SI Article About Matt Ryan and the Falcons

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else still feel literally nauseous when reminded of the SB? I've been able to inch back into Falcons coverage over the past couple months, but I every time I'm reminded of the SB loss, I basically just feel a jolt of misery.

I think we're going to be good this year, but what sucks is we literally were right there, it was done, we were about to demolish the most storied team in NFL history and then poof it's gone. The odds of us ever getting back to a situation like that seem so remote after following this team for the past 15+ years. Ugh...

Anyway, not sure what the point of my post was but figured I'd rant.

9 minutes ago, fincavigia said:

Does anyone else still feel literally nauseous when reminded of the SB?

Personally, I'm getting tired of the trolls with the 28-3 memes on facebook, etc. whenever the Falcons players or team is mentioned.

2 hours ago, fincavigia said:

Does anyone else still feel literally nauseous when reminded of the SB? I've been able to inch back into Falcons coverage over the past couple months, but I every time I'm reminded of the SB loss, I basically just feel a jolt of misery.

I think we're going to be good this year, but what sucks is we literally were right there, it was done, we were about to demolish the most storied team in NFL history and then poof it's gone. The odds of us ever getting back to a situation like that seem so remote after following this team for the past 15+ years. Ugh...

Anyway, not sure what the point of my post was but figured I'd rant.

This hurts waaaaaaaaaay worse than 1998. At least in that game I never really thought we had a chance. But to have it in you hand, showing no sign of pulse, and then schemed away? Yeah. That blows. Even if we win the next one, that will be the one that got away.

Our team way overachieved with a record 4 rookies starting for us in Super Bowl.

we have nothing to be ashamed of. Its the Patriots who should be ashamed, almost losing to a team that wasn't even considered a playoff team let alone contender.

4 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Our team way overachieved with a record 4 rookies starting for us in Super Bowl.

we have nothing to be ashamed of. Its the Patriots who should be ashamed, almost losing to a team that wasn't even considered a playoff team let alone contender.

Yes. Before the season the Falcons were picked to finish 7-9, 6-10, and so on. They got hot at the right moment then petered out. There will be no peter this time.

14 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Yes. Before the season the Falcons were picked to finish 7-9, 6-10, and so on. They got hot at the right moment then petered out. There will be no peter this time.

It's not so much that we have anything to be ashamed of; it's just that missed opportunity hurts so bad as a fan, especially when you don't know if you are ever going to get that chance again in your lifetime. I can only imagine how that's got to feel for the players and staff.

All that said, I think we're going to have a good season this year.

33 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Going into the 98 season, I never thought the Falcons would be going to the Super Bowl and have a crazy 14-2 year. They didn't go again until nearly 20 years later. I don't take anything for granted, it was a missed opportunity and it may not come again for a long time. But there are high expectations now as this team is the most loaded it's ever been with Ryan at the helm.

56 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I'm sorry can you help explain this a little bit?  Although the Falcons have had a spotty past, they were the NFC powerhouse last year.  Top caliber team, insane offense, and they proved their net worth through the divisional and NFCCG.  If the Falcons were the 6th seed and had miracle after miracle to get to the SB, then yeah I could see your point, but the Falcons were a playoff contender for majority of the 2016 season, thats for certain.  

43 minutes ago, fincavigia said:

It's not so much that we have anything to be ashamed of; it's just that missed opportunity hurts so bad as a fan, especially when you don't know if you are ever going to get that chance again in your lifetime. I can only imagine how that's got to feel for the players and staff.

All that said, I think we're going to have a good season this year.

No doubt it would have been real special last year. They deserved their shot and down the stretch were the best team in the NFL.

55 minutes ago, dozenoysters said:

I'm sorry can you help explain this a little bit?  Although the Falcons have had a spotty past, they were the NFC powerhouse last year.  Top caliber team, insane offense, and they proved their net worth through the divisional and NFCCG.  If the Falcons were the 6th seed and had miracle after miracle to get to the SB, then yeah I could see your point, but the Falcons were a playoff contender for majority of the 2016 season, thats for certain.  

It's amazing to me that Pats fans can't enjoy their Super bowl wins without coming across as ARROGANT F***S! :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, dozenoysters said:

The narrative is the Falcons players, who were not even predicted to have a winning record or make the playoffs by most pundits, with 4 rookie starters on defense ( one of them an undrafted free agent) are somehow supposed to feel bad about having bludgeoned Tom Brady and the Patriots until their coaching staff blew the game by failing to run clock down with a few running plays and kick the chip shot FG putting game out of reach for Patriots.

The narrative is foolish. The Falcons players outplayed the Patriot players. The Falcons QB played better than the Patriots QB ( unless you think wins are anQB stat) the Falcons #26th ranked defense in points allowed and yards held Tom Brady to 10 points on two TD passes for 3 1/2 quarters ( one of his TDs was to Falcon defender)  and Matt Ryan played against the NFLs # 1 rated defense in points allowed and had you in checkmate after that all world throw to Julio Jones with game on line.

no, the Falcons players have zero to be ashamed about. They way overachieved. Now, the Falcons coaches may, but that's not what I'm saying. 

