Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zaphod

Why are some of y'all so mad at Kap?

913 posts in this topic

Based on certain responses to the Charlottesville protests, y'all seem to be fans of protests. 

What I don't get is, Colin is exercising his right to protest in literally the most peaceful way possible. He's not hurting anyone, he's not impeding anything...****, it's not like he's even burning the flag or something. He is simply quietly kneeling during the anthem in protest. Why is this more offensive to some of you than literal white supremacists angrily marching and shouting racist ****? 

Help me understand. 

I can only speak for myself, but I have no problem with Kap protesting in a peaceful manner. Completely support his right to do it

What I do have a problem with is him doing it while 'on the clock' with his employer. I would fire any of my employees who chose to do a political protest while I was paying them without seeking my approval first

I don't care what he does.  Look around the crowd at a Falcon's game during the anthem.  Most are paying attention, but there are quite a few people still walking to seats, talking, have their hats on, etc...

And that doesn't even account for the ones walking around the concourse area.   

I feel like the media is blowing it way out of proportion. If they'd just broadcast the game and not focus on the players during the NA, no one would even know about it 

NewFalcon, JDaveG, Xero and 3 others like this

The thing that's odd to me is this -- people who want Kaep to stand value patriotism, because they think this country is great and he should recognize and appreciate that.  I can respect that view.

But then they strike at the very heart of what makes this country great in the first place by trying to conscript him to stand against his will and shut down his expression because they don't like the message he is expressing.  Which might be the most un-American thing one can do.  For that reason, as I said yesterday in another thread, I'd kneel with him if given the chance.  Not because I agree with him, but because I support the principle that he has the right to express himself however he wishes.  He's using the spotlight to enlighten us about something he cares deeply about.  If he's wrong, then we ought to make coherent arguments as to why.  If he isn't, then we ought to listen.  But in neither case should we just try to shut him up.

I have a lot more problem with Bob Costas' consistent whining about liberal issues during football games, honestly.  Nobody has to watch Colin Kaepernick, but Costas is just shoving his opinions in the audience's faces.  Why?  Who knows.  But it is unseemly to me.  Nobody watches the NFL to hear his political opinions.  It's a failure to know one's audience.  No different than if the cashier at the supermarket started telling you all about her religious views or the teller at the bank began lecturing you about the evils of pesticides or whatever.  I turn the channel when Costas comes on.  I won't call for him to be fired, or even silenced.  The network can allow him to say whatever they want.  But I refuse to watch the NFL for that period of time they choose to give him a platform to rhetorically wet the bed.

Here is another difference between Costas and Kaepernick.  Nobody is pimping conservative views while Costas is in the booth.  So Costas is not being asked to make any expression whatsoever.  He just chooses a non-political forum to spout his bull****.

Kaapernick, meanwhile IS being subjected to the National Anthem.  Do I think that is such great torture?  Of course not.  Do I think he ought to be required to reverence the flag while it's being played?  Absolutely not.  Stop playing the anthem and Kaepernick has nothing to protest.

I don't want that either, of course, but the point is, by asking him to stand, you are asking him to speak against conscience.  Nobody is doing that with Bob Costas.  He's just using the platform to lecture people who came to watch a ****ing football game.

Gritzblitz 2.0 likes this

26 minutes ago, Dago 3.0 said:

I just find it telling that a lot of the same people who have a problem with what is going on with Kap were ok with the guy from google getting fired

Actually I am still struggling to understand the Google firing.  The company put in place a system for people to discuss topics like the one he posted.  To my knowledge the 49ers didn't clear Kap to do the same thing.  

Just now, kicker said:

Actually I am still struggling to understand the Google firing.  The company put in place a system for people to discuss topics like the one he posted.  To my knowledge the 49ers didn't clear Kap to do the same thing.  

that was my point...I agree with you

Posted (edited)

Kap can absolutely choose to sit, or even burn a flag, during the anthem, but I can call him an idiot as much as I want for doing it. (and not buy tickets).

