Per overthecap.com

Freemans cap numbers

2017- 4.42m
2018- 5m
2019-6.7m
2020- 9.5
2021- 9.25
2022- 8.25 (no proration for SB)

the signing bonus can only be prorated over 5 years, which in this case are the first 5.

the final year, 2022, the cap hit is ALL salary. Thus, if we so chose to, we could cut him after 2021 with no cap hit. And if we keep him, i'm sure the 8.25m he's owed would be a steal if he's still producing.

17 minutes ago, Five_Fifs said:

Per overthecap.com

Freemans cap numbers

2017- 4.42m
2018- 5m
2019-6.7m
2020- 9.5
2021- 9.25

the signing bonus can only be prorated over 5 years, which in this case are the first 5.

the final year, 2022, the cap hit is ALL salary. Thus, if we so chose to, we could cut him after 2021 with no cap hit. And if we keep him, i'm sure the 8.25m he's owed would be a steal if he's still producing.

I think he will see a good bit of that contract but that is a steal..such a good contact Tommy D strikes again

On 8/9/2017 at 11:51 AM, falconidae said:

This is an incredible deal for both sides. Free gets a nice chunk of change, cap hits are reasonable for first 3 years. I was wrong earlier in the thread, looks to be backloaded in a good way.

Here's the cap hits for first 3 years, assuming a simple contract, they may have signing bonuses or something else, but going on what was tweeted a few minutes ago:

17  4.3 mil cap hit

18  5.mil cap hit

19  6.75 mil cap hit

guessing next 3 years

20  8 mil 3 SB prorated 5 mil salary

21 9 mil 3 SB prorated 6 mil salary

22 8 mil  no prorated signing bonus, straight salary

29 minutes ago, Five_Fifs said:

Per overthecap.com

Freemans cap numbers

2017- 4.42m
2018- 5m
2019-6.7m
2020- 9.5
2021- 9.25

Cool, I was close.

This contract is as close to perfect as it could have been.  I was not on board for paying Freeman like a #1 back.  It won't be until 2020 that his pay would reflect that of a #1 back.  2017-2019 is our window.  In 2020, we'll have to start paying our defense, and we might have to cut Free loose around then.  If my math is right, cutting him loose in 2020 would save us 3 million against the cap...  6 million if we spread it out between 2020 and 2021.

This should also let us make a reasonable #2 offer to TeCo when his time comes.

27 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Are there any incentives known?

Overthecap is touch and go with listing incentives, so i can't guarantee anything. But it seems like all the money mentioned is accounted for in salary and/or bonuses

43 minutes ago, robertap said:

This contract is as close to perfect as it could have been.  I was not on board for paying Freeman like a #1 back.  It won't be until 2020 that his pay would reflect that of a #1 back.  2017-2019 is our window.  In 2020, we'll have to start paying our defense, and we might have to cut Free loose around then.  If my math is right, cutting him loose in 2020 would save us 3 million against the cap...  6 million if we spread it out between 2020 and 2021.

This should also let us make a reasonable #2 offer to TeCo when his time comes.

And to be honest, by the time Free reaches the "big money" years, the cap will have gone up at least another 20m

As a percentage of the cap, I'd argue that his deal gets "cheaper" over time

51 minutes ago, Five_Fifs said:

Overthecap is touch and go with listing incentives, so i can't guarantee anything. But it seems like all the money mentioned is accounted for in salary and/or bonuses

And to be honest, by the time Free reaches the "big money" years, the cap will have gone up at least another 20m

As a percentage of the cap, I'd argue that his deal gets "cheaper" over time

In addition to the part I bolded, there's also the reality that 3-4 years from now we may not some of the current bigger contracts on the roster either... specifically thinking of guys like Mack, Levitre, Sanu, and Alford.

In 3 years, Alex Mack will be 35 years old & be a $10.3M cap hit... if his play was starting to taper off due to age & we had his heir apparent waiting in the wings, letting him go at that point would be a realistic possibility that would save $8M in cap room & just $2M in dead money.

In 3 years, Alford will be 32 years old & carry a cap hit of $9.1M. Again, if his play starts to taper off with age & there's someone ready to take his spot, he cut be released at that point for a cap saving of $8.5M & just $600k in dead money.

In 3 years, Sanu will be 31 year old & carry a $7.9M cap hit. Like the others, if someone's ready to fill the spot & Sanu has started to slow down in production at that point, his release would create another $6.5M in cap space & 1.4M in dead money.

Levitre is only under contract through next season... when he will have a cap hit of $8.4M. He will be 33 years old once his current contract expires, and likely will be allowed to walk at that point in favor of a younger player.

Then there are guys like:
- Clayborn... $5.6M cap hit this season & only signed through this season.
- Reed... Also $5M+ cap hit
- Shelby... Cap hits of $5.75M next season & the year after, but can be released after next season for $4.5M in savings & $1.25 in dead money
- Schaub... only here this year & next, but will be 37 & carrying a $5.5M hit next season. Can be cut after this year for $4.25 in savings & $1.25 in dead money
- Bryant... still extremely solid now & defying the odds, but should he retire after this year, that'd be another $3M saved
- Toilolo... solid role player, but his cap hit will be $5M in 2019. He cut be let go at that point for a savings of $4M & $1M in dead money

Basically, TD has made sure to look ahead when signing these deals in order to be sure he will have flexibility to free up needed cap space when the time comes by replacing aging expensive vets with younger, cheaper players w/ upside.

When we need money to pay Free, and for that matter to extend Matthews, Vic, Debo, Neal, etc., it'll certainly be there.

2 hours ago, Five_Fifs said:

Per overthecap.com

Freemans cap numbers

2017- 4.42m
2018- 5m
2019-6.7m
2020- 9.5
2021- 9.25

Nice breakdown and well negotiated.   Actually, I'm sure if he's still producing well in 2021 - they'll extend and restructure the cap hit for 2021/2022 and forward.