Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zaphod

Why are some of y'all so mad at Kap?

1,605 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, UGABOZ said:

Kap what are your thoughts on chicago and st louis black on black crimes? Asking for a friend. Thanks buddy. 

Ever watch Dateline? Asking for a friend... Thanks, Chums.

I can understand a knee jerk skepticism.   The hands up dont shoot movement has often been as much about slandering police officers as it has been about protecting citizens.  Most of the big stories have proved out to be justified.  However, Philando Castille, Daniel Shaver, and Tamir Rice have been especially telling.   Shaver, did nothing wrong.  He was unarmed.   He didnt even have the bb gun in question when he was shot.  If he hadnt been shot to death there would be nothing to charge.  So, he was minding his own business when the police unjustly raided his hotel room and shot him to death.  That is very bad.   Even worse, no one is held accountable.  It is not okay to just run SWAT raids on unsuspecting innocent citizens, then argue that if they had crawled better, or been less terrified, then they would still be alive.

The fact that the guy did nothing wrong and the police shot him anyway demands more.

Jigglypuff and JDaveG like this

I think that holding police accountable for their actions is as American as Abolition.  People who oppose police abuse of power should wave the flag.

JayOzOne and JDaveG like this

#DumpStarbucks Trends After Arizona Police Officers Reportedly Asked To Leave Starbucks Over Customer Concerns

https://start.att.net/news/read/article/newsweek-dumpstarbucks_trends_after_arizona_police_officers-rnewsweek/category/news

What kind of world are we living in? :(    That's no way to treat our public servants!!  They certainly deserve a little more respect than that.  

20 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

Does Kap care about black on black crime? Asking for nike oh nevermind 

Asking for myself, what does "black on black" crime have to do with blue on black and white and yellow and brown crime? IIRC, when black criminals are identified, they are prosecuted. So the system has a remedy (effective or not). Kaep (and my) concern is that if a cop commits a crime, he doesn't even lose his job, let alone suffers any consequences. So keep trying to point to the shiny object and we'll continue to ask why cops are permitted to commit crimes with impunity until you and your ilk provide an answer.

Does kap care about the entire black race or just a few? Was Kap adopted by white folks! Was he suppressed as a suburban half black half white kid! Just need some answers

On 7/5/2019 at 4:51 PM, The Great American said:

If he broke no laws then why were the police called?  He was percieved as a treat.  Who's job is it to respond to threats?  And yes!!  I support and appreciate the local police very much.  They keep my neighborhood safe. 

Keep living in fear!   

This is insane.

I mean, you realize there is a whole subculture on the internet of people posting videos to expose white people calling the police on black people for bloodthirsty crimes like grilling in a park or being at a public swimming pool, right?  And the same busybody jerks who do that are not immune from calling the police on white people or other demographics.  I lived next door to a particularly obnoxious ***hole who called the cops on me because my truck tire went flat and our dogs actually relieved themselves in our backyard.  Sometimes you have to encounter the police when you have done absolutely nothing at all wrong.

And the answer "well, I don't have to deal with people like that" is not sufficient justification for ignoring they exist.  There is a simple reality that some people have worse encounters with the police than others, sometimes based on race, but probably as often also based simply on where you live.  I had 2 officers in my old neighborhood show up because my daughters were having a dance party with the lights out and flashlights going.  The guy who did the talking had both of his hands up in an apologetic posture when I answered the door -- "sir, we're sure it's just your kids playing, but we saw flashlights in a dark house and we just wanted to check things out to be sure."  The other guy had both hands behind his back, not in a "I have a gun" way, but in a "I'm trying to appear as non-threatening as possible" way.  I appreciated the encounter -- it was nice they were looking out for us.

But if I lived in a ghetto, or a rural area known for drug running, do you think their posture and approach would have been the same?  And if I've done nothing wrong, is that something that ought to be considered?  

I understand the difference in relative danger presented by the two situations.  But for all those cops knew, my house was being robbed.  And for all they know, the ghetto homeowners have done nothing wrong.  We need to be about fixing those stereotypes and training officers to approach people in a non-threatening manner while still being prepared just in case.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

This is insane.

