Which teams will have a better defense than us this season?

My Dougie

Our starting defensive tackles will be Poe and Grady Jarrett. How many teams have a better pair of starting DTs? Maybe a couple. Backing them up will be Hageman and Crawford. That has to be one of the best DT groups in the League. 

In base defense, I guess Clayborn and Reed will start...and Beasley and McKinley will be playing in nickel. Shelby and Upshaw will back those guys up and give them some rest. When you look at the defensive line as a whole, I would bet it's possibly a top 5 D-line. 

Our starting linebackers will be Deion Jones, Campbell, and maybe Riley. I'd say definitely in the top half of the League as well...maybe top 10. Reynolds, Ishmael, and Grace provide some depth. I'd say this is the weakest part of our defense...and it's not weak. Probably top half of the League. 

I'd bet our secondary is top 5 in the League easily. Trufant and Alford have developed into one of the best CB duos in the league. Poole is solid at nickel. Keanu and Allen are probably a top 10 starting safety duo. 

The Vikings probably have a better defense. Denver. Seattle. Houston. We were in the bottom 1/3 last year but I see us being in the top 1/3 this year.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

Add Panthers to the list of better defenses. But Falcons are trending up, no denying that.

I definitely thought about including your team. Your linebackers are definitely better. How would you compare your second and D-line to ours?

I agree the Panthers defense is not better.  I mean we torched their defense last year and their secondary is nothing to write home about.  We are loaded and I truly feel that we will be hard to score on this year.  And even if a team does score on us they will have a hard time keeping up with our offense while trying to score on our fast and rugged defense this year. 

23 minutes ago, My Dougie said:

I definitely thought about including your team. Your linebackers are definitely better. How would you compare your second and D-line to ours?

No they're not. TD is ancient and Luke is one more concussion from being Forrest Gump.

I'll say on paper the front sevens are equal but in different ways. Carolina is a good concussion from sucking at LB and I would not put their secondary in front of ours. Our pass rush will actually be better this year. 

57 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

Add Panthers to the list of better defenses. But Falcons are trending up, no denying that.

Care to wager on end of season rank? Nothing large, maybe a pizza or steak house GC?

A lot of times we get a bit too  optimistic with regards to our expectations of unproven players. Crawford, Hageman, Reed, Shelby, Riley are relatively unproven commodities... it's easy for us to be excited,  but understand that most teams have the same level of excitement about their team heading into the season 

Edited by ramonezy

15 minutes ago, odyssey11 said:

I agree the Panthers defense is not better.  I mean we torched their defense last year and their secondary is nothing to write home about.  We are loaded and I truly feel that we will be hard to score on this year.  And even if a team does score on us they will have a hard time keeping up with our offense while trying to score on our fast and rugged defense this year. 

Thank you. We targeted and destroyed Thomas Davis in both games. I saw the back of that #58 jersey reaching and running behind several Falcon TE's and RB's.

16 minutes ago, ramonezy said:

A lot of times we get a bit too  optimistic with regards to our expectations of unproven players. Crawford, Hageman, Reed, Shelby, Riley are relatively unproven commodities... it's easy for us to be excited,  but understand that most teams have the same level of excitement about their team heading into the season 

He can be optimistic on his board , lol he can talk about that to his fellow panthers fans all he wants . But we also have jarret, beasley , jones, and campbell and dontari poe

20 minutes ago, The Great American said:

I think OP has over-rated our defense.  Preseason power rankings for our defense is #22.  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705056-power-ranking-all-32-nfl-defenses-post-draft

I'd be excited if we finished in the mid-teens.   

+1, I love optimism but, this thread feels like seeding the fields for disappointment. 

1 hour ago, SamMills51 said:

If our defense is ranked higher at the end of the year you have to make Deon Jones your avatar. But if the panthers defense is ranked higher at the end of the year you can choose my avatar.

Deal??

12 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

+1, I love optimism but, this thread feels like seeding the fields for disappointment. 

Reminds me of last year when several people here (some of the same people talking now) said we'd lucky to be a playoff team. Write it down.

36 minutes ago, The Great American said:

I think OP has over-rated our defense.  Preseason power rankings for our defense is #22.  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705056-power-ranking-all-32-nfl-defenses-post-draft

Some of these rankings seem off.....Denver, Seattle, NE and Houston I guess are OK....but KC and Baltimore seem high and yes, the Falcons seem a bit low...I would put them between 12 and 15.....Jacksonville at 12 ?...nah.....

2 hours ago, The Great American said:

I think we're headed in the right direction, but don't think we're going to be as good as folks think. I'd say maybe Top 15-18 range. But middle of the road is still a big improvement from near bottom of the league. As long as our offense doesn't take too bad of a drop then we will still be near the top of the league.

