Football Outsiders Most accurate QBs

Look who it is... Need insider to see the rest if anyone can help.

The NFL's 10 most accurate quarterbacks http://es.pn/2wfb4kV
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons

C%+: 6.6 percent

Ryan's MVP season was historically strong, and he led the league in many major statistical categories, includingTotal QBR, passing DVOA, yards per attempt, passer rating and C%+. Ryan didhis most damage on slant routes, which he completed a league-best 83 percent of his passes. Ryan's previous career high in C%+ was 5.7 percent in 2012, so some regression is to be expected in 2017.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0101%2Fr167632_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=750&cquality=40 Matt Ryan had a career season in 2016, topped off with an MVP award. AP Photo/John Bazemore

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you go:

2. Drew BreesNew Orleans Saints

C%+: 5.8 percent

Brees has three of the top seven seasons in C%+ since 2006, so his mark of 5.8 percent from 2016 only ranks as his fifth-best season in that time. Still, Brees showed no signs of slowing down in his age-37 season with his fifth career 5,000-yard passing season. According to ESPN Stats & Information research, Brees was off target on 9.9 percent of his passes, the lowest rate of any passer in 2016.

min.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. Sam BradfordMinnesota Vikings

C%+: 5.5 percent

Bradford really ate up the short passes (throws that traveled no more than five yards beyond the line of scrimmage) with the highest ranking in C%+, but he ranked only 13th on throws deeper than that. He has been trending in the right direction, posting a minus-1.9 percent C%+ with the Rams (2010-2013) and a plus-0.6 percent C%+ with the Eagles in 2015 before last season's career-best mark.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

4. Kirk CousinsWashington Redskins

C%+: 4.9 percent

Cousins ranked in the top five in C%+ for the second season in a row, but he will have to make do without wide receivers Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson in 2017. Cousins' C%+ dropped from 6.6 percent when throwing to those two receivers to 3.9 percent on targets to other players, however, so he still would have ranked fourth without them.

sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

5. Russell WilsonSeattle Seahawks

C%+: 3.6 percent

A year after leading the NFL in C%+ in 2015 (6.2 percent), leg injuries affected Wilson's playmaking ability last season. He actually finished with the least value (minus-96 DYAR) on broken plays where his creativity usually excels. Wilson's 3.6 percent C%+ is the second lowest of his career, ahead of only his 3.4 percent C%+ in 2014.

dal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. Dak PrescottDallas Cowboys

C%+: 3.5 percent

Prescott had an all-around impressive rookie season. He was the top quarterback on out routes, completing 78.4 percent of them, and one of three quarterbacks to complete at least 50 percent of his go/fly routes where the average throw was 30.4 yards down the field.

nwe.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

7. Tom BradyNew England Patriots

C%+: 3.4 percent

Brady is not penalized for his four-game suspension since C%+ is a rate stat. One of the main reasons for Brady's lower ranking compared to where he ranks in other 2016 stats is the impact that pressure had on his accuracy. When pressured, Brady was off-target on 45.2 percent of his passes, the only quarterback in the NFL above 40 percent last season.

mia.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Ryan TannehillMiami Dolphins

While Tannehill ranked fourth in off-target pass rate (13.4 percent), he had the least amount of success with vertical shots to Kenny Stills(minus-2.7 percent C%+) and short passes to running back Jay Ajayi(minus-2.8 percent C%+). Unfortunately, we won't see Tannehill get a second season in Adam Gase's offense until at least 2018 because another knee injury has placed him on injured reserve. His replacement, Jay Cutler, had a 0.1 percent C%+ while playing under Gase in 2015 with the Bears. Without Gase in Chicago last season, Cutler posted a minus-4.1 percent C%+, though injuries limited Cutler to only 137 passing attempts.

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Aaron RodgersGreen Bay Packers

C%+: 3.3 percent

Rodgers is remembered for finishing the regular season on a tear, but in Weeks 1-11, Rodgers' C%+ was minus-0.3 percent. In the final six games -- all Green Bay wins -- Rodgers' C%+ was plus-10.5 percent, which would easily be a record since 2006 had he sustained that type of success for the full season.

cin.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

10. Andy DaltonCincinnati Bengals

C%+: 3.0 percent

Believe it or not, Dalton has ranked in the top 15 in C%+ for each of the past five seasons. His 2015 season was his best in many ways (4.1 percent C%+), but he was still solid last season despite A.J. Green and Tyler Eifert effectively missing half of the season. Dalton's 2016 C%+ was a respectable plus-1.2 percent to receivers not named Eifert or Green.

I cannot tell you how many times I posted here that Brady was terrible under pressure last year and many refused to admit it. He was horrific in the Super Bowl when under pressure. 

