Question about tailgating at Mercedes-Benz Stadium

Just what are the real policies at M-B Stadium? I ask because I recently went to Lot 29 at SunTrust Stadium for a Braves game.

Lot 29, which is about 1/2 mile from the Braves' stadium, is designated for tailgating before the Braves games. I checked the Braves official website before going regarding the rules for the parking lots, specifically Lot 29; no mention of any prohibitions on pop-up tents, grills, or flags/banners in the lot. Got there, set up our tailgate equipment and flag pole on the perimeter of the lot, like we were supposed to. Then the parking lot attendants swooped in to inform us that no tents, charcoal grills (fortunately, we had gas), or banners of any kind - including the American flag or any Braves banners, were allowed in their lot. They also said if I refused, I'd be arrested (and they had some uniformed muscle out there to back it.) To say the least, I was dumfounded. I suppose I could have become a First Amendment martyr, but in the end I caved. I and my friends baked for about four hours in the sun before going into the Braves' stadium, somewhat sunburned, worst for wear, and still POed. Also, to say the least, we're never going to another Braves game. This was just BS. (I did complain in writing to the Braves; as expected, no response.)

I've had some really great tailgates in the past at Lot-A prior to the Falcons games. But a new stadium may mean new realities. Obviously, what is printed on a team's website is not definitive, so folks, you might want to be prepared for some surprises, both inside and outside the stadium.

Lot K is supposed to be the best tailgating lot at MB stadium -- especially for those entering Gate 4 on the southeast side of the stadium.  

It is between Mitchell and MLK and is the premier tailgating area adjacent to those stuck down in the gulch.

22 minutes ago, GTBF54 said:

Hopefully the PC police will be kinder at the Falcons tailgates......... Bummer for you guys at the Braves........ BTW is that a private Lot #29 ?...........

I was informed that the lot is a part of the SunTrust Stadium complex. The Braves contracted the operations of the parking lots to some outside company; they're the ones who came up with the draconian rules. Doesn't matter - the Braves organization is still ultimately responsible.

1 hour ago, ATLwahoo said:

99% of the lots used for Falcons games aren't owned or controlled by the team. Those operators set the policies for tailgating. The best thing to do is to contact the lot operators to find out.

This is true for everything up till now. Very few private lots left since the new stadium built. We still do not have a permanent spot secured at this point for this season and alot of our crew has tailgated for 15 or more years. Nothing about tailgating is clear at this point 

10 hours ago, FulC0 said:

Lot K is the best spot for tailgating at the new dome (unless you want to be down in the Gulch, where there is no pedestrian access to the new dome).

We used to be in K. Really great lot. Wasn't nuts about the gravel tho. We're in P this year which is just about 100 yards or so farther away and paved with some shady trees. The spaces are not as compressed as other lots, so there should be room for tents.

On the parking purchase site it denotes which lots allow tailgating, and the icon is a little charcoal grill. So I'm assuming there won't be any surprises. One of the first things Blank did when he bought the team was poll the fans about what could be improved. Tailgating was a BIG request. There was literally ZILCH before AB bought the team. So, I'm assuming he wouldn't screw us over on that one.

1 minute ago, since68andcounting said:

Tailgating was a BIG request. There was literally ZILCH before AB bought the team. So, I'm assuming he wouldn't screw us over on that one.

I wonder how much tailgating they're planning for, given the higher price of tickets?  I also wonder if the fans that felt screwed over with the new ticket prices will bother tailgating on site in the future.

1 minute ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

I wonder how much tailgating they're planning for, given the higher price of tickets?  I also wonder if the fans that felt screwed over with the new ticket prices will bother tailgating on site in the future.

Well, it's still cheaper to tailgate than eat/drink inside. Even with the fan friendly pricing. I don't think they should expect any different.

You know what they say about assuming. I hope there aren't any surprises.

You can bet the team office will get an earful if it's anything like what the OP said about the Braves. WTF??? No BRAVES banners???

6 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

Well, it's still cheaper to tailgate than eat/drink inside. Even with the fan friendly pricing. I don't think they should expect any different.

You know what they say about assuming. I hope there aren't any surprises.

You can bet the team office will get an earful if it's anything like what the OP said about the Braves. WTF??? No BRAVES banners??? 

