Anyone else worried about the oline

ok so I'm not usually a doom and gloomer, but I can't sleep at night because I'm so excited for this season. I'm posting at 4 am sometimes. Our defense is WAAAAYYYY deeper and much better than I ever imagined it could be. I am not concerned about our defense at all because we have good depth at EVERY position. \

We just had a season that saw our offense tie the immortal "greatest show on Turf" Rams team. I do understand that. Matt Ryan is the best Qb in the NFL RIGHT NOW. The stats support that, as well as the M.V.P. title so don't even try arguing against that. IMO, we have the best skill players in the league. 

Now that Weems is gone, I see us FINALLY having a threat at PR, as KR is almost extinct due to the 35 yd line K.O., and the new 25 yd line touch back. However, it would  be nice to see someone actually get to that line if the ball is taken out of the endzone. I know we will have a return game because we have 3 players that show that ability, that are fighting for the position now. I would like to see the Ga boy win, but whoever is the best returner AND gunner gets the slot.

With all that said, I do see an obvious flaw that we only have to look 2 years back to see the horrors that this flaw causes. Our o-line is not set. It's just obvious to see that we do not have the talent on our offensive line that we need to be as close to unbeatable as possible. Our center is one of the best in the league, and is a durable guy. Since it is the most important position on the o-line, thank God we have the best. After that we have an average LG, who commits too many penalties, and is not as good as his draft position, and/or salary dictates. At RG we have the biggest question mark. It's obvious that last year's "battle" at TC between Wes and Chris was not as close as many thought or he would be the heir, and Quinn would know who the starter will be by this point. Both of our tackle spots are good to go but if either become injured their is nothing there. However the signing of Austin Pasztor is a HUGE positive, and gives us depth on the oline with NFL game experience. He is also a player that originally played guard for two seasons, and as everyone knows played RT last season with Cleveland. As well as a swing tackle(although I think Schraeder would move to LT as Austin manned the right. I love that he can also serve as a reserve guard. That is super versatility, and helps a good bit to calm my nerves. I was not stoked to have a 260 lb T.E. serve as our swing tackle. LoL. That news made me sick. Patz was a god start. but we need more veteran talent on the oline. I'm fine with Garland backing up Mack, kind of. Harlow will hopefully take that role over next season. If not we need to draft OG/C early. Our D line is set, and now we need to beef up the oline a bit.

My point is, with RG not being set, and no chance that anyone special will start there again this year, why does no one talk about the offensive line? as the old saying goes, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. If you didn't like Chester at RG then be ready to be underwhelmed again. 

Our O-Line was the only in the NFL to play every game together, and not sustain injuries until the end of the year. This will not happen again, as it is an anomaly for it to happen at all. So what happens when an injury occurs at guard? I'm not worrying about tackle anymore because we have a plan in place now that I can live with as a fan. We have no depth at a position that needed to be upgraded LAST year. Not only do we not have ANY depth there, we have no clear starter at week 2 of the preseason? That's never a good sign. All other spots are locked in but RG, who half the board swore would be manned by Wes Shwarzenegger last year, still has no leader? Does anyone on this board think Ben Garland is a really good offensive guard? If so, then why didn't he push for that starting RG position along with Wes last T.C.? If you truly think we are good at O-line I have a bridge to sell you. 

Those of you who care to comment who would you bring in? Does anyone have any info on rumors of OG/C, or OT that may be cut after pre-season? I'm just trying to start a thread that will make me feel better about the situation, and fill me with some hope that a vet may become available? 

T.D. is always good at bringing in late comers in positions of need right before the season. This has in the past always seemed to be corners, but it is how we got Levitre recently. Who could be a likely trade candidate if it comes to that?

I mean were still going to win the Superbowl this year, but I want to beat the Pats worse than the 85 Bears did.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that I would say we are any more vulnerable than your average NFL roster when it comes to the o-line depth. That said it is absolutely one of those factors that could end up becoming a chink in the armor that leads to bigger issues.

This team was incredibly fortunate to not have a ton of severe injuries last year. Especially when it came to the o-line. If I'm Quinn I'm not going into this season simply keeping my fingers crossed that the starting five will make it all the way through. I believe you always have to expect injuries and prepare for the worst. 

