Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zaphod

Why are some of y'all so mad at Kap?

1,823 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, notthatcool said:

I'm all for the police doing their jobs better and doing it equitable between the rich and the poor.  But if we were really concerned with the minorities and poor we would be also be taking a closer look at the medical malpractice that they endure.  WAY more minorities and poor are dying because of doctors who blow them off or give them sub standard medical attention versus the way they are treated by police.  And I'm not talking about health insurance.  I'm talking blatant malpractice.  

I agree. But as I have stated multiple times in this thread, issues with race may be exacerbated by poor policing but they are not the main issue. If there was a system of accountability, then racist cops would not thrive in the ranks because their activities would receive attention and they'd be shipped out our charged. The message must focus more on accountability then race because we will never be a country that treats all citizens equally.

With that said, there are blatant disparities in the medical, educational, occupational and financial systems, just like they exist in the legal system. I've resigned myself to the knowledge that I'll be long dead before America is a country that believes in equal treatment, whether under law or because it is a core value. Right now, it's neither.

9 hours ago, The Great American said:

Police officer’s good deed gives man a new set of wheels

https://nypost.com/2017/07/06/police-officers-good-deed-gives-man-a-new-set-of-wheels/

A Florida police officer is being praised for helping a resident after he spotted the man riding a bike with only one functioning tire.

Jacksonville police officer Terrance Hightower was patrolling a neighborhood when he spotted the man riding along the street, the department wrote on Facebook Thursday morning. The man only had one tire in the front, with the rubber completely stripped away in the back.

Hightower went to the store and bought two new mountain bike tires for the man. He later showed up at the man’s home and surprised him with the gift.

Great story. But nobody is protesting against the vast majority of cops who do their jobs well. Pretty sure it would seem odd to most to suggest that nothing be done about a doctor who killed a patient after he sutured forceps into his abdomen since there are plenty of accounts of doctors who are professional and conduct themselves at the highest standards. But bad doctors have to face state review boards when something happens and if found to have done their jobs poorly, they lose their licenses.

The original point of this thread was not to smear police officers or the practice of policing. Just to have accountability for when the system fails. But you know that.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/18/cops-100-tip-for-pregnant-waitress-leaves-her-in-tears/

Cop’s $100 tip for pregnant waitress leaves her in tears

A South Jersey cop opened his heart — and his wallet — to a pregnant waitress whom he heard telling other diners about the upcoming birth of her first child — leaving her a $100 tip on his $8.75 check.

Courtney English, 23, who is almost eight months pregnant, was serving the lunch crowd at the Lamp Post Diner in Clementon, NJ, on Friday when the Voorhees Township officer sat sat down for a salad and a glass of water.  The officer — apparently a new dad himself — left her a note reading, “Enjoy your first. You will never forget it.”

English’s dad, Brian Cadigan, was so touched by the officer’s act of generosity that he took to Facebook to post a photo of the receipt and deliver a message of thanks.

“What a wonderful person to not only leave a VERY generous tip, but a lovely message, I don’t know you Mr Police Officer, but you made my little girl cry, and made her year,” he wrote about the member of Voorhees’ Finest, who has insisted on remaining anonymous.

“Thank you, I always had the utmost respect for Officers, but you went above and beyond not just an officer, but a beautiful human being. God Bless.”

Cadigan described the “amazing gesture” to The Post.

“It made her whole year. There’s a lot of bad stuff said about police and here’s one officer who went out of his way to make a generous offer just to say, ‘Hey, it’s your first and enjoy it,’” he said.

Toddler Gets Pulled Over By Cop

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cop-pulls-over-toddler-louisville

5be38cf5220000e603de330b.jpeg?ops=scalefit_600_noupscale

When officer Bill Mayo pulled over Jaxon Arbuckle last week, it wasn’t exactly the end of a hot pursuit.

Jaxon, a 2-year-old who lives in Louisville, Kentucky, had been playing in his toy car, when his mom, Ashley Crawford, decided to call in the cops, hailing an officer from a nearby fender-bender for a photo op.

“I thought, ‘How cute would it be if I got a picture of Jaxon pulled over?’” Crawford recalled to Yahoo. “I waited for [the officer] to finish up with his incident report and asked him if he wouldn’t mind turning the lights on and pulling Jaxon over.”

