Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zaphod

Why are some of y'all so mad at Kap?

1,625 posts in this topic

Gotta hand it to the republicans on this one. They quickly changed the conversation and folks just ate it up. Everyone arguing about what the protest is "really" about instead of drawing attention to what was intended. 

Serge and SPITFIRE like this

15 hours ago, Flip Flop said:

It is disrespectful to the flag and the anthem.  Essentially it is hijacking a small ceremony in honor of the flag and all that it represents.  To intentionally take that opportunity to make your own statement is disrespectful.  That is true in general.  In this instance it is explicit. This is all in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick and his protest.  

"I am not going to stand up and show pride in  flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." -CK

That is the genesis of this protest. It is literally refusing to show respect for the flag.

The flag does not stand for oppression or racism.  It stands for liberty and self determination among other things. Taking the moment of time set aside to pay respect for the flag to serve your own purpose is disrespectful.

If this is your argument it is working as intended. 

It's so strange to me how delicate the idea of being American can be for the people who claim such American exceptionalism.

They're kneeling during the anthem. Is free speech so painful that you can't simply observe that and move on?

Billy Ocean likes this

32 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

It's so strange to me how delicate the idea of being American can be for the people who claim such American exceptionalism.

They're kneeling during the anthem. Is free speech so painful that you can't simply observe that and move on?

Hey, they're free to kneel during the anthem, and I'm free to infantilize them and passively suggest their problems would be lessened or somehow made less important if they showed more respect.

Billy Ocean likes this

5 minutes ago, Serge said:

Hey, they're free to kneel during the anthem, and I'm free to infantilize them and passively suggest their problems would be lessened or somehow made less important if they showed more respect.

Indeed! Standing in front of a symbol while a song is sung is very, very important.

Serge likes this

Just now, The Legendary SB said:

Irrelevant.  Whether or not you approve of standing or sitting for the anthem is not a party issue.  Why would it be?  A recent poll had 64% of fans not liking the kneeling.  

Roughly the same amount of people were opposed to the freedom riders and sit ins during the civil rights era.

Protests are never popular when they're happening, especially among conservatives and moderates, since they force people to acknowledge and confront the true nature of things that they're comfortable with.

3 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

I don't think anyone has a problem with protesting.  It's the manner in which they protest.  Even Jim Brown said it himself.  

#Browns radio said Jim Brown spoke to the team and told them "do not disrespect your country, do not disrespect the flag''

Jerry Jones and the gang tried to do it their own way.  Ie...protest separately but stand for the anthem.  A lot less people would have a problem with it if they did.

It's not a race thing like you're trying to make it out to be.  It's respect for the freedoms afforded by our nation.

Polls also indicated back then that people were opposed to how the CRM were protesting and that they were doing more harm than good for their cause.

As I have said before, these people need to be ignored in favor of the cause of justice. Opponents will always go back to the same lame excuses for why they are opposed to cover up for their discomfort. Likewise, the NFL has much more to fear from cord cutting, CTE and other injury issues, and relatively worse pay compared to other leagues than they do from butthurt right-wingers.

6 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

I see from this thread and others you've made it your personal mission to defend the protests.  

People would have a problem with kneeling for the anthem no matter what the protest was.  It could be protesting that their fries were too hot from McDonalds.  If you can't understand that I can't debate this with you as you fail to see the issue people have with it.  You choose to make it some kind of race thing instead.  There's no debating with that.

People who are losing their minds over this are opposed to what they're trying to bring attention to. Faux patriotism is just a convenient thing for them to rally around.

Serge likes this

5 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

Most national anthems sounds like a Church hymn or something.  

I remember from the Olympics some country had a really cool national anthem.  Can't remember what country it was though.  

Pretty much everyone has a romanticist orchestra song while we have an anthem about one of our forts getting bombed set to the tune of a drinking song.

32 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Roughly the same amount of people were opposed to the freedom riders and sit ins during the civil rights era.

Protests are never popular when they're happening, especially among conservatives and moderates, since they force people to acknowledge and confront the true nature of things that they're comfortable with.

Indeed. The idea that equal rights must be monetized underscores the need for the kinds of protests we've seen.

When a law enforcement officer says you are under arrest, put your hands behind your back and be handcuffed. You can do it the easy way or the hard way. If you attack a law enforcement officer they will not get in a fist fight, they have a right to defend themselves and can legally shoot you.

12 minutes ago, TeamPlayer1 said:

When a law enforcement officer says you are under arrest, put your hands behind your back and be handcuffed. You can do it the easy way or the hard way. If you attack a law enforcement officer they will not get in a fist fight, they have a right to defend themselves and can legally shoot you.

And for all those that got shot without attacking?   A 12 year old kid with a toy?

10 minutes ago, thesouphead said:

And for all those that got shot without attacking?   A 12 year old kid with a toy?

How did they know it was a toy? Kids can get hold of guns in their house. Just obey the officer.

58 minutes ago, TeamPlayer1 said:

MACK4ttACK and Billy Ocean like this

3 hours ago, The Legendary SB said:

I see from this thread and others you've made it your personal mission to defend the protests.  

People would have a problem with kneeling for the anthem no matter what the protest was.  It could be protesting that their fries were too hot from McDonalds.  If you can't understand that I can't debate this with you as you fail to see the issue people have with it.  You choose to make it some kind of race thing instead.  There's no debating with that.

So what you're saying is, people who have a problem with kneeling for the anthem are people who can't engage the subject of a protest that's visible enough that they might notice it.

3 hours ago, The Legendary SB said:

What if the people were protesting the way soldiers were being treated?