What will we do with Collins?

Keep, cut or trade Collins  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Keep, cut, or trade Collins

• Keep
    • Cut
    • Trade

I haven't had a chance to watch the game since I'm on vacation. I heard he was pretty horrible last night and got beat for a 99 yard TD. Either he doesn't care or he's just that bad. I don't see him having any trade value and I'm not sure why we'd keep him at this point, other than injuries down the road. But even then, there has to be better options. 

No one is going to trade for him since he isn't able to play for more than half the season. 

If I were Quinn I would tell him that he's going to get cut and use the pre-season to make the best evaluation tape you can make for yourself for the other 31 teams in the league. 

As much as many of us would like to see him cut, you can consider this:  If they keep him during the suspension, he does NOT count as being part of the roster and the Falcons don't have to pay him for ten (eleven considering bye) weeks.  If he comes back fresh and can get rehab, he still might be salvageable. If not, then cut him at that time.  

3 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Except send a message that poor play along with constantly breaking rules will not be tolerated. Sure he doesn't take a roster spot but he shouldn't be protected by his draft position. 

He's not being protected by his draft position. He could very well still be cut at the end of his suspension, especially if others have stepped up.

3 hours ago, Krosis said:

No one is going to trade for him since he isn't able to play for more than half the season. 

If I were Quinn I would tell him that he's going to get cut and use the pre-season to make the best evaluation tape you can make for yourself for the other 31 teams in the league. 

my first thought on this was, yeah. Then I'm like, why should we waste the snaps our other young guys need letting him set himself up for a job with someone else. Let last years tape do the best it will and give our other guys these game situation snaps

Yes, he didn't play well in one preseason game but you can't just judge him on one bad game.  He had pretty good coverage on TD play but the receiver shoved him when the ball was in the air to get that extra separation.  

He was valuable down the stretch in the SB run last year.  He will be an insurance policy in the mid-season.  

Unless there is more we don't know, the Falcons will wisely hold onto him for the same reason that you don't commit now about whether you'll carry an umbrella with you ten weeks from now...you wait until you have to make such a decision. 

During the 10-week suspension, he doesn't count toward the 53, and the Falcons don't have to pay him. When the suspension is over, Quinn will know whether he is needed or not. 

He got whipped by 3rd stringers. His head just doesn't seem to be in the game. He will likely be safe until his suspension is up since he doesn't count against the roster limit while he's suspended, but his future is up in the air past that point. 

It will most likely come down to injuries. If we are healthy and the young guys in the secondary have stepped up, then he's toast IMO. If we are getting thin back there he will stick around. 

Personally I don't have any faith in him to turn things around with respects to his substance abuse problems. It was a problem in college, and it remains a problem to this day. He needs help. But he needs to help himself before anyone else can begin to help him. 

Well he has zero trade value in my mind because he got rekt the last two games he has played and is serving a 10 game suspension this year.

Its good for Collins that he won't count against the roster, but lol @ people say it serves no purpose to cut him. It sends a message to the entire team about using PEDS and about being an idiot and failing two drug tests. 

I'd cut him right now, but Quinn is the one who wanted him so i doubt he is going to get rid of his guy this quickly. 

If he could actually play the game of football I'd say keep him and help him get the help or whatever it is he needs. After all he was a 2nd round pick, that being said dude can't play gets burned by anyone and everyone. Can't flip his hips at all. It's time to move on and I think we will in a few weeks once cuts start happening. 

2 hours ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Well he has zero trade value in my mind because he got rekt the last two games he has played and is serving a 10 game suspension this year.

Its good for Collins that he won't count against the roster, but lol @ people say it serves no purpose to cut him. It sends a message to the entire team about using PEDS and about being an idiot and failing two drug tests. 

I'd cut him right now, but Quinn is the one who wanted him so i doubt he is going to get rid of his guy this quickly. 

This. Good post.

22 hours ago, BadMoonRising said:

no reason to cut if he doesn't count against our roster, 

Yep. Wait for the next several weeks to see what kinds of injuries we might incur or how the young guys perform before making a decision. Making a decision earlier than necessary is simply foolish 

19 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Unless there is more we don't know, the Falcons will wisely hold onto him for the same reason that you don't commit now about whether you'll carry an umbrella with you ten weeks from now...you wait until you have to make such a decision. 

During the 10-week suspension, he doesn't count toward the 53, and the Falcons don't have to pay him. When the suspension is over, Quinn will know whether he is needed or not. 

I agree 100%. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Initially I thought they might keep him and just decrease his role next season to see if he'd earn his spot back but after seeing how bad he looked in the preseason against none starters it's clear that he's not the same player without the PED's. I say cut him and move on before we miss out on another player that could actually contribute by keeping Collins in that roster spot.