Brady is not penalized for his four-game suspension since C%+ is a rate stat. One of the main reasons for Brady's lower ranking compared to where he ranks in other 2016 stats is the impact that pressure had on his accuracy. When pressured, Brady was off-target on 45.2 percent of his passes, the only quarterback in the NFL above 40 percent last season.

2 hours ago, gazoo said:

I cannot tell you how many times I posted here that Brady was terrible under pressure last year and many refused to admit it. He was horrific in the Super Bowl when under pressure. 

Dang Gaz. I admit I didn't get to read the whole article. Hard to believe Tom Terrific was that bad under pressure.  

Hitting those slants the way he does has been a game changer. The catch and run ability of our receivers combined with Ryan's precision forces defenses even further into circumstances that they just can't  typically handle. This offense is getting favorable matchups all over the field in all sorts of ways.

Matt Ryan has always been decent at hitting his receivers in stride, but you can see areas of his game like this are still continuing to improve year after year.

1 minute ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

Hitting those slants the way he does has been a game changer. The catch and run ability of our receivers combined with Ryan's precision forces defenses even further into circumstances that they just can't  typically handle. This offense is getting favorable matchups all over the field in all sorts of ways.

Matt Ryan has always been decent at hitting his receivers in stride, but you can see areas of his game like this are still continuing to improve year after year.

Slants are Ryan's bread and butter. Makes me wonder why there were some years we barely ran any?

1 hour ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Dang Gaz. I admit I didn't get to read the whole article. Hard to believe Tom Terrific was that bad under pressure.  

It was driving me insane talking about how Brady has declined significantly in this area. I kept pointing out the last couple of years how terrible he is under pressure and even our own fans were claiming Brady was one of best QBs in NFL under pressure.

The truth is, he was the worst starting QB in NFL under pressure, even worse than I realized.

Man, that is a brutally ugly stat for him and is an indication of his decline creeping in. 

11 minutes ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

+1

39 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

I said it many times last year.. I wouldn't trade Ryan for anybody... He's way better than what even our fans here think...  He is the key to the SB this year.. if he stays healthy and on the field, We be bad to the bone. 

You are right, Ryan is monumentally better than some of even our own fans realize but mostly now the naysayers outside the Falcons inner circle stil, spewing blind ignorance about him.

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

You are right, Ryan is monumentally better than some of even our own fans realize but mostly now the idiots outside the Falcons inner circle stil, spewing blind ignorance about him.

That's a good thing, ,I hope none of them know how good he really is.. Us fans know...... Nobody wants Ryan to get his respect.. I truly believe by the end of this season,, He will have it. No matter what the outcome is.. They will know Ryan is an awesome QB. I'd say he'll break most of his own records.. I haven't played fantacy Football in several years.. But I've really got the inch to , just to Draft Ryan first and beat the heck out of every other team! :lol:

He "Earned His Wings" last year. The dude is a classic hard-luck fail until you succeed White GUY imo lol.. Like, he's had to face some incredible challenges I'd imagine to get to where he is now so at this point he has TONS OF GAMETAPE on HIMSELF lol.. Like WAYYY more than we have lol..

15 minutes ago, ki46dinah said:

I was thinking of that last night...there is no legit pre-regular season contention for them...even if there is one or two teams, you would still take the odds.

There are some great teams in the AFC - KC, Denver, Oakland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh

Tennessee is upcoming and Cincinnati is one of those teams with a lot of talent and you just never know.  The Chargers and Colts are also teams you just never know about.

Admittedly, they don't have a strong or even semi-strong Division - so they can easily get into the playoffs by winning their Division - but once there - they face some great teams.   

We really don't have to undermine the accomplishments of the Patriots or Brady to realize that we have great talent on our team and have an extremely high ceiling.    

Honestly - regardless of the claims of cheating and easy schedules, what they have accomplished is other-worldly, especially in this day and age of the NFL.     

We should just focus on the bright, bright future of our own team - and our own accomplishments - and if we happen to meet them in the SB again - our team needs to finish the job.

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Brady might be the worst under pressure, but he is the best in the league at getting rid of the ball before he gets pressured.  Any QB measurement that puts Kirk Cousins and Sam Bradford above Tom Brady is a deeply flawed measure.

Not necessarily.   You'd have to dig a lot deeper.   How much of the accuracy is short, high percentage passing?   How much pressure did the QB face during the season (ie - how skewed can the percentage be by a much lower number of pressures)?   Did the receivers have a lot of drops, route issues, etc?   In other words, how much did the receiving corp play into the statistic.

The statistic is what it is - a number which reflects the accuracy of each quarterback.    How those numbers were achieved is the deeper story.   Stats are only a starting point if you are trying to get information on where you stand in the league against other quarterbacks.   This is just the jumping in point.