Edited by MD-FalconFan13

41 minutes ago, The Great American said:

Not going to happen.  We are BETTER than that.  Raise your expectations and have confidence!

5 minutes ago, Just a Bills fan said:

Some of these rankings seem off.....Denver, Seattle, NE and Houston I guess are OK....but KC and Baltimore seem high and yes, the Falcons seem a bit low...I would put them between 12 and 15.....Jacksonville at 12 ?...nah.....

Are you serious? KC is easily one of the top as is Bmore. I just think folks are getting carried away with their expectations. We are a developing defense. Several of our key positions are still very young and inexperienced. There will be mistakes. But just like last season they will get better as the season progresses. IMO we're still a year or two away from being a truly great defense.

Edited by MD-FalconFan13

1 hour ago, My Dougie said:

Your secondary gets the edge, but I wouldn't say our corners are far behind either. They finished last season strong and are having a lights out training camp and preseason. I remember reading an article from Jeremy Igo on how our first team secondary was in press most of their preseason snaps and dominated:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/08/10/carolina-panthers-secondary/

The Panthers starting secondary was instrumental in the two consecutive 3 and outs they handed the Texans offense. This fact can be illustrated on the very first play of the game. James Bradberry and Daryl Worley effective pressed the Houston receivers at the line (including Deandre Hopkins), effectively taking them out of the play.

giphy.gif

This was new, very new. Last season we did not see the corners press very often. Concerns over giving up a big play outweighed the possible benefit. Now with both Worley and Bradberry both a year older, a year wise, defensive coordinator Steve Wilks will not have his aggressive play calling hampered. He is now free to unleash the Carolina Panthers’ dominant front seven as he sees fit. Wilks called blitzes in each of the first two Texans’ drives. That is not a coincidence.

Defensive line, ours overall is probably far superior in all honesty. 

Defensive tackles, Kawann Short is a beast, and so is Star Lotulelei. Both showed why in the preseason opener, as KK dominated nearly every snap and Lotulelei pushed down two offensive lineman at the same time for Luke Kuechly to come in and make the tackle in the backfield. Vernon Butler reportedly is playing lights out at camp, and Kyle Love is as servicable and good as it gets. Very deep and strong part of our line.

Addison should be taking on a larger role and seeing his sack numbers increase by a lot, considering he did get 9.5 sacks after missing two games and not getting much playing time until after the bye week in week 7. Peppers is back, and he's no slouch. Johnson still makes an impact. Horton's a run stuffing monster. Hall is a rookie with a lot of upside, and did some good things in the preseason. 

Addison's probably the closest comparison to a "Vic Beasley" of our team, but we have a lot of depth and talent everywhere. 

Most Panther fans expect a top 5 defense at the least. We don't consider that wishful thinking. I agree with that sentiment too.

30 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

If our defense is ranked higher at the end of the year you have to make Deon Jones your avatar. But if the panthers defense is ranked higher at the end of the year you can choose my avatar.

Deal??

For sure. I'll keep this in mind. I think Panthers are a lock as a top 5 defense already. Most Panther fans feel the same way.

10 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Are you serious? KC is easily one of the top as is Bmore. I just think folks are getting carried away with their expectations. We are a developing defense. Several of our key positions are still very young and inexperienced. There will be mistakes. But just like last season they will get better as the season progresses. IMO we're still a year or two away from being a truly great defense.

I would be willing to bet that both KC and Baltimore finish outside the top 10 Ds this year....Baltimore may make it, but IMO, it will be because they are playing many weak offense...Jacksonville, 2X Browns, Bears, Texans.....

1 hour ago, droopy1592 said:

I'll say on paper the front sevens are equal but in different ways. Carolina is a good concussion from sucking at LB and I would not put their secondary in front of ours.

Shaq Thompson and even Thomas Davis say hello.

And don't forget, there's a reason Carolina's known to have the deepest LB roster in the league. David Mayo's no slouch either:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-car-tb-grades

Top defensive grades:

LB David Mayo, 87.2

CB James Bradberry, 83.2

DT Kawann Short, 80.6

DT Star Lotulelei, 79.0

Big plays bottled up the Bucs — and has Carolina been using the wrong linebacker to back up Kuechly?

The Panthers’ defense were able to force a few big plays to end Bucs drives, but the play of LB David Mayo was most notable, flashing the kind of ability he showed in college and suggesting that maybe the Panthers have had the wrong linebacker starting in place of Luke Kuechly with A.J Klein. Mayo had a team-high four defensive stops despite playing just 21 snaps, and allowed only five yards in coverage.