Sure enough, Jaxon dutifully pulled his red Little Tikes car over to the side of the road. Whereas any adult rues the day they’re pulled over, the toddler — despite having no license, registration or working lights — had a great time, his mom said.

Crawford told WHAS Jaxon very much enjoyed the interaction, and she has the photos to prove it. In one of the pictures, the toddler (pacifier in mouth) even gives the long arm of the law a high-five.

Officer Mayo deserves a huge thank you and I think these pictures prove that not all cops are like the ones you hear about in the news,” Crawford added to the station.

Police Officer Stops A Mass Shooting

https://www.policeone.com/quiet-warrior/articles/481787006-Quiet-Warrior-How-a-school-cop-stopped-a-would-be-mass-shooter/

When school resource officer Mark Dallas returned to Dixon High School on the first day of the new academic year, it was just a few months after a shooting during graduation practice had put him and the Illinois high school in the national spotlight.

When the students and faculty returned to Dixon High in August, there were no memorials, no candlelight vigils, no moments of silence. Because of Dallas’ rapid response to the sound of gunfire on May 16, 2018, those students and faculty were saved from tragedy.

A LONG HISTORY OF SERVICE

With over 20 years in law enforcement, Dallas has a long history of being both warrior and guardian. He’s served in a wide range of law enforcement roles, including tactical rifle marksman, range instructor and juvenile officer. He’s spent the majority of his career as a K-9 handler in Dixon, about 100 miles west of Chicago, where he grew up. He loved working with police dogs, but the nature of the job meant that he didn’t get to spend a lot of time at home with his son and daughter.

“I was away quite a bit,” Dallas said. “I missed a lot of things, a lot of opportunities to spend with the kids.”

While he was working with his second dog with the Dixon PD, he was given the opportunity to become an SRO at Dixon High School – the same school he himself had graduated from in 1987. In addition to giving him more time with his kids – both at home and at the school, where Dallas’ son was starting his freshman year – it was also the opportunity to work closely with other children. In fact, it wasn’t the first time he’d considered a career in a school environment: He originally wanted to be a history teacher.

“I was getting older, and the dog was getting older, so I was glad I got offered the SRO position,” Dallas said. “I actually got to spend a lot more time with my own kids.”

FROM THE STREET TO THE CLASSROOM

Going in, he wasn’t sure what to expect in the transition from street to classroom. Far from the “retired on duty” job that some cops unfairly perceive it to be, serving as an SRO is complex and requires playing numerous different roles with children and faculty. Dallas underestimated how challenging it would be.

“I was like, 'Wow, this is a harder job than I ever thought,'” he said. “It's more of the counseling side as opposed to the criminal law side.”

In addition to his responsibilities as a guardian to the school, Dallas puts on many hats during an average week – counselor, mentor, coach, teacher. In one day, he may handle a parent complaint, manage a criminal issue with a student, help teach a driver’s ed or health class, run lockers with a K-9 and coach one of the sports teams.

“I like building relationships with my kids, the students. They get mad when I call them ‘my kids’ because they think they're young adults, but they still act like kids,” Dallas said, laughing. “I like building that relationship so they know that not every cop is out to get them. In our town that's really helped. We've had an SRO in our school system since 2000, and it didn't take us long to learn that the program was working for the students.”

When he’s not at the school, he’s helping his colleagues at Dixon PD on the street.

“I'll help the patrol shift – they can sometimes get busy right after school lets out,” Dallas said. “But they do not want me to leave the school unless I have to.”

‘DAD WAS PISSED’

When Dallas heard the popping sounds near the gymnasium on that fateful day in May, he knew exactly what they were.

“I was praying it was a senior prank, some fireworks,” he said, “but I've been around firearms my whole life. I knew.”

It was a typical day for three-quarters of the students. But the seniors, who’d already finished their classes five days prior, were back on campus in the gym to practice their graduation ceremony. It was the class that Dallas felt the most connected to – he had started the SRO job at the same time they were starting as freshmen, and he’d watched them grow up before his eyes. His son was part of the graduating class. So were three of his colleagues’ children. His younger daughter and his wife had just left the school moments prior. This was personal.

Dallas immediately located the gunman, who was headed toward the gym the students were practicing in. As Dallas pursued him, the gunman turned around and fired multiple shots at him.