I think our starting offensive line will be among the League's better lines this year. If we even lose one starter to injury though things can start to change very rapidly. Of course the same can be said for every team in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I don't Quinn agrees with that.

He wouldn't say so publicly but actions speak. He converts a undersized TE to tackle, because he SAID he didn't like the swing tackle situation. Also, not knowing who your RG is by now doesn't look good. Especially when Wes "almost" beat out Chester for the starting job last year(not true, but the entire board believes it). I mean Garland wasn't mentioned in the mix last year, but now Wes, who almost beat out Chester can't beat out Garland? Also we just signed a Ot/OG in the past 24 hours so that clearly shows to an open mind that he's not ready to ride with what we have. Indecision, switching positions, and bringing in lineman in the middle of preseason? We aren't bringing in any defensive vets.

2 minutes ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

I'm not sure that I would say we are any more vulnerable than your average NFL roster when it comes to the o-line depth. That said it is absolutely one of those factors that could end up becoming a chink in the armor that leads to bigger issues.

This team was incredibly fortunate to not have a ton of severe injuries last year. Especially when it came to the o-line. If I'm Quinn I'm not going into this season simply keeping my fingers crossed that the starting five will make it all the way through. I believe you always have to expect injuries and prepare for the worst. 

I think our starting offensive line will be among the League's better lines this year. If we even lose one starter to injury though things can start to change very rapidly. Of course the same can be said for every team in the NFL.

The problem with the depth is that we don't know if we have a starting calibre RG or not. Sure I like Garland's versatility, but what has Wes done to make anyone think he is an NFL calibre guard? Our oline looks like an oline that has already lost it's starting RG for the year. 

Thanks for the post, and we have done something to help the situation in the past 24 hrs so that is good.

6 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

He wouldn't say so publicly but actions speak. He converts a undersized TE to tackle, because he SAID he didn't like the swing tackle situation. Also, not knowing who your RG is by now doesn't look good. Especially when Wes "almost" beat out Chester for the starting job last year(not true, but the entire board believes it). I mean Garland wasn't mentioned in the mix last year, but now Wes, who almost beat out Chester can't beat out Garland? Also we just signed a Ot/OG in the past 24 hours so that clearly shows to an open mind that he's not ready to ride with what we have. Indecision, switching positions, and bringing in lineman in the middle of preseason? We aren't bringing in any defensive vets.

i would be suprised if wes weren't the week 1 starter, he's not much of a road grader but he's shown himself to be proficient in pass blocking at RG, which was a weakness in our oline last season...as far as tialavea converting i see it as a sign of using what we have and not going out to find and coach up an extra backup swing tackle. we're likely to never see dj unless we're in a heavy run formation or goaline. as for our newest signee mr.pasztor, i think he'll be a great backup for levitre at the LG position but he looks to be a swiss army knife o-lineman who can fill in at LG,RG, or even some RT. I did some light scouting into our latest hoss and he looked like a straight up boulder back in '15 playing to alex mack's left. this guy has country strong written all over him...lateral movement and off the ball push were two of the most glaring weaknesses in his game but i think he can be coached up in that regard...just like with any o-line health is key but i believe many people on this board are undervaluing the depth of our interior linemen.

I think Quinn loves competition and is letting the guys battle it out until probably after the 3rd preseason game...he's already said that he knows who the favorite for the position is so he's making them try to outshine the other so it makes it seem like an easy decision...Quinn knows how to bring out the best in his players and I think this is just one of his tactics to get he best out of his players

25 minutes ago, yungfalc92 said:

i would be suprised if wes weren't the week 1 starter, he's not much of a road grader but he's shown himself to be proficient in pass blocking at RG, which was a weakness in our oline last season...as far as tialavea converting i see it as a sign of using what we have and not going out to find and coach up an extra backup swing tackle. we're likely to never see dj unless we're in a heavy run formation or goaline. as for our newest signee mr.pasztor, i think he'll be a great backup for levitre at the LG position but he looks to be a swiss army knife o-lineman who can fill in at LG,RG, or even some RT. I did some light scouting into our latest hoss and he looked like a straight up boulder back in '15 playing to alex mack's left. this guy has country strong written all over him...lateral movement and off the ball push were two of the most glaring weaknesses in his game but i think he can be coached up in that regard...just like with any o-line health is key but i believe many people on this board are undervaluing the depth of our interior linemen.