Im saying if either team should be emabarrsed it should be the Patriots rather than the Falcons. Brady getting eaten alive in Super Bowl by a defense full of rookies and second year players while having the #1 rated defense in points backing him up would have have been hard to overcome.  

4 hours ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Going into the 98 season, I never thought the Falcons would be going to the Super Bowl and have a crazy 14-2 year. They didn't go again until nearly 20 years later. I don't take anything for granted, it was a missed opportunity and it may not come again for a long time. But there are high expectations now as this team is the most loaded it's ever been with Ryan at the helm.

I'm with you but that's the opposite side of the argument. I'm speaking from the teams perspctive, not the fans perspective.

We keep seeing this garbage narrative about Falcons *team* being embarrassed after the loss and therefore having a down year.  This highly annoying narrative is ridiculous. This young Falcons defense way overachieved and knows it can get way better. 

i guaranty you at this point in time all they are thinking about is "I wonder just how good we can be" and no "oh shucks, we will neve overcome the embarrassment of last year"

4 hours ago, gazoo said:

Okay, I'm usually with you, but by the time the SB rolled around it was obvious that we were not the mediocre team that many expected before the season.

I mean we kicked some serious a$$ for the first 10+ quarters in the playoffs last season.

16 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

Okay, I'm usually with you, but by the time the SB rolled around it was obvious that we were not the mediocre team that many expected before the season.

I mean we kicked some serious a$$ for the first 10+ quarters in the playoffs last season.

I liken this to a parent telling his son who recently won a national chess match going down to 5 pieces left on the chess board against the world champion chess player much older than him that he should be ashamed he ultimately lost. Nonsense. He way overachieved, he should be proud. 

Proud is not same as content. I have tired of this garbage narrative this team should, at this point in time going into another season, be ashamed of how they played last year.  They should be period, very proud. In fact, it was coaching that blew the game, they players had it won.

if you overachieve you should never be ashamed you didn't win. 4 rookies starting was an NFL record.....its never happened before. 

5 hours ago, gazoo said:

Nope. Can't spin this. Worst choke job of all time. It's whatever though. Can't do **** about it except win it all this year. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Nope. Can't spin this. Worst choke job of all time. It's whatever though. Can't do **** about it except win it all this year. 

Emotion < Facts

Falcons players had the game won, their coaches blew it. There is ZERO reason for these Falcons players to be ashamed of playing the world champions all the way down to the wire and actually having them in checkmate until coaches playcalling blew it.

17 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

He's such a biased homer. Leading up to the Superbowl he's was saying how our defense was so much better than the 27th ranking we had in the regular season due to the progression of the young talent. 

Then when debating some Pats fans about who's was better in the Superbowl between Ryan and Brady he kept bringing up how Brady struggled against the 27th ranked defense for 3 straight quarters. Lol. 

Gazoo should apply to be a PR rep for the Falcons. Id happily be a reference for him. 

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Emotion < Facts

Falcons players had the game won, their coaches blew it. There is ZERO reason for these Falcons players to be ashamed of playing the world champions all the way down to the wire and actually having them in checkmate until coaches playcalling blew it.

Emotion < Facts. Lol what? 

Everyone blew it. Did the coaching staff make Freeman miss the block? Or Matthews to hold? 

It's fact that it was the worst choke in the history of the Superbowl. 

But this is just pointless talking about it. New season which means an opportunity to make it right. 

1 minute ago, Bobby.Digital said:

He's such a biased homer. Leading up to the Superbowl he's was saying how our defense was so much better than the 27th ranking we had in the regular season due to the progression of the young talent. 

Then when debating some Pats fans about who's was better in the Superbowl between Ryan and Brady he kept bringing up how Brady struggled against the 27th ranked defense for 3 straight quarters. Lol. 

Gazoo should apply to be a PR rep for the Falcons. Id happily be a reference for him. 

You should be a Patriots cheerleader.

Its clear many are still hurting for the loss so I refuse to argue with emotion 

5 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Emotion < Facts. Lol what? 

Everyone blew it. Did the coaching staff make Freeman miss the block? Or Matthews to hold? 

It's fact that it was the worst choke in the history of the Superbowl. 

But this is just pointless talking about it. New season which means an opportunity to make it right. 

Anger is emotion. For whatever reason which I assume is butt hurt  you are unable to admit that the Falcons players had the Patriots beat until tha stupid playcalling. So instead of placing blame where it belongs which is on coaches, you blame the players and buy into this garbage narrative the players should be ashamed

Just now, gazoo said:

Anger is emotion. For whatever reason which I assume is butt hurt  you are unable to admit that the Falcons players had the Patriots beat until tha stupid playcalling. So instead of placing blame where it belongs which is on coaches, you blame the players.  

Who says Im angry? Even though I've been adamant that passing on 2nd and 11 was one of the dumbest play calls ever there was still no guarantee Bryant would have made the FG.

The Falcons as a team choked but I would also say the coaches deserve most of the blame.  

But I'm not going to continue discussing this with you. Your as biased as they come. I call you the team mom for a reason.