And the NFL is not hiring him because they know enough people (like me) will turn away if they do. If the popular opinion was the opposite of mine, teams would be lining up to sign the guy. Remember, it's for entertainment...

Edited by Doozer

2 hours ago, Doozer said:

Kap can absolutely choose to sit, or even burn a flag, during the anthem, but I can call him an idiot as much as I want for doing it. (and not buy tickets).

And the NFL is not hiring him because they know enough people (like me) will turn away if they do. If the popular opinion was the opposite of mine, teams would be lining up to sign the guy. Remember, it's for entertainment...

And as always the bottom line is money, Kap will cause controversy and people want mindless entertainment not political discussion.

2 hours ago, Doozer said:

Explain why his kneeling during the national anthem would cause you to turn away please 

Just now, Zaphod said:

Explain why his kneeling during the national anthem would cause you to turn away please 

Probably because the state has been telling him a fairytale for his entire life and he believes it with all his heart. Thats my guess.

ATLIEN404 likes this

1 hour ago, Snowball said:

I don't think we should be playing the national anthem and flying planes over sporting events to begin with.  

That is, to me, a far more reasonable position than complaining about Kaepernick kneeling. 

I don't mind those things. But I don't begrudge those who do, especially when all they do is take a knee silently while it's going on. 

6 hours ago, Dago 3.0 said:

I can only speak for myself, but I have no problem with Kap protesting in a peaceful manner. Completely support his right to do it

What I do have a problem with is him doing it while 'on the clock' with his employer. I would fire any of my employees who chose to do a political protest while I was paying them without seeking my approval first

Well, unknowingly you spoke for me as also.  This is exactly my sentiment on this issue.  

TBH with you I hated Squidward #7 loooong before the anthem thing, and a lot of that probably has to do with 2012 NFC title game. I'll tell you this tho, the overreaction of a good part of America from last year is probably gonna put his story right up there with with the likes of Tommie Smith and John Carlos when the history is finally written on this thing. (And these things are typically more impulsive than we like to credit)

salute.jpg.size.custom.crop.863x650.jpg

JDaveG and bdog 29 like this

1 hour ago, Billy Ocean said:

Wonder why Marla's posts still show up in that thread but not the Trump presidency thread.

**** you DNC.

8 hours ago, Dago 3.0 said:

Why do you care if Kap's employer didn't?  Kap get's paid to play football.....

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/27/491636683/49ers-quarterback-sits-out-national-anthem-to-protest-oppression-of-minorities

"The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pre-game ceremony. It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose and participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem."

Have zero problems with Kaepernick's protest. He made a statement and has followed through on a lot of what he has said he would do.

Kaepernick's protest is the least of his problems right now though. His comments on Castro and police officers are his bigger issue now. 

9 hours ago, mfaulk57158 said:

Why do you care if Kap's employer didn't?  Kap get's paid to play football.....

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/27/491636683/49ers-quarterback-sits-out-national-anthem-to-protest-oppression-of-minorities

"The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pre-game ceremony. It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose and participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem."

I said what I would do as an employer if it were one of my employees. 

and if the employers in the NFL didn't mind, as you are stating, then why doesn't Kap have a job? He could easily start for a few teams and would immediately be a top 5 backup

1 hour ago, Dago 3.0 said:

I said what I would do as an employer if it were one of my employees. 

and if the employers in the NFL didn't mind, as you are stating, then why doesn't Kap have a job? He could easily start for a few teams and would immediately be a top 5 backup

Because even though he could start for a few teams and be a good backup, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

If Aaron Rodgers did this, nobody would care.  And not because he's white, but because he's one of the best QBs in the league.  Kaepernick may or may not be better than Alex Smith, or whoever is starting in Buffalo these days, but he isn't enough better to deal with the headaches.

Same reason Brent Grimes has been with 3 teams in 5 years.  It's not that his wife's shenanigans are necessarily a deal killer.  It's just that Grimes is a really good CB, but not a great one, and combine that with her headaches and you have a scenario where he can't stick anywhere for long.