the ups and downs of week 2 pre season

jdawg4876

lets go over some players. I have watched the game 2 times

positives aka UP

1. starting offensive line and back ups. All 5 looked good I really do think it is Wes's job to lose the RG. His pass protection will need some help but his run blocking is pretty on pt. just go look at the TD ward had. 2nd string with ben garland was not bad either gave simms protection way into the third.

2. Terron Ward- speaking of ward I dont see how he doesnt make the team. he has good burst and vision and packs a tiny punch as well. he is not great at anything but solid at everything like a snelling even though Id say snelling in his prime was better

3. Reggie Davis- Once again dude showed out, when I went to training camp he beat multiple DBs. he is 6 foot tall so really good size and has good football speed. Id say half a step faster than a sanu. Needs to work on hands and route running. But I think we should keep him

4. Matt Ryan- He was not down at all last week, but I just wanted to shout out his pocket presence on that third and long to keep the play alive and find hooper.

5. Austin Hooper- speaking of california cool. He did great in run blocking and pass catching. I do think we got our TE of the future. Im not convinced like gazoo that he is a great seam stretcher but he is a great 15 to 20 yd catcher and can make people miss. on that catch from schaub he used the same move to get more yds that Tony G used back in the day aka stick the arm out and kick the legs back to move forward.

6. Sanu- Great in traffic and catches everything. Im starting to think he might really get close to a 1000 yds this season

7. Duke Riley- He is fast and physical and a solid tackler. good job

8. Takk- Dude is going to be dangerous good transfer of speed to power. needs more technical work but that can be coached up this yr. im seeing a 3 to 5 sack season this yr which would be great if you ask me.

9. Devondra Campbell- Dude is mean and nasty and I love it great size and speed. Dude is going to be a problem this yr

10. Poe and Jarret- Im putting these two together bc they are like peanut butter and jelly. excellent size and strength with relentless pursuit.

11. Courtney upshaw- He is not a starter but what a great rotational piece. 

Negatives aka DOWN

1. Hageman- his pad level was way to high all game, I think it is time we realize that he is what he is a decent rotational piece but probably wont be a break out star

2. Tevin Coleman- He has not had many chances this offseason, but something just doesnt seem right. I just hope he is not carrying too much weight for his frame. Im not worried but call it like I see it. he had a down week.

3. Brian Hill- He did better than last week, but that is not saying much. to me is avg to below avg at everything. I was hoping his power would come through it never really did. he did have one nice short yd gain for a first down though

4. Derrick Coleman- I know we wont use FB as much this yr but I think we are going to miss pancake dimarco.

5. 2nd and third string dbs- some of the calls the refs made were bs but at the same time I saw too many dbs not looking back for the ball and getting way too handsies. needs work, I dont think our depth here is as good as some folks think.

6. Special Teams- this is hard to evaluate bc so many players are moving in and out but I feel punting has been an issue for some time, and bosher has had problems at least to me going back to last yr. he doesnt nail them like he use to. at least to my eyes.

7. 3rd and 4th string O line- They suck bad but im in the camp of who cares- I dont think edison(although he had some positives during the first half and third quarter) or dangerfield or 74 ever had a  chance anyway to make the team. I think matthews, levitre, mack, wes, and schrader all looked good and ben garland and Dj also looked good for two weeks in a row. Plus we didnt even see Pazstor at all yesterday. we might have a need at OT still, but who really knows until the Paz plays.

8. Matt Simms- This dude is really jekyll and hyde. But cant blame the o line anymore he had solid protection well into the third and was throwing balls to nobody. Its time to move on and try to develop a homegrown back up.

overall Id give this game an 8.5 outta 10 way better than the miami game and that was not bad either.

Thanks for your take as well.  

Man, Duke looked like a vicious dog.  He made play after play after play and showed some nice pop too.

Takk looked really solid too given limited snaps. 

Ward and Davis looked pretty solid again.  Hill looked better this week and showed some toughness. 

Sanu looks really crisp and honed in with absolute blood in his eyes. (awesome stiff arm)

Hoop looks like he's taking the next step.

Poe & Jarrett will be ridiculous this year.

Kazee flashed some of that college tape where he comes in like a missile and ruins the day.

Special teams was abysmal.  I mean to the tune of fire the coach terrible. Not just a couple mess ups but every single time they were on the field. No excuse for that crap & penalties only add to that chitshow.

Pitt is always tough in the trenches.  Dline looke pretty solid.  Oline was average, but backups were nowhere near the quality they should have been.  Simms was horrible when the starters began coming out for a reason.