“Not one time did I ever think of taking cover or disengaging,” Dallas said. “I was in my plain clothes uniform. I wasn't wearing a vest or anything. I still pursued him. I didn't care. I was angry that it was happening in my school. I'm dad to 775 students, but the 182 students that were in that gymnasium, I'm really their dad. And dad was pissed.”

It was over quickly. Dallas returned fire and then took the wounded suspect into custody. No one else was hurt. He credits his training for his ability to prevail that day.

“It was training that popped in,” Dallas said. “I'm amazed by how fast the brain works with the things you're taught. I was running case law, everything through my head when I was chasing him. And then when he turned and shot, my brain switched from case law to marksmanship training.”

Many tears were shed in the hours and days following the shooting. Graduation day was particularly emotional.

“I went in there and – I got all my tears out before I went into the public arena – and gave each one of them a hug or a high five,” Dallas said. “And we all shared some tears, and then we enjoyed the rest of the day.”

Despite how prepared Dixon High School was for an active shooter, Dallas never thought it could happen there. It’s a lesson he wants all LEOs to take to heart.

“As much we’ve trained with our kids, I honest to God never ever thought it would happen. Not one iota,” Dallas said. “If you think it could never happen at your school, you're wrong.”

Mark Dallas celebrates his son’s graduation just days after the incident. (courtesy image) Mark Dallas and his son celebrate graduation just days after the incident. (courtesy image)

‘JUST DOING MY JOB’

In the months since the incident, Dallas has received an avalanche of praise and awards. Over the summer, as he took on various law enforcement tasks, he became somewhat of a celebrity, with many residents approaching him for a hug or to shake his hand.

“My guys – law enforcement – obviously we all like to joke around,” Dallas said. “The guys I work with would give me a hard time and want to take selfies with me and ask for my autograph, stuff like that, because the general public would do some of that in front of them. So it was humbling, I guess, and nice. But it also gave more ammo to the guys I work with!”

Despite the attention, he doesn’t consider himself a hero – he’s just thankful he was there to protect the kids of Dixon High.

“I'm a cop, and I was doing my job that day,” Dallas said. “I've been asked if I consider myself a hero quite a bit, and I always respond with a line from **** Winters from [TV series] ‘Band of Brothers.’ When his grandson asked him if he was a hero in the war, he said, 'No, I served with a company of them.' And I serve with a bunch of heroes – every day these cops do their jobs, and they're all heroes.”

That man saved a lot of lives that day including people who were brain washed into hating him and his fellow police officers.  Thank God not everyone is blind to the good deeds of our breave men and women in blue!!!    You just never know when thay might save a member of your family.    

WhenFalconsWin likes this

13-Year-Old Says He Wants To Run Away From Home, So Cop Fills His Empty Room

https://tiphero.com/police-officer-good-deed

Such a heart-warming story!!!!  

With all of the doom and gloom covering the nation’s headlines these days, it’s good to know that there are still some heartwarming stories to tell!  Some people like to focus of the negatives and ignore the 99% good that police officers do.  What a shame!!   

2 hours ago, The Great American said:

13-Year-Old Says He Wants To Run Away From Home, So Cop Fills His Empty Room

https://tiphero.com/police-officer-good-deed

Such a heart-warming story!!!!  

With all of the doom and gloom covering the nation’s headlines these days, it’s good to know that there are still some heartwarming stories to tell!  Some people like to focus of the negatives and ignore the 99% good that police officers do.  What a shame!!   

Lol @ 99%.  99% look the other way when their associates are beating the **** out of or killing members of the public.

Durham Police officers pass out freeze pops to kids

https://abc11.com/news/durham-police-officers-pass-out-freeze-pops-to-kids/1398605/

Freeze2.jpg

DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- Several Durham police officers pulled together to buy and pass out over 500 freeze pops to share with children and others in the community this past weekend.

According to the Durham Police Department, the officers used their own money to buy over 600 freeze pops, dry ice, and coolers and passed out the freeze pops at Durham parks this past weekend.

The officers behind it are a part of the high enforcement abatement team in district two, a team that focuses on street crime in one of four different Durham areas.

Investigator Matthew Farrell said it was a good way to get to know the community they're serving.

