Will Vic Beasley play in the base defense

My Dougie

I think the plan is to have him on the field as much as possible while maximizing his effectiveness. I can't imagine them taking his hand out of the dirt on passing downs. He was way too effective off the edge for us to pull him away from it too much.

That doesn't mean his hand will be in the dirt more often. I could see him standing up on obvious run downs and mixing it up quite a bit throughout the game for less obvious downs.

My guess. While the game is tight and higher likelihood of run, he will stand up more often. Once we get a lead, 3rd downs, in 2 minute situations, or against pass happy teams, his hand will be in the dirt more often.

7 hours ago, pzummo said:

I think the plan is to have him on the field as much as possible while maximizing his effectiveness. I can't imagine them taking his hand out of the dirt on passing downs. He was way too effective off the edge for us to pull him away from it too much.

That doesn't mean his hand will be in the dirt more often. I could see him standing up on obvious run downs and mixing it up quite a bit throughout the game for less obvious downs.

My guess. While the game is tight and higher likelihood of run, he will stand up more often. Once we get a lead, 3rd downs, in 2 minute situations, or against pass happy teams, his hand will be in the dirt more often.

^^This

Beasely will play in Base, and will also play in just about every other variant.

He can play in almost any alignment and be effective.

Vic is just going to be a utility front seven piece. He can rush with his hand in the dirt. He can stand up and rush. He can roam and find a lane. Adding Poe and Takk helps give him the room to do so. As others have said, he opened the Miami game in the base standing up then went down to rush. He'll be more LB than DE. I truly think we'll see more "5-2/3-4" base looks this year. That's what we came out in to start the game if you look at it that way. 

Consider this, we played in nickel defense around 70% of the game last year, and Beasley only played around 60% of all the defensive snaps. Do the math. That's already at least 10% of the time that he isn't on the field as the valuable nickel DE we need him to be. It's highly likely that Beasley plays a higher percentage of snaps this year; as a rookie he played around 50% and increased that to the around 60% he played last year. I'm not going to predict he plays 70% this year just based on that trend, but I do think he ends up with more than 60% this year.

But that being said, still don't expect to see him on the field as a LB much at all. He's more valuable as a nickel pass rushing DE and we play that position more than he's been on the field so far in his career. Which means one of our other DE's is manning that nickel DE when he's getting his rest. I'd rather just use Campbell for every SLB snap and keep Vic fresh to rush the QB.

10 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

We started Miami game with 3 LBs and he was LDE. Next play he was outside LB.

Yeah Beasley and Reed were standing up and I think Upshaw Poe and Jarrett had their hands in the dirt with Jones and Campbell behind them isn't that 3-4