The baseball team has been steadily moving towards a sanitized gameday experience.  Baseball overall is a dying sport.

1 hour ago, since68andcounting said:

We used to be in K. Really great lot. Wasn't nuts about the gravel tho. We're in P this year which is just about 100 yards or so farther away and paved with some shady trees. The spaces are not as compressed as other lots, so there should be room for tents.

On the parking purchase site it denotes which lots allow tailgating, and the icon is a little charcoal grill. So I'm assuming there won't be any surprises. One of the first things Blank did when he bought the team was poll the fans about what could be improved. Tailgating was a BIG request. There was literally ZILCH before AB bought the team. So, I'm assuming he wouldn't screw us over on that one.

I'm also in Lot P.     There has always been great tailgating in that lot during the Ga Dome games - so I'm assuming it will be the same this year.   They normally have Port-A Potties there as well if you care to use them.

Lot C is where we parked the past few years - and the tailgating there is pretty good.

1 hour ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

except for just a few years, before AB bought the team, there weren't enough ACTIVE fans to HAVE a decent tailgate party  :lol::lol:

4 minutes ago, papachaz said:

except for just a few years, before AB bought the team, there weren't enough ACTIVE fans to HAVE a decent tailgate party  :lol::lol:

I hope he doesn't scare away the active fans in exchange for the rich people buying all the tickets.  The soul of the team is the fans that can't afford to go anymore.

Just now, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

I hope he doesn't scare away the active fans in exchange for the rich people buying all the tickets.  The soul of the team is the fans that can't afford to go anymore.

I can name a few I know that for the time being are saying they'll never worry about going to a game again thanks to the PSL. Me included. Of course I haven't been able to afford to go to a game for several years already anyway.....

Just now, papachaz said:

I can name a few I know that for the time being are saying they'll never worry about going to a game again thanks to the PSL. Me included. Of course I haven't been able to afford to go to a game for several years already anyway.....

Going to one or two games just got alot harder.  I bought tickets for 2 games, and I'm blown away by the fees alone.  Something's got to give, and at some point people won't be willing to pay, especially when prices go up after year 3, and ticketholders/Ticketmaster will still want to still make a profit off secondary sales.

Just now, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Going to one or two games just got alot harder.  I bought tickets for 2 games, and I'm blown away by the fees alone.  Something's got to give, and at some point people won't be willing to pay, especially when prices go up after year 3, and ticketholders/Ticketmaster will still want to still make a profit off secondary sales.

I remember when Arthur bought the team, and DROPPED the price of tickets to get people to come. 

Now, I DO realize that having a consistantly better team on the field MERITS paying more to see them. I also realize how it's to the point a lot of people I know just can't pay what it costs, and when weighing the cost, the time, the traffic in comparison with sitting on my comfy couch, NOT standing in line at my refrigerator or bathroom.........no contest, LOL

10 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

That was my reason for finally purchasing a PSL.     I was just going to pick a game or two to go to each year, but the secondary market with the fees were outrageous.  Granted the initial cost of the PSL was no fun.  Plus my son (age 10) loves going and each game is a memory he and I can share.    

4 minutes ago, notthatcool said:

That was my reason for finally purchasing a PSL.     I was just going to pick a game or two to go to each year, but the secondary market with the fees were outrageous.  Granted the initial cost of the PSL was no fun.  Plus my son (age 10) loves going and each game is a memory he and I can share.    

I'd rather pay out the nose for certain games than sign a contract and be on the hook when season ticket prices rise in 2 years, and possibly lose the seat if I can't afford tickets one of those 30 years.  But to each his own.  Seems like a cash grab by the team though.

26 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

I'd rather pay out the nose for certain games than sign a contract and be on the hook when season ticket prices rise in 2 years, and possibly lose the seat if I can't afford tickets one of those 30 years.  But to each his own.  Seems like a cash grab by the team though.

just my thoughts, but to me, if I went in a restaurant for example,  and the meal I wanted was say $12.....then they wanted to charge me EXTRA for the right to use the table I was sitting at....yeah, I'd say no thanks

40 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

or I can sell the ones I don't use for a little profit to help pay for the PSL and ticket cost 

I'm no fan of the PSL btw