Falcon Defense is a Real Brotherhood

Cheap Talk

The Falcon Defense will be a force this year, and there are intangibles that will help lead them. Three sets of starters, possibly four if you count late last year, were college teammates. Beasley and Jarrett at Clemson, Riley and Jones at LSU, Neal and Poole at Florida, and you could through in Campbell and Hageman at Minnesota, but they would have barely played together. That is six starters that have chemistry together and have played together for many years.

What is also funny, is that the matches play on the same units. Beasley and Jarrett at DL, Riley and Jones at LB, and Neal and Pool at DB. All were drafted, except Pool (UFA), during Quinn's tenure. They are between the ages of (22-25).

Not sure this is by design or not (would appear that it is), but could mean special things are ahead for this group.

47 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

The Falcon Defense will be a force this year, and there are intangibles that will help lead them. Three sets of starters, possibly four if you count late last year, were college teammates. Beasley and Jarrett at Clemson, Riley and Jones at LSU, Neal and Poole at Florida, and you could through in Campbell and Hageman at Minnesota, but they would have barely played together. That is six starters that have chemistry together and have played together for many years.

What is also funny, is that the matches play on the same units. Beasley and Jarrett at DL, Riley and Jones at LB, and Neal and Pool at DB. All were drafted, except Pool (UFA), during Quinn's tenure. They are between the ages of (22-25).

Not sure this is by design or not (would appear that it is), but could mean special things are ahead for this group.

I made this point last week, but it's obviously by design to put players together that hav already developed tht bond by depending on each other to do their jobs, in their respected defenses. It is a brilliant idea, and while the rise up slogan is for marketing purposes the brotherhood mentality is more than just talk. This feeling is also more attractive to younger players, than veterans that are playing for money(and rightfully so).

9 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

I've seen Hageman highlights and Campbell was on the field just wasn't starting. Probably a rook 

10 minutes ago, The Great American said:

IMO, the drafting of pairs from same college is just a coincidence.  Quinn is looking for speed and players off the charts in the mean, nasty scale (forgot what its called).   

If this is just a coincidence can we start calculating the odds?

12 minutes ago, The Great American said:

IMO, the drafting of pairs from same college is just a coincidence.  Quinn is looking for speed and players off the charts in the mean, nasty scale (forgot what its called).   

Agreed.  It would be impossible to target players this way in the draft, unless you are willing to reach and make sure you take specific guys way before they are projected.  There's no way we would've waited until the 5th round for Jarrett if it was intentional.  He fell past what he was projected to go.  We got Riley in the 3rd and Poole was undrafted.  

It's a cool story and a cool thought.  But it was definitely not a determining factor.  LSU, Florida, and Clemson are all known for their great defenses.  It's not a coincidence we have drafted defensive players from those teams.

1 hour ago, The Great American said:

I used to think so too, but it slipped my mind that Campbell and Hage went to the same school. Granted, Hage was drafted in the Smitty era. But even discounting Hage and Campbell, that's still more than half of the starters that were literally teammates and actually played together in college.

I don't think that's mere coincidence.

It's like the Colts drafted Andrew Luck and the TE Coby Fleener, who was his favorite target in college. Can't overlook chemistry. Anyway, whether or not if it actually is coincidence, I think it's a great idea.

15 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

I used to think so too, but it slipped my mind that Campbell and Hage went to the same school. Granted, Hage was drafted in the Smitty era. But even discounting Hage and Campbell, that's still more than half of the starters that were literally teammates and actually played together in college.

I don't think that's mere coincidence.

It's like the Colts drafted Andrew Luck and the TE Coby Fleener, who was his favorite target in college. Can't overlook chemistry. Anyway, whether or not if it actually is coincidence, I think it's a great idea.

If you think about three were considered reaches by the draft experts, and Poole was easily added as an UFA. Beasley was not a reach, but the Falcons traded-up to get Jarrett in the same draft. 

Collins could have been added to the LSU group, but is not a LB, and just and afterthought now.

Would like to have this question asked to Quinn himself, I am sure he would answer honestly.

Edited by Cheap Talk

Here are some calculations. We will take [50] major colleges (could have easily taken 100) X [3] same age/draft class (avg career length in NFL is 3.3 years), this factor could be much higher since these were high picks and will stay in the NFL longer, Jones/Riley are same age. X [2] offense or defense X [3] defensive groupings: DL/LB/DB = 900 to 1 odds for a team to have one set. Three sets would be 900 X 900 X 900 = 729,000,000 to 1 odds.

Could cut into those odds by considering number of draft picks available, but would not be a big factor. The numbers above are very conservative numbers and could be much higher.