I mean, you realize there is a whole subculture on the internet of people posting videos to expose white people calling the police on black people for bloodthirsty crimes like grilling in a park or being at a public swimming pool, right?  And the same busybody jerks who do that are not immune from calling the police on white people or other demographics.  I lived next door to a particularly obnoxious ***hole who called the cops on me because my truck tire went flat and our dogs actually relieved themselves in our backyard.  Sometimes you have to encounter the police when you have done absolutely nothing at all wrong.

And the answer "well, I don't have to deal with people like that" is not sufficient justification for ignoring they exist.  There is a simple reality that some people have worse encounters with the police than others, sometimes based on race, but probably as often also based simply on where you live.  I had 2 officers in my old neighborhood show up because my daughters were having a dance party with the lights out and flashlights going.  The guy who did the talking had both of his hands up in an apologetic posture when I answered the door -- "sir, we're sure it's just your kids playing, but we saw flashlights in a dark house and we just wanted to check things out to be sure."  The other guy had both hands behind his back, not in a "I have a gun" way, but in a "I'm trying to appear as non-threatening as possible" way.  I appreciated the encounter -- it was nice they were looking out for us.

But if I lived in a ghetto, or a rural area known for drug running, do you think their posture and approach would have been the same?  And if I've done nothing wrong, is that something that ought to be considered?  

I understand the difference in relative danger presented by the two situations.  But for all those cops knew, my house was being robbed.  And for all they know, the ghetto homeowners have done nothing wrong.  We need to be about fixing those stereotypes and training officers to approach people in a non-threatening manner while still being prepared just in case.

You make excellent points here.

7 hours ago, JDaveG said:

This is insane.

In most of the cases in the videos, the cops handled themselves professionally. They're probably almost as upset when called as the people being reported because their time is being wasted. Calmer heads could have prevailed when the in Starbucks, in which case 8 Philly officers showed up and instead of instructing the them to leave, they chose to arrest them. Also, when the cops harassed the student who slept on a sofa in a common area at Yale, in which case she presented her dorm ID, but because her name was spelled differently on university records, they wouldn't even believe her when she presented her key and opened her dorm door.

I watch the Andy Griffith Show; I know that cops can apply judgment and context to situations they encounter.

The guy who had the cops called on him for moving his furniture into his apartment didn't blame the cops. The family who was reported for using a gas grill in the charcoal section of the park complied and weren't mad at the cops. The person who stood under an apartment awning out of a torrent as she waited for her Uber didn't rage at the cops. Usually, the police comport themselves appropriately. But how many situations are there when things do escalate. Common sense and a little human empathy should be applied when calling 911 for anything. Personally, I don't think most of these people are calling for any reason other than harassment. If the guy in this video was worried, why would he be smiling through the entire exchange?

Probably the worst thing about these situations is the malice, ignorance and infrequency of them. When someone confronts you for doing something that you've done a hundred times before, it can set you on edge. Especially when you're a law-abiding citizen. I have never committed a crime (unless you count not returning the pens I used at work) but I want zilch to do with encountering the cops about anything. I understand how people must feel when a cop pulls a car over because someone called when they saw a black kid in the back seat of a car with two white women (one of which was his adopted grandmother) in the front. Frustrating as ****. But is that the hill you want to die on? Keep a cool head. The folks who called the cops in that case were black, by the way.

Kap your thoughts on the Disney world fight with 2 black families? Is that suppression? 

1 hour ago, UGABOZ said:

Kap your thoughts on the Disney world fight with 2 black families? Is that suppression? 

jesus dude you don't need to keep reminding us that you're racist garbage literally every other day.

2 hours ago, achilles return said:

jesus dude you don't need to keep reminding us that you're racist garbage literally every other day.

Ignore him. He's not even good at racisty posting. I'd swear he's drunk from some of the lapsed logic.

3 hours ago, achilles return said:

Gonna leave this here...

29 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

Libs are rustled in this thread! Cant take it? 

They've been jimmie rustled since November 8th, 2016. 

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

They've been jimmie rustled since November 8th, 2016. 

Lol so true and so sad! Never seen a group of people complain so much. 

1 hour ago, mdrake34 said:

That would suck for anyone. That's BS. Makes it hard to talk nicities about LEO's, but we all know they are not all bad. A few bad apples don't spoil the whole bunch girl.