Solar Eclipse

Went to Nantahala Lake to capture the Total Eclipse. and I cannot explain the overwelming feeling I had. It was awesome. to start it off there was people howling all around my wife and I. and then there was a girl at the end that was crying. and honestly I was fighting back my own tears. It was amazing. 

21081998_1119756438156599_1023638240_o.jpg?oh=f428dcf59a8a3b3c85055b0f2ffa5b65&oe=599DCAF6

be honest, is this cheesy? I am trying to think of something to do with adding in the falcons into it. 

Edited by mashburn*Fibonacci

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

side note. does anyone know how rare this is? not how often it happens for us. But look at the entire Galaxy. there is only two moons that are the right distance to cast a ring around the sun. the moon is 400 times away from us, and in order to get this that means the sun is 400 times further away. Which is how one of the crazy scientist forever ago found out what the sun size was. For the other moon I think it is 1100 and then 1100 in the distance. which is one of the moons for Jupiter. 

I didn't get to go anywhere to see it, didn't think too much about it so I didn't even have glasses. I will say though that once they started showing it on TV I was sorry I didn't have them. when that woman from the weather channel in Madrus OR choked up, I was almost right there with her.

love the pics. maybe the first is a little cheesy, so what, it'll be 7 years before that can be done again, who cares? I hope I'm still around in 2045 to see that one, I've read it's supposed to have totality in some areas over 6 minutes......and the wife and I are already talking about where we're going in 2024. I have a LOT of family in southern IL ;)

1 minute ago, papachaz said:

I didn't get to go anywhere to see it, didn't think too much about it so I didn't even have glasses. I will say though that once they started showing it on TV I was sorry I didn't have them. when that woman from the weather channel in Madrus OR choked up, I was almost right there with her.

love the pics. maybe the first is a little cheesy, so what, it'll be 7 years before that can be done again, who cares? I hope I'm still around in 2045 to see that one, I've read it's supposed to have totality in some areas over 6 minutes......and the wife and I are already talking about where we're going in 2024. I have a LOT of family in southern IL ;)

I'm going to peru in 2019 to see the next one. I am hooked. and then there is one in 2023 and 2024 here in america. so I will probably head out to Texas area for that, because I want it to be lower to the horizon. 

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

Where I live I got 99.4% coverage and watched it with a weilding helment. 

I did the same thing, I actually put on the goggles I use with my torches, and THEN put on the welding helmet, and limited myself to just a few seconds at time every few minutes starting at about 15 minutes before max. for us here in west Ga where I am, we got  96.5%....still pretty incredible but man I wish I'd have bought glasses and drove up to the NE corner of the state

6 minutes ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

side note. does anyone know how rare this is? not how often it happens for us. But look at the entire Galaxy. there is only two moons that are the right distance to cast a ring around the sun. the moon is 400 times away from us, and in order to get this that means the sun is 400 times further away. Which is how one of the crazy scientist forever ago found out what the sun size was. For the other moon I think it is 1100 and then 1100 in the distance. which is one of the moons for Jupiter. 

yeah I heard one of the people on the weather channel today talking about that. And that there is an eclipse somewhere on the planet every year, but it's not always a total eclipse like today, because of the tilting of the earth and how that can change the appearance of the size, it has to be just right for the moon to be in just the right position to make it look like it did today

4 minutes ago, papachaz said:

yeah I heard one of the people on the weather channel today talking about that. And that there is an eclipse somewhere on the planet every year, but it's not always a total eclipse like today, because of the tilting of the earth and how that can change the appearance of the size, it has to be just right for the moon to be in just the right position to make it look like it did today

yeah. and also the moon comes closer and further away. At some point and time the moon actually covered it entirely. which my gues would be darkness. but would be a killer shot when it start to come out around the corner. 

and in 600 million years (who really knows). the moon will be out further to where it will just always look like a partial. So we are honestly seeing something crazy crazy crazy rare. 

1 minute ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

dang I'm sorry..... when it went 100% for us, it was honestly like night time. it was wild. 

Yeah it only got to dusk for me. I'd of love to gone 2 hours up to Athens TN with my friends but I'd have to miss work and I'm on the brink of not paying for tuition this semester so I couldn't risk it.

1 minute ago, Jpowers said:

Maybe I'm the only one....but I was thinking this is it? I was in a 90+ percentage area too. I mean it was cool and all but I'd skip the next showing.

I was having this discussion with someone today on FB, she's in my town where we had 96.5% coverage. It was like just before dark, but still plenty of light to see. How amazing is it that with just 3.5% of the sun's light, it was still THAT light outside? that's almost as amazing to me as the total darkness, heck I can look out right now and see total darkness ;)

Just now, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

you got to go to the 100% area. you will see exactly what I saw. in fact my pictures do not do it justice. 

I'm sure that's true.

The weirdest part is that selfies during the eclipse placed the actual eclipse in a different part of the photo besides the actual sun. I have tons of photos to represent this phenomenon. Kinda weird.

For the record I wasn't taking selfies but the crescent was on my face several times. Just weird.

1 minute ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

you got to go to the 100% area. you will see exactly what I saw. in fact my pictures do not do it justice. 

ok the one in 2023 is the 'annular' one, where the moon is just a little farther away from earth and doesn't fit to block it off, so it's nicknamed the 'ring of fire' eclipse.

now here's an interesting tidbit....

Feb 26, 1979, the last time a total eclipse was seen in the US, was a monday...

Aug 21, 2017........a monday

April 8, 2024.......monday

3 minutes ago, papachaz said:

I was having this discussion with someone today on FB, she's in my town where we had 96.5% coverage. It was like just before dark, but still plenty of light to see. How amazing is it that with just 3.5% of the sun's light, it was still THAT light outside? that's almost as amazing to me as the total darkness, heck I can look out right now and see total darkness ;)

I was having that discussion with my co-workers. The sun is covered up 95+ percent and this is what we get? Just imagine how bright it really is? Good lawd!!!!

Just now, Jpowers said:

I'm sure that's true.

The weirdest part is that selfies during the eclipse placed the actual eclipse in a different part of the photo besides the actual sun. I have tons of photos to represent this phenomenon. Kinda weird.

For the record I wasn't taking selfies but the crescent was on my face several times. Just weird.

yeah my wife and I were talking about that too, the glare without the glasses was so bright you couldn't actually see the eclipse, but then it would be in reverse somewhere in the picture. Someone today had a name for that phenomena but I don't recall it. Maybe Mash knows why because it seems to be a photography thing, fish tail maybe? or something like that?

5 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

I'm sure that's true.

like the flare of it? I know the flares will show it, just like the pin hole paper thing, or when looking at the leafs. 

6 minutes ago, papachaz said:

ok the one in 2023 is the 'annular' one, where the moon is just a little farther away from earth and doesn't fit to block it off, so it's nicknamed the 'ring of fire' eclipse.

now here's an interesting tidbit....

Feb 26, 1979, the last time a total eclipse was seen in the US, was a monday...

Aug 21, 2017........a monday

April 8, 2024.......monday

look at you bro!!! that is an awesome tidbit of a find there!