"I had a great time meeting the residents," Farrell said. "One hundred percent of them I had never met before and it was great to get out and meet new people, plus they were all in the beat that we work in, they're all local to Durham so they're people that we would be protecting and serving."

Corporal Joseph Stewart, who's been with the Durham Police Department for 12 years, said it felt like just as much of a fun break for him as he imagined it was for local residents.

"I think the whole goal of what we do is to make the community a better place," Stewart said "And it's easy for us to get caught up in the aspect of taking people to jail or issuing citations, and it's as important for us to do fun things, like giving out freeze pops, as it is for the community to see us, you know, giving out freeze pops and not just be that group that's here to come and get you."

"So doing this for children, it not only shows the children that we're approachable and that we're people just like they are, but it also teaches them a lot of good attributes that they need. Children learn by seeing and watching so it teaches them good things that they can carry on through life."

It's so easy to get sucked in by all the negative media bias.  Not sure why people are so gullible but there are many fine examples of police doing fantastic things in their communities.  I guess there will always be "glass half-empty" people that only sees the negatives.  

1 hour ago, Billy Ocean said:

Not sure if this twitter account read the article.  But "bumped" is not what this article they link says.  Even the disabled guy's attorney uses a different word.  

There is no shortage of videos depicting police negatively. But there's a lot more positive work happening.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2016/08/12/police-officers-positive-work-crane/88410664/

For the average person watching the nightly news or surfing Facebook or YouTube, there is no shortage of videos depicting police officers in a negative light. It is easy, even for the best of us, to start to lose faith in our own profession if we allow ourselves to be sucked into the vortex of what seems to be an endless litany of negative media coverage.

Whether we like it or not, we live in a media-driven world in which information is shared in video clips and sound bites through social media, not to mention a plethora of news websites accessible to anyone with a smart phone. In our tech-driven culture, fewer people get their news from nightly TV broadcasts or newspapers, instead relying on news feeds, blogs and info circulated on social media.

So why is this happening?

Like it or not, the news media runs on ratings. Ratings equal money and money equals staying in business. News doesn’t always have to be high-quality or factual, and the first one with the story is often the ratings winner. If a news director has a five-minute slot on the six o’clock news and has to make a choice between running a story on a police-run toy drive or a police pursuit that ended with the bad guy getting shot (which will immediately be played out as an execution since five cops shot at the same time), which one do you think gets the airtime?

In their world, it’s just business. In their minds, if they don’t run with the story a competitor will, and they can’t let that happen or they might find themselves last in the ratings race.

Have we as a police community really gotten that bad?

I don’t think so, and statistics back me up.

900 million police contacts a year

Phoenix Police Community Action Officer Joey Mayfield

Phoenix Police Community Action Officer Joey Mayfield (right) goes door to door with the help of Center for Neighborhood Leadership Volunteer Norma Jimenez in 2015. (Photo: Nick Oza/The Republic)

According to the FBI Uniform Crime Report, the estimated population of the United States in 2014 was just over 268 million. This population was serviced by 12,656 police agencies. Those police agencies were staffed by 899,212 employees; 627,949 of whom were sworn officers. To keep things simple, let’s say 127,949 (just over 20 percent) of that number are supervisors or officers working in administrative positions. This leaves us with a nice even number of half a million police first responders to police a population of over 268 million.

The vast majority of police-citizen contacts are handled without incident and when force must be used to gain compliance, it involves minimal to no injury in most cases. Is it a far stretch to think that out of 2.5 million contacts in one day, maybe 10,000 of those contacts involved cops who went the extra mile to ensure a positive outcome?

To keep yourself grounded in reality, consider this: if, on a national level, 120 negative police videos hit the airwaves in a year and we balance it against 900 million police contacts per year, the percentage of negativity is .000013 percent. This is not to say we shouldn’t worry about negative press, and endeavor to always do better but doing the math helps keep things in perspective.

Some people are like buzzards ... they aren't happy unless they're stirring up a stink! 

Another Example of Police Bro-tality

story.lead_photo.caption

2016 FILE PHOTO: Police Officer Tommy Norman gets a fist bump from Roderick McClinton as he hands out water, snacks and toys to children at 16th and Sycamore streets while on patrol in July 2016 in downtown North Little Rock.