Good Read Re: MR2's Contract

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/8/11/16125696/will-matt-ryan-be-the-next-beneficiary-of-a-new-contract-with-the-falcons

Will Matt Ryan be the next beneficiary of a new contract with the Falcons?

After Devonta Freeman, he’s a logical choice.

by Dave Choate Aug 11, 2017, 5:00pm EDT

With Devonta Freeman’s extension done, the Falcons have most of their star players locked up for the near future, which is truly excellent. There will be a wave of contract extensions coming up after the 2018 season, and the Falcons will need to decide what to do with their free agent class after this season, including $10 million man Dontari Poe. That means the Falcons may want to free up some money, particularly if the cap doesn’t soar the way we’d anticipate.

One of the logical ways to do that is to extend Matt Ryan, reigning MVP and franchise quarterback, to mitigate his cap hit in 2018 and immediately beyond. It’s a possibility that Ryan and the team have clearly communicated about.

ESPN’s Vaughn McClure had a piece yesterday about this very topic. Ryan has a $23.75 million cap hit for 2017 and a $21.65 million cap hit in 2018, though just $2.4 million of that would be dead money if the Falcons cut Ryan, which they’re never going to do. They’re also not going to let him get to free agency, so Ryan is (rightly) not overly worried about the status of his contract.

"I'm never worried too much about that," Ryan recently told ESPN regarding his contract situation. "I've always tried to let the business people handle the business and for me, just try and take care of what I can control, and that's playing good and preparing the right way. And I've always felt like if you do that, the business side of it will take care of itself."

The Falcons, however, have a lot more to gain by getting this resolved next offseason, especially if Poe shows out and the team wants to bring him back. The likelihood that they’ll be working with plenty of cap space should not deter them from locking up their franchise guy for the long haul and adding even more space, especially because the window to contend is firmly propped open at the moment, and should remain so over the next 3-4 years. Ryan’s key to all of that for many reasons, and thus, you should expect to hear his contract being discussed often no later than spring 2018.

I'm hoping Ryan takes a cue from Brady and takes less money for longer sustained team success. I won't begrudge him for wanting to maximize his paydays but giving the front office some flexibility to keep guys like Poe, Vic, Neal, Grady on the roster will keep the team competitive for a loooooong time and build upon his legacy and candidacy for the Hall. 

8 hours ago, shockerfalcon said:

I'm hoping Ryan takes a cue from Brady and takes less money for longer sustained team success. I won't begrudge him for wanting to maximize his paydays but giving the front office some flexibility to keep guys like Poe, Vic, Neal, Grady on the roster will keep the team competitive for a loooooong time and build upon his legacy and candidacy for the Hall. 

Brady also has that nice little deal where his wife is an international super model who makes twice his salary every year so he doesn't have to worry about fat contracts. Also the nutritional company he has is used by the Patriots.. he's getting plenty on the side I'm sure..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/12/19/patriots-pay-business-owned-tom-brady-and-partner-with-dubious-past/C4zMzcPDgU62WMMg10qeBL/amp.html

I know this is off topic, but where do these guys all live? Don't most of them (and many retired NFL athletes) live in the same neighborhood in Sugarloaf? Like, where Ron White lives? Isn't Finneran still living near MR2?

Now that I've typed that it sounds a little creepy, but I really am just curious.

3 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Brady also has that nice little deal where his wife is an international super model who makes twice his salary every year so he doesn't have to worry about fat contracts. Also the nutritional company he has is used by the Patriots.. he's getting plenty on the side I'm sure..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/12/19/patriots-pay-business-owned-tom-brady-and-partner-with-dubious-past/C4zMzcPDgU62WMMg10qeBL/amp.html

True. Matt will get paid, but he's also aware of the legacy he's created. Don't discount that about Brady as well. Matt is approaching the "is he a HOF guy?" Point in his career, he's resurrected a franchise (like Brady), won ROY, leads every team QB stat category (like Brady), won MVP (like Brady). All he's missing is a ring.  And he's rich. Matt was one of the last big rookie QB deals. So will he hometown discount? Most likely. 

20 hours ago, MSalmon said:

True. Matt will get paid, but he's also aware of the legacy he's created. Don't discount that about Brady as well. Matt is approaching the "is he a HOF guy?" Point in his career, he's resurrected a franchise (like Brady), won ROY, leads every team QB stat category (like Brady), won MVP (like Brady). All he's missing is a ring.  And he's rich. Matt was one of the last big rookie QB deals. So will he hometown discount? Most likely. 

I think that is extremely hopeful. He's represented by Tom Condon, not exactly known for getting below market value and every contract MR has ever got has reset the market for QB's.

I'd expect his contract to be in the $26-$28m per year range. I'd love it if that isn't the case, but I just can't see anything other than MR being the highest paid player in the league.

On 8/12/2017 at 8:03 AM, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Brady basically gets money from the patriots in other ways with his TB12 facility plus endorsements