We killed ourselves with penalties.  

Eric Saubert should have crawled under the turf and hid himself.  I hope the humiliation makes him laser focused because he needs to get his act together really quickly.  His head must be swimming.  

I thought Laroy Reynolds looked good out there too.

Penalties, back up oline & special teams were the reasons we lost.  But I came away mighty encouraged.  Our starters whooped their azzes.

29 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Man, Duke looked like a vicious dog.  He made play after play after play and showed some nice pop too.

Ward and Davis looked pretty solid again.  Hill looked better this week and showed some toughness. 

Sanu looks really crisp and honed in with absolute blood in his eyes. (awesome stiff arm)

Kazee flashed some of that college tape where he comes in like a missile and ruins the day.

Special teams was abysmal.  I mean to the tune of fire the coach terrible. Not just a couple mess ups but every single time they were on the field. No excuse for that crap & penalties only add to that chitshow.

Pitt is always tough in the trenches.  Dline looke pretty solid.  Oline was average, but backups were nowhere near the quality they should have been.  Simms was horrible when the starters began coming out for a reason.

Eric Saubert should have crawled under the turf and hid himself.  I hope the humiliation makes him laser focused because he needs to get his act together really quickly.  His head must be swimming.  

Penalties, back up oline & special teams were the reasons we lost.  But I came away mighty encouraged.  Our starters whooped their azzes.

Good break down Hash

Agree with Takk thought he played solid just needs more technique

Lol I didn't see a lot of Riley I was in and out of the room a lot but I'll take your word love the kid he will be special

I did see the pass to Davis kid is impressive

I really liked how Ward played heck If I'm Quinn I have Coleman in my office Ward really ran well. I thought Hill ran better not a lot of stutter steps he hit the holes but if he's lack that burst he needs power and I haven't seen either yet.

Agree on Hoop and Sanu

Poe and Jarrett are worth the price of admission they're going to be sick.

Like Kazee's play as well hope he can get back on the field quickly this kid has some upside.

The rest spot on oh and Saubert can go pound sand.

Don't get me wrong.  I am counting on Saubert.  I really want to see him just get his head in the game and relax.  I still believe he'll be a nice weapon but he's pressing and his head is swimming.  Although he got called for hands to the face, at least he ripped Watt's helmet off.  :D

51 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

agreed some of the penalties were bogus 

1 hour ago, Xfactor said:

Good break down Hash

Agree with Takk thought he played solid just needs more technique

Lol I didn't see a lot of Riley I was in and out of the room a lot but I'll take your word love the kid he will be special

I did see the pass to Davis kid is impressive

I really liked how Ward played heck If I'm Quinn I have Coleman in my office Ward really ran well. I thought Hill ran better not a lot of stutter steps he hit the holes but if he's lack that burst he needs power and I haven't seen either yet.

Agree on Hoop and Sanu

Poe and Jarrett are worth the price of admission they're going to be sick.

Like Kazee's play as well hope he can get back on the field quickly this kid has some upside.

The rest spot on oh and Saubert can go pound sand.

You would have coleman in your office ?? 

It may be a blessing in disguise for Hill to continue his bad preseason as it would allow the Falcons to put him on the practice squad without another team grabbing him.

He could then develop for a year and would be an available option next year if we cannot afford to keep Tevin or an option this year if Freeman continues having concussion problems.

I have a couple questions, that I don't think merit a separate thread since we have a few game 2 threads. I only got to watch the first two drives, I did listen to a little on the radio, but didn't hear any explanation...

1. Tevin Coleman - seemed to go out early in the first drive and not come back in. So, did he come back out and I just didn't know, was he injured somehow, or was it is just a chance to see some of the other guys in with the ones?

2. Was the horrible ST play due to them trying out different people in different spots, or was it just really flat out that bad?

3. what happened to Kazee?

4. how much did Harlowe play, and how did he look? haven't seen or heard anything

18 minutes ago, papachaz said:

I have a couple questions, that I don't think merit a separate thread since we have a few game 2 threads. I only got to watch the first two drives, I did listen to a little on the radio, but didn't hear any explanation...

1. Tevin Coleman - seemed to go out early in the first drive and not come back in. So, did he come back out and I just didn't know, was he injured somehow, or was it is just a chance to see some of the other guys in with the ones?

2. Was the horrible ST play due to them trying out different people in different spots, or was it just really flat out that bad?

3. what happened to Kazee?

4. how much did Harlowe play, and how did he look? haven't seen or heard anything

2. Jhurell Pressley played like Elvis Pressley

3. I think he got Jhurell Pressleyed.