Of course people are undervaluing the depth at inside oline. Other than Galand noone has an NFL snap on their resume. Their is a reason we kept bringing in vet guards only they kept retiring. We want and still need a true veteran guard. And I said pretty much the same thing about Pasztor.

as far as tialavea converting i see it as a sign of using what we have and not going out to find and coach up an extra backup swing tackle.

That is a bit of a contradiction when your next sentence is about the swing tackle we just signed. lol. just playing with you.

15 minutes ago, Captain Insano said:

I think Quinn loves competition and is letting the guys battle it out until probably after the 3rd preseason game...he's already said that he knows who the favorite for the position is so he's making them try to outshine the other so it makes it seem like an easy decision...Quinn knows how to bring out the best in his players and I think this is just one of his tactics to get he best out of his players

The best way I've heard that put.

The O-line is definitely the most vulnerable part of the team. Luckily, with so many offensive weapons, it makes their jobs easier. They should be fine as long their aren't any significant injuries (like 2 guys go down for the whole season). I'm not worried, but I also know that if the O-line doesn't stay healthy, that could hurt the team badly

Just because Quinn won't tell us who the starting RG is doesn't mean he doesn't know who it is. Think that if Schweitzer wasn't the one, they would have done FA & the draft much differently.

Think that the starting 5 w/ Schweitzer, plus new guy and Garland is as solid as any OLine + depth out there. 

2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Just because Quinn won't tell us who the starting RG is doesn't mean he doesn't know who it is. Think that if Schweitzer wasn't the one, they would have done FA & the draft much differently.

Think that the starting 5 w/ Schweitzer, plus new guy and Garland is as solid as any OLine + depth out there. 

I am feeling it too.

I think you're WAY overreacting. WAY. To make this statement:

"It's just obvious to see that we do not have the talent on our offensive line that we need to be as close to unbeatable as possible."

Is a major overreaction considering we only lost Chester, arguably the worst RG in the league last year. We have 80% of the starting OL that was apart of the 7th best scoring offense of all time. 

Somehow, yall always seem to take a coach not telling every single detail as something overblown. Now Quinn doesn't like his OL situation because he's bringing a player in? A few of us wanted Pasztor when he became available in March. Didn't know he wasn't healthy. I thought he was a good player that would improve the team. I don't see that as an indictment that our OL is in trouble now. He's now the swing tackle/utility backup we didn't have. How often did we use a swing tackle last year? 

Don't downplay Levitre to try and boost your argument. How many penalties did he have last year? Yes, he had a rough 2015. Who wouldn't when you spent your entire offseason on a different team, only to be traded after the last PS game was played? Levitre was steady all year last year. We have one of the best Centers and two bookend Tackles. RG is the only spot open but just because DQ hasn't named a starter doesn't mean we don't have one. We haven't even played our second PS game and it's time to panic? What? You don't know if we have a starting caliber RG because one hasn't been named, not because you've actually watched the games. It was quite clear, the gap between Schweitzer and Garland last game. I think it will be even more clear this game with more snaps. Continued competition isn't a bad thing as long as it's not disrupting the flow of the offense. Letting Garland compete to the end prepares him for being the primary back up interior OL. He's the only one in this competition that has taken snaps at Center by the way. And Schweitzer almost beating out Chester last year is true. Chester won out due to familiarity and continuity, which proved valuable as we saw. Plus, Wes wasn't there just yet

I think this thread is a major overreaction. It's been a long offseason. Pre-season is annoying. But once the season starts, this will be a bit hilarious to think back on. 

I think our OL is as good as it's ever been.. Even better than last year.. Or should I say will be this coming season.... JMO,, This is from top to bottom , the best Falcon team ever assembled.. Even better than last year. Yes,,, I'm right,, if we can just stay healthy in the positions that are so hard to fill.