (Dennis, Bembry, Prince and Collins)  play a lot of minutes and I'd be ok with a high lottery pick.

I want to see the young guys play a lot. We aren't going anywhere this year, so let's see the young guys get the experience. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2017 at 10:44 PM, tl;dr said:

Regardless of what happens, I'll have a hard time pulling against the Hawks next year even if it means possibly having a top 5 pick.

But if there was ever a year to tank, it's next year with the amount of talent that is coming into the league. Porter Jr, Bagley, Ayton, Bamba, and Doncic to name a few. With a potential top 5 pick upcoming, we could land one of those guys, and then possibly package our other 2 picks and a player to move up again into the lottery. I think we would benefit a good bit if we had a bad enough year to get a top 5 pick.

I don't want the Hawks to suck, but there is a reason most people are saying the Hawks are going to be one of the worst teams in the league. I hope I'm wrong about that, but a terrible year may not be the worst thing in the world. 

The reason is Paul Millsap is gone. 

The wildcard is the youth movement. How will coach Bud put it all together? No players other than Shroder and Baze have tenure, but I doubt Bud will be playing favorites this time around. There will be a heavy rotation. Those who play defense the best will see extended minutes, but we're probably going 10 or 11 deep on most nights.

11 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

The reason is Paul Millsap is gone. 

The wildcard is the youth movement. How will coach Bud put it all together? No players other than Shroder and Baze have tenure, but I doubt Bud will be playing favorites this time around. There will be a heavy rotation. Those who play defense the best will see extended minutes, but we're probably going 10 or 11 deep on most nights.

If that is what "tanking" is, then I'm all for it. With potentially three first round picks, we HAVE to get one of the top 5 players in this class. 

We won't have to intentionally tank to be one of the worst teams this year, our talent is in the bottom-5 of the league.  Only way we don't draft top-5 is Coach Bud.  He's a really good coach and will maximize what he has on the roster.  

Although, I hate losing, it had to be done.  I'm still looking forward to seeing Schroder, Prince, and Collins develop this year.  If anything, we'll lose a lot of games this year, but we'll be exciting to watch while doing it.